Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Introductions area (Read 31613 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Introductions area
Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:45pm

Welcome guys. Don't get discouraged, just keep slinging and a technique that you like will eventually stand out. Go back and look at some of the older threads. There must be several dozen on how to make different types of slings with everything from leather and nylon to old garbage bags. Enjoy!! Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

arnellathon
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2006 at 9:22pm

Hi all - add another gal to the team.  I'm Arnellathon, and I live in Arizona.  I've been fascinated by the idea of slinging for most of my life.  I finally decided for my upcoming birthday to get off my tush and pursue this, and discovered this wonderful site only today.  I've been browsing through all of your various postings, but I'm still not sure which one is the best starter sling, or how to judge the size of it.  I'm a pretty tall girl (5'9"), and I don't want to underdo it.  Help / advice, anyone?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 12:52am

Welcome arnellathon,

I would start with a sling that has a folded length of 24 inches or less.  Shorter slings generally give a better feel and control, which is especially improtant to someone just starting.

If you have trouble making a sling, I'd suggest this:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11405229...

I have made many slings following the instructions on the link above and they work great.  

Good luck on your new journey and happy slinging!

Tint

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 3:58am

Greetings, Arnellathon  Cheesy and welcome to the forum!                
         Tint is an experienced slinger and has given you sound advice, which I will second. I am 5'  11 1/2" and I use a sling that is only 14 inches folded. Check out the historical gallery for the ancient Egyptian sling which, if I recall correctly, is only a foot long.                           
         Also, my first sling did not work well, so don't be discouraged if your first sling needs some "adjustment." My second sling has proven to be excellent. I have made a couple more slings for friends and the longest was 17 inches. Check out the members gallery for all kinds of ingenious slings to get some ideas.                                                             
         Tell us, how did you become interested in the sling? Let me recommend to you the movie "Clan of the Cave Bear" as this has some very interesting depictions of slinging in it. In the story, apparently weapons are forbidden to women by the tribe, but Ayla ( the central character ) develops power and independence by learning to sling. ( I have a female friend who is a real Ayla enthusiast and who loved all of the books in the series on which the movie is based. )                     
         Last but not least, let me point out that one of the fun things about Slinging.org is that slingers are from all over. You are in Arizona, I am in Massachusetts, and Tint is in Hong Kong ( on the other side of the planet! ) Although I understand how this technology works, even so, it is amazing! I look forward to reading your posts!!     Grin .......Dan

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2006 at 6:39am

Arnellethon,
Please allow me to "third" the welcome and advice that Tint gave you.  Nylon cord is easy to come by anywhere, and so is medical tape (some have used duct tape instead).

Many of us also braid slings out of nylon twine, or natural fibers such as wool, jute, hemp or cotton.  There are good articles on braiding slings
here
and
here
.  Matter of fact, the entire
Guides and Articles
section of Slinging.org is very good; that section contains some of the best and most informative writing of Slinging.org members.  Other articles there show how to make a sling from cordage and leather;
this one
and
this one
are my favorites.

Slingng techniques are one of the most popular topics of discussion here; there is a good (and improving) summary in the
Slinging.org wiki

Oh ... and some of us are information junkies!  Grin

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

arnellathon
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 12:19pm

Awesome guys, thanks for the info, but help me out (and be kind, remember I'm a beginner!) - what exactly do you mean by a "folded length"?  Do you just fold the sling in half like you would be holding it and measure it like that?  I'm assuming you're giving me a length based on how I'd be holding it.  Thanks for all the help - I'll let you know how it goes! - Arnellathon

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 1:42pm

Welcome to the site arnellathon.  You're right, folded lenth is how long a sling is when held.  Can't  say that is is half the lenth as that will depend on how you hold it.  It's probably better to think in terms of your body than inches or centimeters.  So a short sling would have a pocket around halfway up your upper arm, the standard would be up to around your shoulder and a long one be around the centre of your chest.  You can go longer than this, see Tints video, but I'd recomend short to start and standard and long after you've got the hang of it.  If you make one of the very simple pocket slings which have a string tied to each side you could take spare string and sissors with it on your first time out or use the chain hitch ( sometimes called the monkey knot )  and mess around with lenth.  It is probably better to use a solid rather than a split pocket at first as it is one less thing to think about and they suit a wider range of stone shapes.  When you've worked out what you like make something a bit more elaborate later.   For most people there can be some pretty wild shots in the first few sessions so be aware of the danger of rebounds, young trees can be especially bouncy.  That phase doesn't last long, acuracy takes a while but putting the shot in roughly the right direction is more a knack than a skill and one gets it quickly.  Have fun.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Stringman
Descens

Think meteorites, we are
not alone.

England
Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 2:23pm

Woops I only looked at the last page, I see that lots of new people have joined so I extend my welcome to the rest. The above still applies plus something else.  I guess that Legionare_Atimon will be slinging in company.  I recently got back into slinging and taught a friend of mine, whilst in the wild shot stage we had some pretty close calls.   In the learning stage the misses are often more powerful shots, which can be your body hinting at a better technique if you think about it.  So we had to develop some safty rules.  One, that only one slings at any one time, two that the slinger shouts "slinging" first and doesn't do it untill the other shouts "ready"; meaning I'm aware and behind cover.   This may sound cautious but remember that a slingshot can have similar velocity to a bullet from a hand gun, it's a powerful weapon.

Slings: bestowing the gift of flight on paralyised rocks from the textile age and before. It only takes a moment to help, please give your time generously.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 3:42pm

To say it again, in different words:
we normally measure the sling folded double in the middle of the pouch, so that the start of the strings are at the same point.
You than measure from the fold to the release knot or to the end of the fingerloop, which is about the same point.

How long you want your sling to be depends on your prefered style of slinging and how tall you are.

A good length for beginners is from right hand to heart, you hold the loop on your finger, ready to use, the release cord in your hand, both cords are taut and the pocket reaches about on you heart or left shoulder.

A shorter length is from right hand to right shoulder, and the shortest length, (I think too short for a beginner) is from your hand to the inside of your elbow.

It is easy to shorten a sling a bit by tying knots in the cords, so if you find your sling is a little long you can shorten it. Making a sling longer in the field is a little harder.

I hope this helps,

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 7:55pm

I love my new sling i got from badger, its just my height and it is great, tomorrow i take a bunch of rocks i gathered from the middle school near me to a big open field 8)

Grin SlingWolf Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Chuck
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

SW Louisiana
Reply #25 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 7:51am

Hi:
My name is chuck, I did not know that folks still did this.  I am very happy to have found this site.  I am new to this and will be attempting to learn how to make and sling.
Chuck Grin

Buy the TRUTH and sale it NOT!

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #26 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 3:13pm

hey chuck, good luck with the rock chuck.  huck! huck! (i am sorry for that, it just sortof popped into my head)

great to hear from you, and i wish you lots of good luck with slinging

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CubistPrankster
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #27 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 4:45pm

I was ambling the net, and stumbled in here.  What sublime good fortune!  This place exceeds any expectation I have imagined for such a site. 
Thanks!
Grin

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #28 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 5:32pm

Well, I for one hope that you will prove to be more than a 'Peekaboo Picasso'......

As it seems you surely must harbor something of value to add to the art of the sling.

Welcome to our Noble, albeit humble, enterprise.

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Chuck
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

SW Louisiana
Reply #29 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 8:47am

I must ask.
How do you become a "Godly" member.
chuck Smiley

Buy the TRUTH and sale it NOT!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner)