Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wow (Read 1855 times)
ColoradoCaveman
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Wow
Jul 22nd, 2006 at 4:36am

Hi, I'm new!  Yeah, that's a hard one to figure out, right?  LOL!

I used to be into using the sling when I was a kid, and you guys have me baffled.  All these fancy designs, and they do essentially the same thing- huck a projectile a bit further than you can throw them. 

When I was a kid, I used a leather patch with a leather cord.  No sewing, just tie a tight knot.  I could lob a gold ball sized rock accurately about 120 meters.  I did a marvelous job of tossing golf balls from our back yard a few houses down and knocking out a window or two.  I would have gotten away with it if my grandpa didn't catch me!  Yeah, yeah.  Dumb things kids do.  Funny how we think it's dumb now, but boy we were the smartest people on Earth back then! Grin

Last time I did much of anything was when I was 17 and used shoe laces and a cut up tater sack.  Wasn't the greatest, but it did well.  I found a good way to hunt ducks or pheasants is to take a hand full of 1" gravel and use it like a shotgun load.  Works good if you're within 10-20 meters.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Wow
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 5:04am

Welcome ColoradoCaveman,
It seems that you should have walked around with a notice 'dangerous' painted above your eyes.
I hope you rediscover the joy of slinging.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 3:25am

ColoradoCaveman, greetings!                                                   
         It is just human nature: someone is always trying to come up with a " better mousetrap." If dirt-simple works for you ( and, based on your bird hunting experience, it DOES  Cheesy ) all well and good!    
         If you go to the historical gallery here on Slinging.org you will see the picture taken from the Bayeaux Tapestry of a slinger hunting birds almost one thousand years ago. Surprising how such a simple device has had such an IMPACT ( sorry about the pun  Wink ) on history.
         Welcome to the forum and tell us more about your experiences!                                                             .......Dan          

Uh.......come to think of it.......I managed to break a couple of windows when I was a kid.   
            Shocked                                                                                      ( But maybe I shouldn't talk about that.  Lips Sealed )

IP Logged

ColoradoCaveman
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 8:04pm

Thanks Dan & Willke!  I'm going to, eventually, get around to getting a sling put together and get pics put here.  Nothing fancy, but like you said, if it works!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:37am

try the zorrro sling with the tape pouch  Grin works Great for me  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

ColoradoCaveman
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 8:32am

Quote:
try the zorrro sling with the tape pouch  Grin works Great for me  Grin

??

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:36am

Taiki  
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:53am

Thankyou Taiki,

That link is now on the wiki.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 10:01am

LOL np Cheesy its a good sling most of mine are just 2 knots with tape over them and it works well Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

ColoradoCaveman
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 10:19am

I saved the zorro sling page and will attack that later.  Looks good!  Does it work good?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 11:07am

Welcome Colorado, yes the tape sling works great. It is the one I carry with me everywhere.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 4:35pm

Welcome Colorado Caveman!
Yep, the tape sling is great! Of course, I've made all mine out of duct tape! Wink
The only concern I have with them is that I would prefer something a little more durable, like leather. But, for those of you,(like me) who can't get their hands on leather, these slings are perfectly suitable. 8)

southpaw

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)