Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Origami ammo for indoor practice (Read 2839 times)
Karen
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Origami ammo for indoor practice
Jul 22nd, 2006 at 11:17am

Hi, everybody.  I'm brand new here.  I'm an almost-fifty-year-old woman who was introduced to this site by my 25-year-old son.  Forty years ago I tried slinging for a while, but I was using a bandana for a sling and had absolutely nothing to guide me beyond a Sunday-school lesson on David and Goliath.  My shots went wildly awry in our big backyard, and I gave it up after a few days. 

After reading several articles here, I had no trouble making a braided sling.  I've done finger-weaving for several years, making belts and hair-ribbons.  I made a sling for me and one for my son.   I was lazy and used a simple pigtail braid for the thongs, instead of a round braid.   Later today we plan to go out to our local lake and practice slinging together.  He did some when he was about ten, so he's had some practice.    I told my husband about it while we were on a hike yesterday.  He borrowed my sling, picked up a rock, and slung it far across a mountain meadow while I watched with mouth agape.  I said, "You must be a natural!"  He said, "No, I used to do it when I was a boy."  The things you find out after 28 years of marriage.

I've been practicing with tennis balls in the backyard, but I feel a little self-conscious, (though the neighbors are used to seeing me do tai-chi sword exercises in the backyard and watching my husband play with model trains in the yard. )  I throw like an arthritic old lady, which of course is what I am.

Anyway, the point of this long windup is that I figured out a way to make origami ammo for indoor practice, so I can make a fool of myself in the privacy of my living room.  I fold a sheet of typing paper the same way you'd fold a flag.  I fold the paper in half lenghthwise, then in half lengthwise again.   Then I begin folding the long strip up in a triangular pattern until I reach the end, and tuck the last bit into the pocket.  (There are simple flag-folding instructions here: http://www.crwflags.com/folding.html)

I was trying to figure out a way to make something as round as possible out of origami, but it turns out this shape is good for my braided sling, because if I put the right-angle point of the ammo into the slit in the pouch, it holds perfectly.  I can sling it across the room and it goes "whap!" against the wall, but doesn't damage anything, even my husband's model trains on the shelves there. 

Here's a photo of the sling and ammo:

http://www.geocities.com/ksdrobinson/slingandammo.jpg

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Origami ammo for indoor practice
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 11:28am

Welcome Karen,
Nice to see 2 of my hobbies combined by someone else, I do fold a little too. But I had never thought of folding ammo, and I need something to train indoors.

Also nice to hear that in you we have gained a whole family.
Enjoy slinging, either alone or with the others.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 1:26pm

a warm welcome to our rapidly growing family  Grin

that looks like a Very nice sling too Shocked and the ammo is genius i must confess Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 7:28pm

Welcome Karen,

That's a beautiful looking sling!

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:57pm

Wow! How did you make that pouch? It looks like it must've been hell to make.

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 3:51am

"Origami ammo??"   Shocked Shocked Shocked  WHAP! ( I slap myself upside the head. ) That is just OUTLANDISH. Who'da thunk it?? Just when you think you've seen it all!!                                                                  

Greetings, Karen,                                                                        
         Thank you for a most interesting post! It is interesting that everyone in your family is a slinger, but it is hilariously funny that you have been married for 28 years and did not know that your husband was a slinger also!!   Grin  I am experiencing great amusement at this time.  Cheesy Smiley Shocked 8) Roll Eyes Grin                                                                   
         But let us be serious students of the ancient art of slinging for a moment. I seem to remember that there was a thread a while back on the subject of "indoor ammo" and your origami projectiles sound like just the thing. Hhmmm....... I wonder what would happen if you used much heavier paper or perhaps two sheets together?               
            Cheesy  Ha, ha... LOL  Anyway, welcome to the forum!  .......Dan

By the way, your braided sling is a beautiful piece of work!

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 4:45am

trully nice sling, and interesting ammo. i presume it dosen't go far, right?

and as for the old arthritic lady part, i'm shure we all feel that way sometimes. i know i do Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 5:58am

Welcome Karen,

Thanks for the tip now I can plan my next ambush at work with ammo they won't be expecting.

Excellent.

And as the others have said nice sling.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Karen
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 11:22am

Thanks, everybody, for your warm welcome.  I'm a little sore this morning after going out slinging with my son at the reservoir yesterday afternoon.  We mostly slung tennis balls, because the rocks there are shale and break up easily.  Then we went to a deserted middle school playground and slung tennis balls at the backstop of a baseball diamond, so we wouldn't have to chase them all over creation.  Then we went to the river to find some decent rocks.  We found some, but it was a hundred degrees and sunny, and we decided we'd had enough for one day. 

I put some netting into the pouch of my sling.  You can see the updated photo here:
http://www.geocities.com/ksdrobinson/slingnet0001.jpg

I'll see how I like it; it would be easy to remove if I don't.  For those who want instructions on how to do the flat braiding, this site has instructions on fingerweaving:
http://www.northwestjournal.ca/sash.html

The only difference is that you take the weft string from the same side, not the opposite side, so that there's a gap in the middle.  It's pretty easy.  I made my sling while waiting in the doctor's office while my daughter had a checkup.

Willeke, I looked at your site, and enjoyed it a lot.  You might be interested in the wedding knot my husband and I tied at our wedding.  We retie another one every year on our anniversary.  We decided if we can get through it without arguing we're on our way to another successful year.

http://www.geocities.com/ksdrobinson/weddingknot.jpg

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 1:55pm

Karen,
In my first post I forgot to say how good your sling looked. I liked the lines of it better before the netting was added but I think this allows you to experiment more with different sizes of ammo.

Thank you for your nice words about my site, I spend some time at yours and found that I need a few more hours there. I already made a link to this site for the hooded cloak. (Other topics, Slinging.org Junkie
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=admin;action=display;num=1127... )
And I think that there are more things there that the guys and girls here will find interesting.

Are your books for sale in the main bookshops, and if so, which autors name do we search for?
If not, do you sell them yourself?
My favourite bookshop does not have them in its online cataloge.

I like your idea of tying a knot for your wedding, and you did not pick an easy one. May I quote you on the IGKT forum? And do you have instructons or a line drawing for this knot?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Karen
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 9:24pm

Quote:
Karen,
In my first post I forgot to say how good your sling looked. I liked the lines of it better before the netting was added but I think this allows you to experiment more with different sizes of ammo.

Thank you for your nice words about my site, I spend some time at yours and found that I need a few more hours there. I already made a link to this site for the hooded cloak. (Other topics, Slinging.org Junkie
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=admin;action=display;num=1127... )
And I think that there are more things there that the guys and girls here will find interesting.

Are your books for sale in the main bookshops, and if so, which autors name do we search for?
If not, do you sell them yourself?
My favourite bookshop does not have them in its online cataloge.

I like your idea of tying a knot for your wedding, and you did not pick an easy one. May I quote you on the IGKT forum? And do you have instructons or a line drawing for this knot?

Willeke

Thanks, Willeke.  I'm not sure why I put my books up on my website; they're all unpublished.  I have an agent who is trying to sell them, and she says if I publish them on my site I won't be able to  sell them to a publisher, so I've held off.  But if anyone would like to read one of them in the role of a reviewer, I could e-mail it.   There are a few stories on my site, though, including one complete biographical novel.

I've just uploaded instructions to the wedding knot:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/zelime/weddingknot.html

My husband made those instructions back in 1978.  We got the knot from a margin decoration in a songbook.  I can't remember the name of the book or even the song (it may have been "Amazing Grace"), so I don't know if someone has copyright on the design or not.  We figured out how to tie it and used it in our wedding.  WE joined the black and white strands together with a silver clasp, and then tied the knot with the two strands, as in the drawn design.   My sister tied a similar knot using the same design in her wedding too.  My husband said he would be honored if anyone else wanted to use it.  I may add these instructions to my website sometime, along with the words we said at our wedding about it.   We taked about he two strands being side-by-side, each taking turns curving about the other and protecting it, about the heart shapes that meet in the middle, and so on.  He wore the black cord around his waist prior to our tying the knot, and I wore the white one.  You are welcome to share this with anyone you think might be interested.

I'm still thinking about whether I'll keep the netting in my sling.  I have to do some more practice and see what I think.  But first I have to wait for my sore arm muscles to heal up.   Tongue

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 11:19am

Hi Karen and Welcome. Don't worry about that old arthritic lady stuff. There are many on this site who have seen more summers than you. You make a great looking sling and it sounds like you and your whole family enjoy slinging. I think that's great. Enjoy our Forum and read everything. There's alot of great stuff here. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 2:24pm

that is a great sling.  i also like your idea for ammo, i would have never thought to use that for slinging.  in school, we make those and use them for table top football during free periods (and some not so free periods  Roll Eyes )

that is a great idea to use it for ammo.  i will have to do that while visiting my grandma in florida, because she lives in condominium and there is nowhere for me to sling safe

i wish you many strong slings and true glans, or as it is paper footballs  Grin

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 4:21pm

Karen,
I quoted the text about the wedding knot on the knottyers forum. If you want to see what I have done, and keep track of the replies, here is a link: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=433.0

I will start reading the book that is on your site, but am certainly interested in being a reviewer later.

Willeke

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)