Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
palms up or palms down (Read 2665 times)
lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
palms up or palms down
Sep 10th, 2006 at 6:53pm

When you cast over hand do you cast with your palm beginning up or beginning facing down I used to always have palm facing down in the starting position of the over hand but i find I hit my target   more with my palm facing up in the beginning position
any body else notice this or some thing similar

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
Re: palms up or palms down
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 7:18pm

The only overhand casts I commonly do are Apache (and some varieants) and figure 8.  For Apache I start with palm back, supinating it to get into the position rather than pronating.  For figure eight my palm is initially up and forward.  I'll have to try it with palm down to see if there is any difference for me.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 1:23am

Neither, actually.  When doing the Apache style, my arm is hanging right at my side and my palm is toward my leg.  For figure-8, my palm is toward my belly.  I have a kind of Greek not-quite-figure-8, where I start in Hondero's "en garde" position with my right arm actually a bit behind my head, then I drop the rock so that it swings behind my back and then up and over.  Hondero's en garde position, of course, has the palm facing outward away from oneself.

Hmmm ... OK, when I am starting a Greenfield-style underhand cast, my palm is typically toward the ground.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 3:38pm

well have you tried it the opsite dirrection

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 4:46pm

I have tried twisting my hand to alter how it's facing at release, but I have not tried changing how I orient my hand at the start.  Maybe I should try that and see what happens...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 12:29pm

I keep my palms facing up I think.
I think I would be disoriented switching it. Embarrassed

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 11:41am

which palm ?
(takes sling out of pocket to try and figure this out)
right hand palm kinds faces to the right and left faces down. At least that's what I call overhand :-)
so which palm do you mean the one holding the string or the one holding the pouch ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 1:50pm

The one holding the sling, I think.  The one holding the pouch and rock is palm-up, otherwise I drop the rock Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 3:41pm

The one holding the pouch?
Well, that means it changes depending on how I stand.
The one holding the cords is palm up. Shocked

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 10:29am

eaxctly not so simple a question after all - though I suspect lobo is using a different slinging style to me.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 12:09am

I finally figured out what you mean, lobohunter.  Yes, hands down, palm up is better!  I think there is less twists with the cords.  The same goes with figure 8 too.  Starting with the palm facing up give a smoother release. 

Thanks, my man! Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 8:26am

then please explain tint :-)
It looks like you're the only one who's figured it out :-)

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 9:24pm

I don't really know how to explain it.   Undecided I have always used the figure 8 starting with my palm facing down, after reading this I tried it with my palm facing up and the release feels abit cleaner!  I think it is because the cords have to rotate as the arm swing the sling around, by starting with the palm facing up there is half a turn less of that going on.  I guess you just have to go out and try it.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 3:12pm

which palm ?????????????????
The one holding the pouch or the one holding the strings . (sheesh) lol

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2006 at 4:54pm

I'll bet LoboHunter is just sitting back and laughing at all of us ... he started this big discussion and has not been back here at all, as far as I know.

I believe LoboHunter was asking about how we hold our sling hands, when doing the figure-8 (which he calls "overhand").

Lobo: if any of the above is wrong, get in here and tell us what you meant!

I noted earlier that I hold my hand various ways, depending on the style.  For the figure-8, I have always had my palm toward my belly.   I have gone back and looked at various videos: Nwmanitou holds his sling palm-to-belly with a narrow grip (and he is who I copied), Weaver holds his sling palm-up with a wide grip, and Ballard seems to hold his sling palm-down with a narrow grip.

So this morning I tried holding my hand palm-up, narrow grip, and it did change how I slung.  It did not affect my accuracy as far as I could see, but it did feel different.  I'll have to work with it a few more days to see if it makes any real difference.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick)