targets? (Read 2034 times)
boneaxe
Tiro

Oh crap, were did that
one go!

spokane,wa  usa
targets?
Sep 2nd, 2006 at 9:04pm

Looking for any ideas on backyard target and or ways to catch ammo. Thanks in advance Grin

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: targets?
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 10:17pm

Catch ammo?  you don't mean catching by hand, do you? Grin

I sling tennis balls at a fence or a net.  When I sling stones I don't usually collect them back but i have slung at a indoor golf driving range a few time.  The safty nettings is strong enough to stop the rocks without breaking.

IP Logged

boneaxe
Tiro

Oh crap, were did that
one go!

spokane,wa  usa
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 10:41pm

Tint, I was actualy thinking with my teeth but I could try with my hands.  Grin Grin I think I came up with an idea that works. I put up a loose hanging tarp long enough to have the end out in front a few feet on the ground. I hung up an old army blanked behind that to stop anything that got through the tarp. I am using cast concrete ammo of different sizes so I want to keep as much of it as I can. Hits and drops straight down. Saw your vid... very cool stuff.

IP Logged

Lard_Kebabar

pew pew

Finland
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 2:38am

As for the target, you could make a scarecrow out of some old worn out clothes and stuff to fill them with. For the past few days me and some friends have been slinging at a scarecrow and it's quite a good target. Since it has only one stick on the ground it tends to spin a bit when hit though, but that just makes it more interesting.

I at least would recommend a scarecrow, unless one would be too large. Someone might think from afar that it's a person and be shocked and call the police or smack you though, but again that just makes it all the more interesting. Wink

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man and he'll eat for weeks!

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 5:58am

Yeah, our target is made from an old sweater and old jeans. And then we stuffed with hay and then we seal all the gaps with duct tape. Then we put it on a stick.

Some old people have stopped and started to stare at us when we sling this "man". It would be fun to know what they think. Smiley

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 7:06am

open end of trashcan with some old clothes at the back to stop the stones bouncing out. you lose stones if you miss, but that isn't a problem for me

Smiley

sv

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 11:07am

I have had success making targets out of coroplast. They make the political signs, and other similar signs out of it. It's a good use for them when they're done with them.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

boneaxe
Tiro

Oh crap, were did that
one go!

spokane,wa  usa
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 12:39pm

Cool ideas, thanks!

IP Logged

Conteilboos
Descens

USA, Arizona
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 5:33pm

Quote:
you lose stones if you miss, but that isn't a problem for me

Smiley

sv

Does this mean that you never miss!!!  Shocked or that you dont care about losing stones... Grin lol

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 9:10pm

I've made a large cardboard box target...

Reinforce the back, and leave one side open.(for the ammo to fly in.)
Then take a small circle of plastic or cardboard or whatever and suspend it from the sides, forming a V, with the circle in the centre.

Whether you hit or miss, you can still retrieve your ammo.  Wink

southpaw

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 9:13pm

And yes, if you've seen sv in action or read his accuracy posts...you'll know...he doesn't miss. 8) Wink

His last record was like, 5/7 times at a 1 inch stick and 15 paces Shocked

(something like that Wink)

southpaw

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 4:24pm

Here's an easy & cheap target, just suspend a rope between 2 trees or poles about 7 or 8 feet up and hang a heavy blanket from it. You can put whatever you want in front of the blanket to shoot at and whatever misses your target and hits the blanket will just plop on the ground. Make sure the blanket is not pulled taught, the loose blanket flapping around when you shoot it is what will absorb the energy of your projectile.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)