Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Where is this image from? (Read 18338 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Where is this image from?
Reply #15 - May 4th, 2005 at 6:10pm

yes do you see how they are curved (the oars) i think that they are pretty big slings.  but i know little in this kind of thing.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #16 - May 5th, 2005 at 1:28am

Rob, your back!

-----------

Matthias, do you have any more images? 

Maybe someone can find a bronze age/viking/professor/historian and see what he/she things.  Hit up a university near you and let us know.

Chris

IP Logged

archeorob
Descens

Know when to duck!

Wisconsin
Reply #17 - May 5th, 2005 at 11:53am

Yeah, I re-surface everyonce in a while!  The weather's warmed up and the sling comes out.

The size differences in the pictograph don't really make a difference, the artists weren't interested in creating the image to scale - look at the size of the guys compared to the boat!  So, those aren't necessarily huge slings, just representative. 

The square sail isn't as indicative as one would think, but the rudder certainly is.  I'm going to change my vote over to scandinavian. Smiley

Rob

Archeorob rob+Fullmer  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #18 - May 5th, 2005 at 12:37pm

No kidding... square sails are pretty much everywhere but by lots of reckoning, bronze age boats aren't supposed to have stern rudders. The bow detail is pretty distinctive - unfortunately it is representative of ships found throughout europe. The Scandinavian pictographs are the closest I've found though... The lack of an upswept stern is telling too.

Chris do you have any other info about when/where you might have found this? Working on any projects at the time?

I think the obvious solution here might be for me to walk this over to the maritime archaeology prof and see what he can tell me.

Matthias

IP Logged

hellier

Betwixt a rock and a hard
place

Airlie Beach QLD Australia
Reply #19 - May 5th, 2005 at 11:05pm

Hard to say, given artistic license.....but I'd say oars or swords....based mainly on the the impression one gets of a band of men all pointing their weapons ( ??) at each other...viz the habit of yelling and waving your weapon at the enemy prior to battle.....also I'd be going for a steering oar at the back their rather than a rudder...

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #20 - May 7th, 2005 at 3:09am

"Chris do you have any other info about when/where you might have found this? Working on any projects at the time? "

It's creation date is Aug 8, 2004.  That must be the day I downloaded it.

Chris

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #21 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 2:36am

Quote:
I tried to draw a stick slinger so I could feel superior to those darn cave-slingers... Mine was worse so I guess it's back on the small bus for me.

They even let u OFF the small "special" bus??!! AMAZING....jk
they wont let me off without my "special" aid person there...hehe  Grin
(sorry this is an older post, but hey, couldnt pass up the oppurtunity)

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #22 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 2:55pm

Quote:
That's not funny, that's style plain and simple... Some of the Lascaux (for example) paintings have a quality of line and form that can make an artist shiver, and those are 17000 yrs old.

I guess since we don't know where the image comes from we don't know who made the interpretation that it is depicting slings.  I guess we'll never know if tthose egg-people are wielding slings, or pointy paddles or?..

maby they are just carrying shields?

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Crazy Tom
Tiro

rock (1) bunny (none)

Denver Colorado
Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 4:18pm

early fishermen beating the water to trap fish in the nets ( /// slanted lines) ???

Macgyver taught me how... ... ...

IP Logged

Crazy Tom
Tiro

rock (1) bunny (none)

Denver Colorado
Reply #24 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 4:22pm

i dont think it is half way finneshed, there is no rudder on the righte boat...

Macgyver taught me how... ... ...

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #25 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 3:22pm

If the pictures would really show slings this weapon must have been rather common. But in that case there should be at least significant numbers of sling stones found at archeological sites. Sling stones or clay balls are the best and most common evidence for the use of the sling.
My question: has there been found any sling ammo in Sweden?  (Concerning Danmark or the Cimbric peninsula I haven't heard about findings of sling ammo, so far.) Undecided

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #26 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 4:41pm

We have discussed Viking slings several times, here are 2 links: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=10768576%2075
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152377999/2#2
I do not know where in the viking world they were found.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2012 at 11:30am

Just for the record, that is the "Stele di Novilara", a Picenian engraved stone dating the 7th Century b.C. found in Novilara, region Marche, Italy.
It depicts a naval battle between a ship of Picenian or Illirian pirates and a ship of Picenian mercenaries that are defending a Greek ship.
Some details are missing in our representation here but on the original you can see dead people, slaves and agricultural products which are what the Greek ship was filled with.
Please note how both rudder on the Picenian ships were on a central position, turning on hinges, something that will be forgot and discovered again only in the late Middle Age.
Sources:
http://www.cadnet.marche.it/novilara/pagina3.html
http://etadelferro.forumfree.it
M. Fiorentini, "Lavorare con il fuoco - la metallurgia fra aspetti tecnici e storici per un'interpretazione antropologica", Ancona 2011.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 6:42am

and the curvy things are most likely swords not slings.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #29 - Sep 2nd, 2012 at 7:57am

Actually, I think at least 3 of them may be read as slings; the image we have on this site is incomplete because it doesn't depicts the dead bodies under the ship on the right; which are quite far from people on the left ship, so perhaps have been hit with some range weapon.
It's important to say that the first interpretation of that stele was that these people are wielding spears. Never seen a recurved spear before  Cheesy
I quite agree with the swords too because there were long curved swords in ancient Illiria (the opposite shore of the Picenum), but such long swords have not yet been found in the Picenum.
Again, bad English. Sorry sorry sorry  Sad
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)