Fun new ammo (Read 2216 times)
boneaxe
Tiro

Oh crap, were did that
one go!

spokane,wa  usa
Fun new ammo
Sep 2nd, 2006 at 7:20pm

I was at the local dollar store today looking for new ammo ideas and found a fun one........super balls! I bought them eight for buck in bright colors and they really fly. Took them down to the park and with an underhand swing could launch them almost a block and a half, only lost one.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Fun new ammo
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 8:13pm

wow.  yeah i am always on the lookout for some new ammo possibilities

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2006 at 10:20pm

I played around with a super ball once.  Had a blast slinging it at a wall!  It was torn to pieces in the end. 8)

IP Logged

Nakki

We sling in Finland too

Finland, Espoo
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 6:04am

I tried the same idea, but in indoors. I was training some new styles and had a superball as a weight in my sling. Then the most terrible thing happened to me, the superball went airborn, it bounced around in my house and ended up in my forehead. Funny experience when I think it now, but I'm not going to do that again for sure. Grin

Dum spiro, spero.

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 4:32pm

Super balls are great ! Try slinging it at something solid. If Im planning to sling at a park I'll usually use 6 or 7 neon green or orange field hockey or lacrosse balls. Ill sling them all across a few soccer fields (football pitches) and ride my bike over to where they landed and sling them back.

IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 10:34pm

Take the super balls and sling them either straight down a big empty street, or try to make it land on a parking lot, its fun to see em go so high, come down and bounce again.

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 12:47am

Yeah, but you may never find it again!
or worse hit someone walking by.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 2:43pm

when you were younger, did you ever take a super ball and hurl it at the ground right in front of you just to see how high you could get it to bounce?  i used to all the time (very carefully of course to not lose my balls  Wink )

well not so long ago i decided to try the same thing, but with a sling.  i can tell you that on the preliminary throw, which was not very hard at all, using an overhand windup, the ball went higher than it could go if i threw it by hand, and then i lost it, so i never had the chance to try harder.

this is pretty fun to try, in addition to regular slinging with these.  i wonder what the limit would be...

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 4:14am

well the limit might be losing it to 0 gravity... could happen  Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 9:18am

I did that with the high bounce balls, glass marbles off  something hard like stone flags or concrete bounce even better.  One I played with a lot is shale, fairly useless ammo for serious slinging as it is so light and, often,  flat.  If you get the stuff from rivers it can be quite smooth though.  It's great for shooting at walls or cliffs.  If the range is fairly short it disintegrates in a puff of dust, which looks good, and leaves a small pointed cone behind.  You can draw the targets with it too.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

slinginginmass
Descens

Memorize A440

massachusetts
Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 1:51pm

Ever bounce a golf ball off a boulder from 200 yds? Big time bounce !!  But nothing is more satisfying than having a flat granite target to vaporize your sling stones on. The sound of stone hitting stone at high speeds is one of my favorite things, and the little bits of stone falling back to earth through the trees and brush, like a mini asteroid impact !!
I just got myself all pumped up talking like that, Im off to the woods !!

IP Logged

Grizzly
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 11:40am

I haven't tried this yet, just found it - solid wooden 1" balls or solid 3/4 " iron balls for $ 0.50 each from this trebuchet kit:

http://www.trebuchet.com/kit/tabletop/

Potentially lethal, so exercise caution!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man)