results may vary (Read 1817 times)
dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
results may vary
Aug 4th, 2006 at 8:27pm

I was watching Tints video for the rapid fire method. I put it in slow motion, and found my cure for accuracy. Within two weeks of developing my new style (new to me) my accuracy improved greatly. Gripping the cords with my right hand, I pull the loaded pouch tight with my left hand. Stand feet slightly apart (archers style). Raise the pouch over and behind your head point in direction of target. Now pull the pouch so that it strecthes you right hand behind your neck. Here comes the fun part. In one smooth movement rotate your body at least 90 degrees so you facing target. Release the pouch and throw over hand, follow through with your right leg(optional). This takes only a split second execute there is no wind up and you could hold it at full draw for acouple of minutes prior to firing. I use a slig with stiffer cords for better control. I have ben aiming at a stake in the ground about three feet tall and two inches wide at roughly 40 to 50 yards. I actually hit it twice and 75%(roughly) of the time I'm within a foot radius. Using my old style understand or sidearm I would be lucky for an 8 foot radius. STRETCH OUT FIRST. Results may vary

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: results may vary
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 9:18pm

sounds good but i'm going to need a video of this to really understand it Embarrassed or a series of pictures  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 10:10pm

wow.  40 to 50 yards with that kind of accuracy   Shocked
that's pretty awesome.  if you didn't hit the targer, you would at least scare it into submission, or if you aimed for the broad side of a deer for example you could almost certainly hit it.  that is some great news.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 10:12pm

oh yeah taiki, take a look at the greek overhand style videos, as this is what it sounds like, but without the little twist back and forth first, just a step.  at least that is what it sounds like to me.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 11:45pm

yeah i was thinking that too (its also the best style for me been using it for half a year and i can hit trees pretty consistantly with it Shocked )

Taiki  
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 12:10am

I'll try to get some pics I only have a camera phone. I tend to over explain. Play around with it it workes really good for me. To answer questions about power, I managed to turn a stone to powder, I got a good spark of a burn barrel, and managed to cut  off a small branch from a tree.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2006 at 2:24am

Dork,

From your description I can get two different throws.  Both start from your "ready" stance with your left hand pulling the sling tight, right hand at or a bit behind your head, and the sling cords passing behind your head and maybe a bit above.

The first throw is essentially a Greek side-arm: as you twist to the left, release the stone so that the sling swings horizontally, pull it around with your right arm and release.

The second throw is more like a Greek overhand, or a VERY abbreviated figure-8: as you twist to the left, release the stone so that it drops behind your back, then straighten your right arm and pull the sling over to the release.

Do either of these sound like what you are doing?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 9:15pm

Dale
  Your second description is more close to the throw im using if not right on. Do you use this style or have you tried it ?

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2006 at 9:18pm

I need to make a correction on the distance its closer to 30 or 35 yards. my bad

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 2:07am

Dork,
Yes, I have tried the second throw I described (VERY abbreviated figure-8 ).  I was playing around with the figure-8 some months back, and I came up with a variation that should be OK with the FBTF (add an extra swing to meet their "two full circles" rule), and also played with reduced-windup variations.  Holding the sling up and slightly behind my head, and then dropping the stone behind my back, seemed like the minimum that still had the figure-8 fast release snap.  I did not play with it enough to get accurate, but I could get the stone somewhere out in front of me.  I am not good enough yet to vary a style without ruining my aim.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:33am

Dork,
This morning I tried the first variation I described (Greek sidearm starting behind the head).  Results were interesting: from a standing start, I was reasonably accurate.

Now, if you have watched David Taylor's videos, you know that he starts with a windup very much like a baseball pitcher: twist to the right, bring left leg up, twist back to the left and bring leg down as you release the ball/stone/whatever.  I don't do the full windup like Taylor, but I find that I do have to at least twist to the right before coming back, or I can't come anywhere near where I aimed.

With this style, however, I was fairly near my target without any windup at all.  I just tossed the ball to the left and started twisting to the left as I swung the sling around.

So now I have tried both the variations that I derived from your description, and they both work!  Very nice style(s) you have developed.  Thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)