Send Topic Print
Woven Sling Pouch (Read 8630 times)
nikanoru
Novicius

I love Slinging.org! and
Bawls!

Woven Sling Pouch
Jul 25th, 2006 at 3:05am

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but how exactly do you make a sling like this? http://www.slinging.org/galleryimages/HobbSlingPic2ss.jpg

I love making ther other kind of braided sling, but they just don't hold stones very well.  At least not the different sizes and shapes that i often find.

In any case, I just want a sling design that I can make completely out of yarn.  One with a nice pouch like that.

0=====<>=====o<

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Re: Woven Sling Pouch
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 5:56am

nikanoru,

Try http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Methods_of_making_Slings_%28Modern_...

There is the sling making 101 area in there or the articles area of slinging.org.

Historical recreations for braided slings are also in both locations. The one you have shown looks like a peruvian sling which Amars is working on at the moment on the wiki page I have linked for you.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

nikanoru
Novicius

I love Slinging.org! and
Bawls!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 6:40am

thanks a bunch!

you know, making and using slings has become one of my favorite hobbys...even though i'm still a beginner at both. =)

0=====<>=====o<

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 7:57am

nikanoru,

That's great! If you ever get too many slings lying round let us know I am sure you can trade them for something at the trading post. Or if you're feeling generous you can give them to people who are interested in slinging after you've shown them how to sling.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 1:18pm

on rainy days i pretty much just sit inside and braid or tie slings.  then on sunny days i carry a few spares with me so i can give them away to new slingers.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 4:00pm

The pouch of the puruvian sling
(wasn't that suposed to be Peruvian?)
is what you want.
The braiding of the cords is a little different but you can either use the one in the instructions or use any other kind of braiding you prefer.

Welcome, nice to have more craftspeople here.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 8:43pm

Hey Willeke,

You'd be correct there, my bad.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:03am

With regards to this article:
http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Methods_of_making_Slings_%28Modern_...

I have a couple of questions.  In the pouch design, after you have woven one half of the split pouch, the instructions call for a "new weft."  Where does this come from?  Do you tie another set of half-hitches to get the new weft?

Secondly, there's the instruction: "Then do the opposite with this weft as you did with the first weft to make a symmetrical pouch."  Does this refer only to color, or to actual shape?  And what is to actually be done?

Finally, when changing colors, does the weft strand (blue in the tutorial) actually replace the black warp strand for the duration of the color change, or is the blue strand just ignored?

Thanks for reading my questions.  Smiley  It's a good article, and it's comprehensive to me except for these details.

Thori

IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 12:22pm

To get the new weft you just start weaving it in
Leave enough to pull through the weave with a needle to sucure it.

When I said do the opposite I was talking about the number of bundles. First weave 2 bundles then 4 then two sets of 4 then back to 4 then to 2.

On my pouches I use a different color weft on each side of the pouch. The "black" is actually green. It just looks differnt on the pictures. But the weft is replaced by the new color stand. They switch places.

I hope I cleared this up and I will try to finish the article today.

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 1:00pm

Thanks Amras, that does help.  I understand the article is in progress but I do think it's doing great so far.

IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 1:03pm

I made some modifacations on it. Could you read the parts you asked about and tell me if that is better?
I also added some pictures.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 1:50am

Looks good to me, Amras.  The added details and pictures do help.  I'm excited to buy some materials and get going on one of these.  I know you use polyester yarn, and it looks great, but do you suppose nylon/mason/seine twine would work as well?

IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 10:20am

Thanks,
I am not sure but I think Hobb used seine for his peruvian sling in the members gallery.
And SnapCut used #18 nylon string for his Whirling Hurler(you can see it in one of the articles).
I never tried either but those two people seem to have hade succese.

IP Logged

Thori
Descens

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 11:16am

Cool.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)