Pirouette (Read 4412 times)
Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Pirouette
Sep 9th, 2006 at 12:57am

Anyone tried this technique?

I am getting very fond of throwing with this style!

It is full of power and quite accurate.  One os the disadvantage is that it requires a lot of space to perform.

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: Pirouette
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 10:11am

Yes, I've been developing this technique. Just whipping it horizontally wasn't giving me much power.
It isn't exactly a subtle technique, as you say, but it packs some oomf when performed correctly.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 9:24pm

Can you guys explain what this technique is. Basically how it works? I'm mostly just slinging side-arm from the Greek style. I'd love to find a more accurate and stronger style even if it does take space.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 10:50pm

Hey A_C,

You can find footage of it in my video here:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11568230...

The one where the body do a full 360.  I forgot to mention it takes quite a bit of pratice to throw with this style.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 4:31am

Tint,
Is it this video you are talking about:
http://www.slinging.org/movies/lo/fullspin.mpg
or this one: http://www.slinging.org/movies/lo/overheadfulltwist.mpg

(Not that I am likely to do either of them, when I sling I feel better with my feet rooted to the ground  Grin )

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

A_C

New York
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2006 at 10:18pm

Wow, that shot is pretty obviously powerful seeing how much of the body is behind it, but that does definitely take a lot of room and time. I'll probably end up giving it a few shots, but I'm thinking I'm stuck with the good ole Greek and Apache styles.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 8:14am

Grin

I meant the long-sling-360 throws I did at the later part of the music video.

i fell quite a few time before i could do it with confidence.  But once it "clicks" it feels amazing to throw with.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 3:10pm

i put together a longer sling, maybe four feet long folded.  it has a large ducttape pouch, and i tried the pirouette style with it, with my normal size ammo.  i found that style with that sling to be inefficient, and i was wasting alot of energy.  i felt this effect mostly when i went back to my sling and felt how much less motion it took to sling a rock harder and faster.  i think that if i were using a larger or heavier ammo than i usually do, then it would be worth the energy needed to sling with that combo.  but since i am using ammo that overages about 2 ounces, and i think the total weight of the sling is nearly that much, it is inefficient.

i think that when i get a chance i might take a trip to the river in the woods and get some bigger heavier stones and try this combo with those.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 4:40am

I've been slinging with this style for a better part of an hour.........I'm dizzy..........

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 10:37am

ps. change the music. It's a bit feeble for the video content. I think something along the lines of Accept's 'Balls to the wall',  would be more appropriate :-)
Even the lyrics work - kinda, well they certainly fit the character of Third Price Tint. Down with oppression and despots and all that ;-)
Though I thought dragons in chinese mythology weren't always bad (nor should they be) So why does he go slinging at the poor wee beasties ?
[url]http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/accept/balls+to+the+wall_20003438.html[/url]
(check your garlic-creation email tint :-)

I'm not entirely convinced that with a short sling I'd get any more power with a full 360 than I do with the 180 twist I use now.
That uses the anchored foot and waist to add power to the twist that I would lose in a full body turn.
Long sling, I can see the benefit.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 4:26pm

Or you could do AC/DC's Big Balls Tongue
Its so funny!

Im going to go out and try the pirouette now that I understand how it works.

I found this site which explains the pirouette:
http://www.alleria.com/?q=book/print/216

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 5:11pm

great site.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2006 at 11:19pm

Sorry about the music guys.  It was my brother's choice.  He is a classical musican and I thought with all the effort he put in I should at least let him be creative in that area.  I would definitly prefer heavy metal myself!  May be next time! Wink

That site is way cool, Bjarn!  I think I have read shorter version of it from long ago.  I believe it was written by one of the old old members here.  According to that, I have just recently move up a level by learning the pirouette! Grin

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 12:44am

Bjärn,

Whoever wrote that page on slinging, is obviously a slinger.  The essay includes brief but recognizable descriptions of the Apache and the Greek overhand styles, as well as the pirouette.  And the discussion of power versus accuracy is good.  Where did you find this?

EDIT: Oh ... I replied before I read Tint's reply to your message.  It makes sense that a Slinging.org member would have written that.  But I wonder which member?  We have several here who are gamers as well as slingers.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2006 at 6:22am

the pirouette 'described' in that passage (I presume from an rpg manual) is different.
He goes for an overhead release.

So tint, pirouette with an overhead release with an 11ft sling.
Can it be done ?????????????????
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)