Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Do your friends sling? (Read 6471 times)
SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Re: Do your friends sling?
Reply #45 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 4:20pm

Hey aardvark i would like to thank you for saving me from them butchering me Wink

I didn't think as deep as he did when i wrote that but he is kind of right... plus theres the use of the clay or whatever ones that can make a big dust cloud Tongue

Anyway to the rest of you who took a stab at me... poo you Shocked

(P.S. - If your going to attack anything else i have said... pleause dont  Cry )
Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #46 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 4:41pm

hey ardvark, i was just wondering out of curiosity; what sort of stuff do you do other than muscle building that you would get to swing big honking weapons around.  i am not being a critic, merely curious, because it sounds like a potential job for myself

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #47 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 8:16am

lol, not muscle building. Strength training. Different thing entirely.
Bulky tight muscles tend to be of limited use as they are often short and lead to lack of mobility - but heh, they look nice lol.
Body builders tend to go for huge repititions of fairly light weights (obviously its all relative) with a short stroke - this builds large short muscles. Of little use in the real world.
I tend to go for fewer repititions of heavier weights with a much longer stroke. On a chest press I'll bring my hands back level with my shoulders - a body builder would usually just bring it back so his forearms and elbow form a right angle, leaving his hands well in front of his chest. It would give him short bulky muscles. Longer muscles tend to be stronger and more useful.

Check out the top strength athletes the vast majority aren't cut, but are much stronger than body builders. I'm not even close to their strength. But I can shift over 100kg with every major muscle group. I can press over 200kg with legs alone and my back's stronger than my legs. I can press 110kg over head, don't sound like much but in the major strength competitions they tend to use 120-130 kg for repetition log lifts.

As for swinging heavy things around. Not a job I'm afraid. But I've always done a bit of staff: twirling, spinning while walking the dogs, and I can spin a 3ft long 9 pound log at arms length one handed fairly easily.
Give me a sledge hammer and something to smash and I'll keep going all day and thoroughly enjoy myself.

But on the subject of armoured kniggets (monty python strike again) The medieval name for an unhorsed knight was carrion - 'cos once off their horses they're dead meat.  Can't run, too slow too fight effectively, lousy balance. knock them over and they couldn't stand up.
And whether or not a slung projectile would penetrate a kniggets helmet - 4-6 ounces of lead impacting on your head at high velocity, stands a bloody good chance of knocking you well off balance, inducing whiplash and possible concussion.

The horses were as heavily armoured as the knights for the very sensible reason a horse is a much bigger target than a knight. take out the horse and you've effectively taken out the knight.

I'll fight an idiot on foot wearing full armour, myself unarmoured and on foot any day of the week. ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #48 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 8:39am

From what I hear and I may well be mistaken, a knigget would train for most of his time in his armour, and would be well used to the weight and heft of it by the time a battle came around. On this great show that used to be on, called "Conquest" one of their shows was about how to defeat an armoured knight and they showed that a man in armour made specifically for him, trained it in extensively and used to its litt e"quirks" was actually surprisingly agile and could get up relatively easily if knocked down. Maybe not fast enough to dodge an angry peasant from getting a good kick in his nadgers, or a rock to the head but thats why you got a codpiece and a helm, mate! One of their guys, I think , was in plate armour, got knocked over and got up, unassisted.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)