Send Topic Print
leonardo's atlatl (Read 5717 times)
Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
leonardo's atlatl
Aug 21st, 2006 at 6:46pm

i have seen a drawing of lonardo's version of atlatl, 3 versions acctualy.

in the first one the javelin has a small leather loop straped around it's middle (or more to the end) , so that the tip of the spear ends allmost at the grip of the thrower.

the second one has the thrower shorter, but the strap is now longer, allmost sling-like.

the third one is without the leather, but rather with a small-protruding-part/notch wich is gripped by a hooked end of the thrower.

the main thing about them is that the thrower does not apply it's force to the butt od the javelin, but to it's middle section. in all three versions the spearhead is just before the wrist that is holding the thrower.

so - is this design his invention, or is it known from before, and is anyone using it now, or can anyone guess the difference in effect from the "classic" design?

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: leonardo's atlatl
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 8:50pm

this is a little confusing.  can you find some pics for me please?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 9:35pm

I have seen pictures for some of da Vinci's weapon sketches, even on this site, but haven't seen any lately. If I do, I'll post them here. I know he drew a sketch for a skepifletta, a stone throwing weapon (there you go, Slingbadger)!

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 11:42am

i tried to find the pic's on the net, but i couldn't find that one.

take your normal atlatl and javelins like you would throw with it. now move the atlatl down the shaft so that the spearhead is just behind (not over or in front of) your fingers.

ok. you can't cast now because the javelin is not fixed to the atlatl, but that can be solved by rereading those three designes from above.

this is a javelin: ----------->

this is an atlatl:  <_______

this is a notch in a javelin:    ---,---

those are the fingers: ###

and dots are for empty space: .............

so standard would be:

....------------------------>
<__________###

but on his drawing it looks like:

---------,------------>
......... <_________###

(sizes not represented)

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 12:35pm

Ok I get it. Maybe that would help the balance. I'll have to try that out.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 1:03pm

now i understand that.  there are toys like that, where there is a hook near the tip that you put the hook of the atlatl type thing into intead of using the back end.  these are a little easier for the kids to operate because it releases on its own, and you don't have to worry about the timing

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 10:54am

That thing is called an amentum. Iv'e brought it up before. It goes back to Ancient Rome, at least as far as the Pelopennesian wars. It faded in the 1st cent. AD.
   What you do is wrap the lanyard around the spear, and have your index finger in the last bit of loop, on the outside of the spear.
  It is cast from the side, much like an overhand sling cast. You flick the index finger as you launch. This makes the lanyard unwind, which starts the spear spinning. What happens is you have a self rifling javelin, no fletching needed, like on an arrow or atlatl.
   The Africans had an equivalent called an assegai, which they can make fly 200 feet with pinpoint accuracy.
It also appears seperatly in some areas of Asia.
  The proper place to put the lanyard is not halfway, like Leonardo has it. (I have the same picture. He as not always right about what he drew) Instead you measure one sixth the way up from the rear, and place it there.
   I have an amentum made from a shaft and an old throwing knife for the point. So far I have casts of 50-60 feet with consistant accuracy.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 2:06pm

but that's not the same thing. he has a solid launcher, and you are describing a leather thong, if i'm not wrong.

the amentum produces spin...

and from what i know leonardo is ALLWAYS right, but he may not show it.  Tongue

(no, really - he made some of his plans useless to all others by drawing the key part wrong, reversed, or sth similar.but the pic that i have seen has the left border cut out, so i couldn't see the real proportions.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 3:23pm

and he always wrote stuff backwards so that noone could read it, which back then was pretty sophisticated ish

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 4:35pm

regarding one of his designs, the one with the metal hooks protruding from the launcher that would catch the metal rods sticking out of the sides of the dart, what is to keep the dart from rolling out or up from the launcher? wouldn't you have to hold the whole contraption with two hands, negating the ease of the machine?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 8:54am

Regarding the backwards writing, he wrote left handed. The way he wrote was easier for a left handed person. This way the ink that he used wasn't smeared by his hand. Cry
  Iv'e seen the amentum with the stick, and frankly, I have my doubts about it working. I guess someone will just have to experiment.
  He also shows a sling that launches a caltrop like projectile. The problem I see with that is one of the spikes getting caught up in the sling.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2006 at 2:00pm

well with the sling, the whole caltrop hangs down under the sling, and it really just is like a flail, but when you release one string, the loop the caltrop is hanging from slides off and forward

IP Logged

Lathron
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 8:56am

slightly off-topic - i've found that you can easiliy induce drag to javelins by tying thin cords at the rear, like a tassel. it puts it on straight path but also shortens the range somewhat Undecided

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2006 at 10:28am

Yeah, if I remember correctly, there are some styles of Japanese shuriken that function on that same principle. Makes them look pretty, too! So, by the time the enemy gets hit with one of your pretty spears, they're so enthralled watching it sail through the air they don't notice the gaping hole in their ribcage or the absence of the gent next to them.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 8:11pm

Ouch!

By the way i dont know if badger has said anything, but the shaft of his precious armentum has snapped Angry

Poor guy Cry

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)