Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spin (Read 1250 times)
southpaw
Descens

Spin
Aug 16th, 2006 at 12:01am

So, I was out slinging today, and I found that the sling produces spin. While doing the Greek overhand, (I'm a lefty) the ball curved to the left after a fairly long distance. And in practicing the fig. 8, (though I still can't get good distance yet...not sure why Undecided) it stayed in level flight longer than usual.
Do any of you folks experience this???

Southpaw

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Spin
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 12:18am

spin has been discussed pretty extensively here among other places:

the magnus effect

Casting Style, Grip and realease vs Ammunition

spin!

just click the words to take you to the discussion

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 1:38pm

Thanks. Wink 8)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 3:11pm

get a flattish stone and give it some welly with a sideways style, you can practically sling round corners and it makes a great whirring sound :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 10:42pm

I tried it yesterday, it's fun! Grin
Normally I don't get to sling rocks. If I want to practice I'll go down to the baseball diamond with some tennis balls...rocks = demolition. (where I live Wink)

southpaw

IP Logged

cipher20
Tiro

NJ, USA
consistent spin
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2006 at 1:30pm

Ok, after my last session of breaking in my new sling, I had to revive this topic.  With my newly made braided/woven hemp sling I was out breaking it in and trying to develop a version of the figure 8 cast that suited me better.  I have always had a problem with straight overhand and underhand releases for whatever reason.  So I adopted a figure 8 variant that releases sidearm rather than over the top.  I noticed that with a good 90-95% of my casts I put spin on the rock that drove it into the ground.  It would leave the sling at a slight upward angle to accomodate my target area about 50 meters away and would practically dive into the ground at ~30 meters.  The ground is soft from some rain last night so the stones didn't even bounce most of the time, but would just bury themselves a good inch or two down.

After thinking about it I decided to see if I could reverse the effect by adapting an underhand cast to finish with a sidearm release.  I did so and noticed that my normal ~50 meter casts would raise significantly and hit around 70-80 meters away.  Thus far it has been hard to release the stone at a low enough angle to hit anything at shorter ranges around 30m, but it is managable at longer ranges (~70+ m).

This is the first time that I have gotten this level of consistency with spin effects so I thought it a good idea to update everyone.  It makes adjusting for range a bit easier (for me) than before since I can make a very large portion of the adjustment just by changing the style of cast while keeping the release angle, power and motion relativly constant.

This is probably more applicable to combat/hunting scenarios rather than targeting since only in the former would a consistent high level of power be required, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

Tschuss

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)