Send Topic Print
Post Your Ranges (Read 22062 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: Post Your Ranges
Reply #30 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 4:10pm

where you at in ohio? im in salineville close to canton about 2 hours away. and  yes yesterday was a nice day

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #31 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 4:50pm

Berea, the home of the illustrious? Cleveland Browns.

Thomas

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #32 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 3:25pm

I just finished slinging twenty golf balls, sling is a leather pouch design after Yurek's pattern where the ends over lap, the lines are made from lawn mower pull cord, which is about an eighth of an inch diameter braided line, surgeon's loop on the retention cord and a monkey's fist on the release. Thirty six inches from release knot to center of pouch.
I used a rollotape to measure distance(which is a wheel with a counter and one handle). They ranged from 282 feet to 383 feet. I used the overhead horizontal throw and the under hand. It looked like the underhand ones went the farthest, due to much higher arc of the throw.
I threw into a mowed prairie grass field and I did see most of them bounce one time. The wind is north at ten mph and I was throwing west. I just knew I could throw further, and maybe another day I will, but that is it for now.
Oscar

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 8:37am

Hi Lepidina, as Yurek say the clay projectiles are very light, of an average weight of 30 gr. but their shape is usually elliptical and Romans don´t use them except their mercenary troops from Africa. Your projectiles are almost spherical and could be also balls for a kind of game. From where are they?
Hondero

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

lepidina
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #34 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 10:49am

Dear Yurek and Hondero,
Thank you for your messages. IU have since then been looking around some more. These clay sling shot occurs quite widely in Roman forts, from the mid 1st to mid 2nd century, and I found a reference to a cache of 75 of them in the fort at Ardoch in Scotland. Mine come from a neighbouring fort, Drumquhassle on Loch Lomond. And yes one is very nearly a marble (and I originally classified it as such), but the other is the typical biconical shape, just bigger.

I also found a reference in Caesar to slingers firing clay balls that have been heated red hot before being slung into the thatch of a Gallic settlement as an incendiary device.

I am intrigued.
a) how would this work? Surely you would set the sling on fire if you used a normal grass or leather sling.
b) how do you not kill half of your neighbours with misfiring shot?
c) would you prepare pre-baked balls and keep them just in case you need them in your fort?

I just cannot imagine these things working in anything but a siege setting and then it would be easier to make them fresh, instead of carrying them around.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #35 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:27pm

fired clay is not that heavey if you make small glands. I have fired some and shoved them into my back pack and they did not way me down that much.  My  incendiary device was in a bowl maybe then would put a small clay plate on the bottom of the sling and throw that sucker quickley! I dont know if that would work or not. I may have to try it come summer time.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #36 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:31pm

err let me clear that up a bit. I use a bowl filled with burning pitch and im trying to mix in different things to get it to burn better. I think maybe they could put a small clay plate or pad in the bottom of the sling? that may keep it from catching the whole works on fire.  or it may not Undecided. Ill try it this summer and let you guys know how it works.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #37 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 8:59pm

O. k some times I can not resist
THIS DEFINITELY FALLS UNDER THE CATEGORY OF DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

I cut some two inch chunks of one inch mild steel rod
took six put them in the forge heated them to bright yellow about 2500 degree's farenheight. Changed out target to the bottom of old wooden rain barrel. Grabbed old leather sling I no longer use. took leather gloves, gauntlets, tied down smithy apron and old metal hard hat.
Used tongs grab bright yellow chunk of steel carefully inserted into leather pouch, which i spayed with fire retardant (which really stinks when it burns by the way)
using over hand style to hurls before mentioned chunk of steel. I the hit barrel. Went though barrel! Hit the cedar fence.
Cedar fence started smoking. By the time i got there with the hose,it was flaming. Hit barrel again, Went though barrel again. Lost site of gland, seconds later wood rain barrel burning. gland some how got underneath barrel. ended experiment.
I am a professional  black smith do not do this at your house or any where else.
But oh my goodness if you wish to cause great havoc this could work. I do under stand why the Romans would go to such trouble.
Nero would love this maneuver
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:04am by lobohunter »  
Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #38 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 12:18am

I can't do that at home even if I try. Tongue

You are the man, Lobohunter (aka the sling addict)

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #39 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 1:28am

Good one! Lobohubter!  Grin

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 9:53am

haha you beat my incendiary by a long shot Smiley but that sounds very cool i wish i was there. Or had the reasorses to do that kind of thing. Wasent you afraide of catching the whole place on fire? that would of sucked. I try to throw my stuff at a parking lot near a lake. but that sounds very very cool.  Grin

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #41 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 9:56am

you will notice in the post that I stoped after two shot's even though  I had six heated up. so the anwser is yes

IP Logged

lepidina
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #42 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:23am

oops, what have I started Embarrassed.
Apart from a mental image that made me chuckle (yes, I do like Wily Coyote), I think we can put that down as successful experiment. These Romans really have a warped sense of the world and what they would like to do with it.  Grin

Please everybody, don't make me responsible for some major fires across two continents. But I would dearly love to quote you in an academic paper. Any objections?

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #43 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:28am

no objections here

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #44 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 8:09am

ive had fire safety ground into me since i could talk Smiley if you want to quote me go for it Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)