Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First and second Baltic slinging championship (Read 1882 times)
Demagogs
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Riga, Latvia
First and second Baltic slinging championship
Aug 29th, 2006 at 4:18pm

So this last weekend in Apuole, Lithuania, first and second unofficial Baltic slinging championships took place. Actually it turned out to be just Baltic nations championship, because we didn't find a single slinging Estonian. 2 Lithuanians and some 5 Latvians took part, one of Lithuanians being JustKnot (Justas) from this same forum and one of the Latvians being me.
There were two championships because after the first another slinger arrived and we had to start the next one Cheesy
Winner of the first championship was JustKnot (hooray!) and of the second Ugis from Latvia.

I had come to Apuole with intention of spreading the slinging desease, and with the help of JustKnot we tried to do that. Here is what i have learned.

Figure-8 is way too hard for beginners.

Apache is often too weak to impress beginning slingers.

Underhand is easy for beginners and it gives nice distance and shows slings potential, thus encouraging beginners. But it is way too dangerous!!! One kid managed to launch one potatoe and one rock (!!!!) high up-and-behind in the air. We were just lucky no one got hit. (potatoes were old and quite "soggy", so no serious harm would have been done, but it would hurt a lot still. the stone would be differrent story).

I was afraid to allow multiple rotations and horizontal releases. This sadly limited available styles. Though some kids got really good at Apache after some practice! Better than me for sure.

I had made a number of slings and JustKnot also had some. But my slings were all ~85cm in lenght, wich is too long for some kids. Have to bring several lenght slings.

One-string- sling http://www.slinging.org/42.html is a really good sling to give to the most promising slingers so they have something until they make their own. Thanks JustKnot.

Most of our to-be slingers were kids 4-14 years old. Sadly just a couple of adult-like people showed enthusiasm the kids had. I guess if we could show people that sling can be as accurate and powerful as bow, this would change. I have to become hell of a better at accuracy. Cheesy

Reinis
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2006 at 2:16am by Demagogs »  

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: First and second Baltic slinging championship
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 4:23pm

that is great news.  so that makes more than one get together that is multi-member (though you guys most likely get together often and hang out and sling and stuff, so...) get together.  this one was a competition though, and not just a hang out, so that is cool.  was there alot of interest in it, or were they all just sort of looking for something to do until their TV show came on?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 5:48pm

hey, Reinis, you forgot to mention those three girls who got interested in slinging, I must admit all of them were quite successful as beginners... Roll Eyes

BTW 2 lithuanians? I thought we had 6 latvians and only me being lithuanian Grin
and I would rather call the second event The Baltic Cup as it had knock-out system

as for space, yep... it was way too limited for teaching slinging effectively and safely... I think we should get that meadow down the hill (behind that field kitchen) mowed for the next year - that would be a great place, ppl could spectate us from the top while we teaching others or competing

hmm... don't know exactly if that what I do is Apache... I think I should get some videos with me doing that "apache" and the improved "apache with no starting stance", or whatever that style is...

Good luck at improving your accuracy, you'll need that next year to beat me 8) (and what a modest guy you are, you didn't mention that you became vice-champion, congrats to ya too Cheesy)

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2006 at 4:12pm

A slinging championship, great thing!
When and where will you hold the next one?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2006 at 5:20am

Is there a Baltic or Lithuanian Slinging Federation yet?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 2:43pm

Demagogs and Justknot,

will there bee a third baltic slinging competition in 2007?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:55pm

Sure, as long as Apuole festival will take place Cool
If not, we'll have to find a new place and date for it

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick)