Send Topic Print
Post Your Ranges (Read 22060 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Post Your Ranges
Feb 7th, 2005 at 6:15pm

This is the official call for sling ranges!  This information will be compiled onto a single page and be a new section on the main site. 

Please post your range, sling length, projectile type, weight, date (approx.), and anything else you think would be useful to add. 

Chris

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Post Your Ranges
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 9:17pm

I have a question that i don't think has ever been asked yet. How do you tell range if you can't find you projectile afterward? I sling near lakes and lake banks so it is hard to find the projectile after i sling it. Laser range finders are too much (at least 300 dollars). Is there any other way, beside walking to where the projectle might have landed, that is fairly acurate?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 10:01pm

Ya gotta find it, to measure it! Grin Find a large field or parking lot--with no cars--or a large construction site where you can see the mark where it lands in the dirt. For you guys in the snow, that may be impossible at this time Undecided

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 3:24am

buy cheap bright colored spray paint, another trick I use for egg sinkers is mini light sticks one the larger sinkers they fit right in the hole. Slinging in the at dusk becomes a lot mor fun then.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 3:31am

all right some one had to dive into the water first and since I already compiled most of this info:
this was done on sunday feb 6th with a leather 43 inch sling with a wide grip
Here is my week end report of distances for various ammo's and weight's
heres what I took with me to the abandoned air field
6 foos balls weight about 1.5 ounces or 42.5 grams
6 egg shaped stones all selected for their weight of
3 ounces or 85 grams
6 clay glands 3 ounces or 85 grams
6 weighted golf balls 4 ounces each or 162.50 grams
6 lead egg sinkers 6 ounces or 170 grams
I was totally surprised by what gave me the most distance
these were all cast under hand. my over hand style produce much less distance
the following distances were gained by casting all ammo  
out in one group, say the foo's balls then pace out to them and then back averaging the two pace counts then converting the pace count to yards. then averaging all 6 for each group
foo's balls 96.42 yards or 88.17 meters
stones 193.9 yards or 177.30 meters
clay 162.5 yd. or 148.59 meters
weighted golf balls 214.5 yards or 196 meters
egg sinkers 216 yards or 198.15 meters
I did not suspect that the six ounce egg sinkers would go the furthest
next time I am going to try small egg sinkers and see if i can get that distance up.
one more note most of my shot's landed in a ten foot radius per group. that kinda impressed me.
these were just some different ammo i had laying around except four the weighted golf ball they were weighted heavier  I altered the weight before heading out
oh one last thing  my pace count is converted by paces multiplied length of pace (39 inches)
sum divided by standard (36 inches) to get yards  

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 2:14pm

Thanks Lobohunter. You've got an amazingly consistent throw. As the first to respond to the call for range data, you get the first crunched feedback.

And the calculator says: (Drumroll please....)

48m/s (157.5 fps/107.4mph) - almost the same speed for every throw! It looks like you might be a little quicker with the lighter ammo, but the spread is smaller than I would have thought. With a bunch of assumptions, it looks like foos have about the same behavious as tennis balls.

Moving to "aero" lead might buy you another 15-20m, but you should get an even bigger boost if you can up your speed by a few percent. There is a zone that starts in the mid 50s that pushes the flow into a low-drag pattern. I have a feeling that many of us are just short of hitting the "sweet spot".

Have you posted pictures of your clay glandes, or barring that, would it be possible to measure them?

Thanks!

Matthias

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 4:46pm

well thats very interesting guess I need to get my hyper exelration technique working with under hand
the clay glands are slighty oval 5mm x 4.5mm.
so you are saying that getting into the mid 50t's would increase range. By how much.
This is very interesting, but I admit my main interst is under fifty yards. Infact this is the first time in over six month's I have thrown for range.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:03pm

Matthias,

Cool stats. "There is a zone that starts in the mid 50s that pushes the flow into a low-drag pattern." What do you mean by this? 50 what??

Thanks, I will see if I can strain my arm this weekend. Grin

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:10pm

i was going to go to a field to try and find out my ranges and where going down the high way(i was not driving) at about 55 mph and all of a sudden the car starts shaking and it stalls and all sorts of nastyness. Haha i never did get to go measure my slinging distance.

im only a algebra 1 student but dont you have to have the time it took to travel the distance and distance to get speed?

time X distance = speed something like that.

or is there some kind of formula i dont know of?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 7:31pm

Hey guys,

DtB - you are right - if the glans was moving at a constant speed, then you could use the time of flight to work backward. I'm actually "reverse-engineering" the throw by running my simulator to figure out which initial conditions you need to hit the ranges reported. The sim takes into account the size/weight/shape/surface of the glans as well as the throw characteristics and environmental conditions (at least it is _supposed_ to Grin) Basically I punch in the properties for Lobo's golfballs, then see how hard I need to throw it to get the same range!

The "sweet spot" I've mentioned is due to a neat change that happens when the air flowing over the glans transitions from smoothly slipping over to turbulent tumbling around the shape. Contrary to what you might expect, for certain shapes you end up with less drag with the turbulent flow. Hondero posted the "famous" Achenbach results dealing with this effect in our physics thread.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?
board=project;action=display;num=1091676756;start=33#33

About halfway down the following page you can see some pictures illustration the effect.

http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys136d/modules/m1/bernoulli.htm

The 50s was meant to read as metres per second. once you get to about 60, you start to get the benefit without having to use tricks to manipulated the boundary layer. These "tricks" show up all over the place once you know where to look - I'll put together a list of examples...

Matthias

IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 10:10pm

Why can't I get over 150 feet, even with a 51" sling and smooth, easter-egg sized and shaped rocks??? I'm 6'3" and pretty strong I would think I can also throw pretty hard!

Anyhow, there's an idea of my throws with some whining thrown in Smiley

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 11:39pm

Hey Wildman,

You must mean 150 yards ??? You must be doing something bad wrong. That is only 60 feet past first base from home plate. Are you sure about that distance?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 12:48am

Could be he needs some SNAP! If that is the case, I'd recommend cutting a sling waaay down to maybe 24" and practicing a bit. The shorter sling is so "fast" that it almost forces ood form on you. Once you have it figured out (150yds is perfectly reasonable with a 2 foot sling) you can go to longer cords and slow things down a bit.

Matthias

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 7:42am

Matthias, I agree with you 100%! I on the other hand need to start working on the longer sling. I can sling as far with my 25 inch sling as with my longer ones. Long slings have so much drag I guess.

The short sling is much faster and puts more strain on the arm since it is doing more of the work to get the distance but I think it would be wise for everyone to begin slinging with a sling around 25" (average size man --a younger child would use an even shorter sling)
They are much easier to control and be accurate with. As you feel confident, increase the length. Plus, with longer slings beginners will probably get the projectiles tangled in the cords now and then on release.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 9:21am

My vote for starter sling length is fingertip to shoulder.  There seems to be something about sling-length equal to arm length that "feels right".   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)