Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
pound pull (Read 5035 times)
buger

I love Slinging.org!

pound pull
Sep 17th, 2006 at 9:01pm

what poundage pull is needed to kill a squirrel or rabbit with a home made bow and arrow

IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Re: pound pull
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 12:24am

I would think that if it were strong enough to get the arrow to the animal, that would be more than enough to kill it.  They are rather small and fragile after all.  10-15# should be plenty to pierce them sufficiently.

IP Logged

Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 4:55pm

Squirrels are among some of the toughest animals ever. Their hides are so shock resistant and their heads present a small target. I wouldn't go below 30# pull. Make sure your bow shoots well for its' weight, or I wouldn't go under 40#.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 6:12pm

strictly speaking, 15 is probably sufficient.

Of course, you'll have no accuracy and won't be able to hit anything. I'd use a bow suitable for target practice maybe ~35#min.

IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 10:11pm

squirreel hides arnt that thick,we hunt them with pellet guns soon occasion

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 9:38pm

Many states have minimum bow weight regulations for hunting.   For deer and such, it's usually in the 45-pound range.

BTW, I'm learning more than I ever thought I'd want to about bows and bowmaking.   I started out to make a "board" bow following directions off the internet.  First try was a failure, bad wood...

I'm now at about the same progress with #2, using a very nice piece of red oak.  I'm taking my time....remove a little wood, test the "tiller", remove a little more...   
Slow but sure.   Like they say, "the bow is in there somewhere."
I've been reading up on various "traditional" websites, and I just got the first copy of the 3-volume "Traditional Bowyer's Bible."
I'll take pics when I get closer to "done".

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 10:16pm

Quote:
Many states have minimum bow weight regulations for hunting.   For deer and such, it's usually in the 45-pound range.

BTW, I'm learning more than I ever thought I'd want to about bows and bowmaking.   I started out to make a "board" bow following directions off the internet.  First try was a failure, bad wood...

I'm now at about the same progress with #2, using a very nice piece of red oak.  I'm taking my time....remove a little wood, test the "tiller", remove a little more...   
Slow but sure.   Like they say, "the bow is in there somewhere."
I've been reading up on various "traditional" websites, and I just got the first copy of the 3-volume "Traditional Bowyer's Bible."
I'll take pics when I get closer to "done".

Sounds awesome! You may have seen my thread about a red oak bow, it really was a whole lot of fun. Since you're still working on it, consider taking some pics as you tiller and finish, as a tutorial on "Tillering and Finishing". It could turn into a quite nice resource. Best of luck Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2006 at 7:25pm

I considered doing just this, but the resources I am working from already exist in a form much better than I could manage.
I strongly reccomend the following sites:

http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/brdbows.html

and:

http://www.angelfire.com/magic/jawge/boardbowbuildalong.html

Both of these have a wealth of information.   There is also an excellent forum associated with the second site:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/tf/lw/threadsx2.cfm

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2006 at 10:56pm

Buger, I have seen trucks hit squirrels, not squish them with the tires but hit them with the bumper. The squirrel went flying a good twenty yards, and hopped up from where it landed like nothing happened.

IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2006 at 11:22pm

really,huh,but how does a bumper hit a squirrel

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:33am

Squirrel makes last-instant attempt to jump out of the way?  That could put the squirrel at bumper height, at impact.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

britishslinger

slings the handheld arlilery

Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2006 at 6:59am

i think there bloody tough when i shoot them with my caterpult the skin doesnt break but a hole appers under the skin and the ribs on the otherside are broken its the skin thats strong but it has to be ours would rip if we did the same things as a sqirrel

listen to old people

IP Logged

buger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2006 at 7:41pm

what part of britain are ya from

IP Logged

Weirdoinventor
Tiro

Who said bricks don't
fly?

Brabant, Europe.
Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2006 at 5:16am

I'm sure squirrels have a thick hide and are very resilient, but they are rather small animals. An arrow sticking 3 centimeters into a deer probably only hits musscle, a squirrel would be pierced.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2006 at 3:53pm

For rabbit or sguirrle u need no less than 150lb pull.
This is how it works you put a two inch washer 12inchs from the point of each arrow. you then find a rabbit near your house you position your self to fire at the rabbit in the dirrection of your house the arrow then picks up the varmit and delivers it to your door step
fresh rabbit deliver service Grin

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)