Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Optimum Shape for Range (Read 6814 times)
Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Optimum Shape for Range
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 3:54am

The specific gravity of cast Gold and Tungsten are virtually identical.

On a 'lighter' note.....(buddum bum)

Say you walked into a room with three tables, each upon which sat a cube of Gold.....a 6 inch cube, an 8 inch cube, and a 12 inch cube.  You are told that you can have whichever cube you first touch, provided you can carry it out of the room.

Which cube do you seize as your own!?

Wink

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 11:46am

Jungle, take a look back through the archives at our ongoing discussions on projectile shape and aerodynamics. We still need to transition some of those posts into the wiki.

Quote:
Bombs are much less dense than lead shapes. Aerodynamic shapes scale down quite well, rest assured they don't test full sized aircraft in wind tunnels.

I didn't say you couldn't do it, just that you had to be careful Wink. You can't simply scale down an object and test it without carefully adjusting the conditions to more accurately (and never perfectly, in most wind-tunnels) model the flow. For the purposes of estimating drag, or comparing drag of similar shapes, you usually want the reynold's numbers to match. For sling glandes, this is particularily important as we happen to be throwing at just about the right speed to cause all sorts of havoc with laminar/turbulent flow transitions. The bomb is *effectively* travelling much faster.

In terms of density, the material is much less dense than lead to be sure, but the object isn't, again thinking of scaling. If we assume that the bomb material is half as dense, and it is 20 times longer than our glans, when we shrink it down we get the following:

length = 20 times smaller
frontal area = 400 times smaller (!)
volume = 8000  times smaller (!!)
mass = 4000 times smaller

If we're talking about form drag, the important value is the projected area. The bomb is effectively 10 times more "dense" than the glans...

From a previous post, we figured the performance of a 140g glans thrown at ~65 m/s:

Stone sphere - 280m
Lead sphere - 340m
Lead ellipsoid - 370m
Zero drag - 410m

You can see a pretty big jump between stone and lead, and a smaller one for the ellipse. The total possible improvement over the lead glans is about 10%. If you could get half of that, it would add about 20m, which is nothing to sneer at!

Interestingly, if you can manage to throw heavier projectiles, you pick up nice gains as well. A 200g lead sphere is not very much bigger than a 100g sphere, and the aerodynamics work out in your favour.

Fun stuff!

Matthias

IP Logged

jungle
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 1:30pm

Interesting points, the bomb is still less dense, what you are trying to say is that it has a higher ballistic coefficient and this is true. This is primarily due to higher mass and a comparable CD.
Laminar flow is almost impossible to attain for any predictable period on a sphere. Most bodies will have a turbulent boundry layer close to the skin that may extend out for a few inches at high speed, less at low speed.
What we can safely say is that denser material shaped into the lowest drag form will yield the longest distance in ballistic flight.
The theoretical ranges you have listed for the 140g  shapes and materials are probably on the low side if one considers the accepted official records.  The longer time of flight allowed by lower drag  for a given velocity will always be reflected in a slightly higher optimal angle of launch to gain max distance.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 1:45pm

Quote:
The longer time of flight allowed by lower drag  for a given velocity will always be reflected in a slightly higher optimal angle of launch to gain max distance.

Undecided

You are implying that 45deg. is no longer the standard?

I'll sling what he's slinging!

Cheesy

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

jungle
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 2:18pm

45 degrees is only standard in the case of no air. With an atmosphere the optimal angle is reduced because of drag.
Since most of us won't be slinging off the space station 45 degree launch angles are not going to get you the max distance.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 2:25pm

Siguy,

Apologies for your long wait, I've been busy the last few days.  I finally dug out that chunk of steel rebar ("reinforcing bar") and slung it.  Three times, three styles: Greenfield underhand, Nwmanitou (or Spencer, or Weaver, or Ballard) figure-8, and Forsyth Apache.  Same results every time.  Based on watching my usual ammo, it was probably spinning at several hundred RPM (at least five revs per second).  But it was also precessing, at two or three complete cycles per second, at an angle of 30 or 40 degrees to the flight path.  The only thing I could have done to make it fly worse, would be to attach a parachute.

The sling I used has a flat (not cupped) pouch about an inch-and-a-quarter (a bit over 3 cm) wide, so the three-inch rebar stuck out both sides of the pouch.  I was careful to balance the rebar in the pouch, but it made no difference.  I do not think anything of these proportions can be slung effectively using an ordinary sling.  I am going back to my tennis balls, golf balls, and rocks with about a 2:1 length:width ratio.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

jungle
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 2:29pm

Just to clarify, depending on drag, optimal angle for launch to max distance is going to be around 29-36 degrees in air. With the higher number closer to something thrown from a sling. The 45 degree angle is only applicable to zero air, earth gravity conditions.

IP Logged

jungle
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #22 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 2:31pm

Dale, Without fins to keep the bar point on, it isn't going to work. Unless the nose can be kept pointing into the relative wind you may as well stick with rocks.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 3:07pm

Jungle,

Your statement regarding launch angle, while true of certain jumping and throwing events in traditional sport, and to some extent, the overhand style in slinging, fails to consider the underhand style, prolific among slingers....where angles nearing 45 degrees remain optimum, considering our comparatively humble ballistic velocities.  

BTW,  I forgot to welcome you to the forum.  

Welcome to the forum!  There is much one might learn here, if so inclined.....

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

jungle
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 3:31pm

I've already learned quite a bit about slings here. I hope that I can convince you to take a closer look at ballistics. This stuff is largely academic, but for someone wanting to break records it could be important.
45 degrees is never optimum for elevation of departure  of a ballistic object in the earth's atmosphere.
A 6:1 fineness ratio is near optimum for shapes in the range we are talking about.
If you take these two facts together with construction of the shape from dense material you will be closer to throwing as far as you are able.
You may have some other ideas and I'd be most interested in hearing them, but I think we can disregard those that run counter to known facts about ballistics.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 3:40pm

Quote:
You may have some other ideas and I'd be most interested in hearing them, but I think we can disregard those that run counter to known facts about ballistics.

Truly, I'm honored....and I agree, resistance to the facts about ballistics is futile.

Smiley

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

jungle
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #26 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 4:00pm

So what shape is best in a slingable object? I've got a few charts listing shapes with CD values if you need help.
There is a lot to learn if you are so inclined. Thanks for the warm welcome.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 4:24pm

There are several depending on style, of course.  Darts work best for me.  I don't want to come across as a 'know it all'....as some might have the custom, but those of us who have been slinging for a little while now prefer to go with what works.  

And what works for us, similar to world record flight archers....is an angle just under 45 degrees....mine seems to work out best at 43 degrees, nowhere near the inevitably disappointing results to be obtained at the range of "29-36 degrees" you advocated.

Record flight archer, Barry groves says it well:

Quote:
The optimum angle to shoot at for distance is theoretically 45 . However, as the arrow slows down as it travels due to friction through the air, the flightpath is not symmetrical and it is better to shoot at just under 45 . If you are shooting with the wind, aim a degree or so higher; if against it, a degree or so lower.

My reception to you as a new member on the forum was sincere.  Facts are often cold and hard.....I apologize if I too, seem that way.

And if it's any consolation....I do recognize the meat of your assertion that, in fact, 45 degrees is the standard best realized in a vacuum, like that of outer space.

I'm a great guy once you get to know me....

Lips Sealed

Honest!

Shocked

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

jungle
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 5:07pm

No problem, I enjoy a good dose of sarcasm coming and going. I just thought a discussion of ballistics might bear fruit for those searching for answers.
I think flight archery has some interesting projectiles, although the practicioners can't often explain just why they get the results they do. I also find it interesting that ancient glandes use about a 2:1 fineness ratio for a very real improvement in drag reduction over more sphere-like objects(no dimples needed).
I surely don't know it all, but it is obvious where real gains can be made without too much effort.
I don't really care about who is right, only what is right. Enjoyed the conversation, and thanks for your many excellent posts on slinging.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #29 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 7:31pm

Whats the whole thing with the dimples or whatever, how do they help drag? i see it on pro bikers using the dimple suits, i guess sharks have it and they swim faster, but i dont know 'why' exactly.

Anyone care to inform me of the specifics?

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)