Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question on slinging in antiquity (Read 2490 times)
samael
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

question on slinging in antiquity
Aug 20th, 2006 at 11:00am

Hello,

perhaps somebody could provide some help in my question on slinging.

i am interested in Ancient Near Eastern warfare and found a text of an Assyrian ruler of the 8th/7th century BC.
It contains a passage usually understood as referring to slings.
According to the common view at this passage, slingers wore rings or bracelets of gold at their wrists or hands to which one end of the sling was attached. It has been thought that these bracelets or rings were used in order to avoid that the sling slipped out of the hands of the soldier when firing.
The crucial point in this question is that the term usually interpreted as sling could possibly designate something else.

Are there any parallels known? I would be happy if anybody could substantially comment on my question.

Thank you very much.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: question on slinging in antiquity
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 12:23pm

i suppose there could be some kind of mace or club that was attached by a rope to these rings, which could have interpreted as a sling

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2006 at 1:10pm

Samael, I'd love to know the source of your reference. It sounds like a plausible thing. Iv'e had more than one sling fly out of my hand. Never had that problem with wrist loops.
  However, I don,t know about them being made of gold. Too fragile and expensive, especially since slingers of the time were of a low rank in the military, usually drawn from the common people. Most were lucky if they got a small wicker shield to defend themselves with.
Could they have been gold colored, like brass or bronze?? That makes more sense. Even a leather wristband would have worked.
     I can just see the slingers wrapping the slings around their forearms after battle, while the regulars had to lug out shield and sword.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 12:38pm

If one was slinging small shots I think that a fabric loop would be more practical, however if one was slinging heavy stuff a flexible loop would tend to close under tension which may be awkward so maybe rigid  rings were used.  Hammer, shot put, discus all had martial origins, it seems logical that some sort of heavyweight hand sling was also used.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)