Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crossbow stock/trigger questions (Read 13814 times)
Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Crossbow stock/trigger questions
Sep 17th, 2006 at 4:44pm

Can someone provide me with some information on how to make various crossbow trigger mechanisms and how to form the stock in the most effective way? Thanks!

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
Re: Crossbow stock/trigger questions
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 5:45pm

I would recomend "The Crossbow" by Sir Ralph Payne-Galwey. There is a whole chapter of how to make stocks and triggers. You can use the lockbow design like in my thread about a new crossbow.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 6:36pm

Do some searches.   I found a half-dozen pages on crossbow design ranging from very simple to quite complex.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 1:39am

Matt C,                                                                         
         Indeed, do some google searches, as there is a lot of good stuff on the web now. For some really pretty pictures (drool!) to look at, try these links:                                                                                             

http://www.ironangel.com/crossbow.html/                                 

http://crossbows.biz/                                                       

http://www.crossbows.net/                                       

or go to google and type in New World Arbalest and hit search.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 5:40am

I made a crossbow recently(my second crossbow). The prod is made of multiple bamboo pieces tied together like a leaf spring. The prod is weak because I have no big bamboos. Just for experiments and fun. It's a chinese style crossbow. The crossbow can't shoot far and can't make a real weapon. Tongue

I eventually figured out an extremely simple solution for the trigger. Just nail a small section of 0.5mm x 7cm rectangular cut wood or bamboo near the slot for the string. The rectangular piece of wood should be able to rotate 360 degrees freely. This will push the string off the slot when pressed with the thumb from above. Very simple!

I'll draw a picture to show it later, as I don't have a camera right now. It works for me.

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 10:25am

I made a small cheesey crossbow once. Out of an old plexi glass bow that shoots plastic darts (got it when i was around 4... Grin) ya i used a clothes line hanger as the release mechanism.....LOL

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 3:21pm

Quote:
I made a crossbow recently(my second crossbow). The prod is made of multiple bamboo pieces tied together like a leaf spring. The prod is weak because I have no big bamboos. Just for experiments and fun. It's a chinese style crossbow. The crossbow can't shoot far and can't make a real weapon. Tongue

I eventually figured out an extremely simple solution for the trigger. Just nail a small section of 0.5mm x 7cm rectangular cut wood or bamboo near the slot for the string. The rectangular piece of wood should be able to rotate 360 degrees freely. This will push the string off the slot when pressed with the thumb from above. Very simple!

I'll draw a picture to show it later, as I don't have a camera right now. It works for me.

.5mm
Shocked

Tongue Roll Eyes   Sounds cool, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2006 at 9:09pm

Oops, sorry, not 0.5mm, it's cm, that means 5mm. Grin Embarrassed

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 8:01pm

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 8:12pm

A very utilitarian design. When I get around to making a crossbow, this will probably be what I use, thanks for posting Smiley

So that people don't have to follow the hyperlink:

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2006 at 8:17pm

I think this is my very little invention if I'm the first to think of this method.? Roll Eyes ??? ??? Roll Eyes

My actual crossbow should look like the one in the picture. Smiley

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 7:21pm

http://www.atarn.org/chinese/yn_xbow/yn_xbow.htm

This style, the quarrel is struck by the fast moving string rather than being pushed.

I placed the quarrel 2 inches away from the cocked string. Mine shoots best at this position.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 2:12am

Hey, Loh-kah-hoe!                                                            
         ThanX!! That is a very interesting link! Pretty pictures, too!  Cheesy
As for your own crossbow, you seem to have come up with the simplest possible design for a "notchlock" This type of lock mechanism is called a notchlock because the string fits into a notch to hold it in the full draw position. All of the others that I have seen have the release lever ( or trigger, if you prefer ) in the center of the stock, but this requires cutting a space into the stock to take the lever. I have never seen one before where the lever is simply pivoted on the SIDE of the stock.
         I would think that this might not work well because the string is released asymmetrically, but you say that it actually works quite well? I can see the advantage to this arrangement as it would be very easy to make.                                                                               
         Could you post some pictures for us?  Smiley                .......Dan

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 4:31am

I'm waiting for my sister's digital camera, don't know if she will lend me. Roll Eyes

But, the quarrel is placed 2 inches away from the notch, it will be hit by the string, so I think there will be no problem as there is time for the string to become straight.... ???

However accuracy does improve after slightly twisting the vanes for spinning. No pin-point accuracy, .... The quarrel flies quite straight at ten metres. Maybe now it leaves to the practice. ???

Back to the trigger, before, I made a similar trigger, but on both sides. That one I made long ago is very crude and not perfect. But, anyway this is better than levering with my own thumb. Roll Eyes

Someone should try this out to see if this really works for everyone. Smiley

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2006 at 3:02pm

Quote:
     Hey, Loh-kah-hoe!                                                            
         ThanX!! That is a very interesting link! Pretty pictures, too!  Cheesy
As for your own crossbow, you seem to have come up with the simplest possible design for a "notchlock" This type of lock mechanism is called a notchlock because the string fits into a notch to hold it in the full draw position. All of the others that I have seen have the release lever ( or trigger, if you prefer ) in the center of the stock, but this requires cutting a space into the stock to take the lever. I have never seen one before where the lever is simply pivoted on the SIDE of the stock.
         I would think that this might not work well because the string is released asymmetrically, but you say that it actually works quite well? I can see the advantage to this arrangement as it would be very easy to make.                                                                               
         Could you post some pictures for us?  Smiley                .......Dan

Tiss why my version of it will be fit into a centered slot Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)