Send Topic Print
Spin! (Read 11968 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Spin!
Reply #30 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 9:13pm

TechStuf,

No criticism of the design intended; the weight is just something to get used to.  Most of my slings are under 30 grams, this one has a fair amount of metal in it.

I did some no-release swings last night, with a golf ball and with a rock in the pouch.  It felt nice; very secure in my hand.  On the other hand, I still think I need to reshape the hook a bit, to get a quicker release when I intend to.

Here is a picture of my copy of your sling.  I had to use a bit of tape to keep the pouch from springing open, the leather is still rather stiff.

I made the release hook out of 12-gauge bailing wire, which is probably mild steel.  Certainly not as strong as what you are using, and it will probably bend eventually.  But it can easily be replaced.  The cords are my home-made static kernmantle cord (hollow-braid nylon mason's line with seven strands of 50-pound SpiderWire fishing line run up the middle).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #31 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 9:54pm

those are nice looking slings, the ones that techstuff sort of pioneered with the hook (i am aware also of the nail version, but i don't know which one came first), but i prefer to stick to the basics, because otherwise i sort of feel like i am doing what they did to the bow with modern archery.

that cord is a good idea, and i think i will make some of my own kernmantle cord, but i will use upholstery thread instead (i have no spiderwire  Cry ).  it will provide some extra strength, but it won't be like the ultra thin para cord that you have there.  i would be willing to bet that that cord would have no problem supporting most para troopers anyways, without the extra couple of hundred pounds of support

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #32 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 2:40am

The "nail version" was designed by Jurek, he drew a
picture of it
and I made one.  So did Hondero, his comments were later in that topic.  I think this was the first such no-foul design.

TechStuf also designed a
no-foul sling
, where the stone (or ball bearing) slips between two of the four pouch cords.  It is the 7th and 8th pictures in that post.  I made a sling with that kind of pocket, it works very well for golf balls.

My primary reason for making that cord out of mason's line and fishing line, is that the fishing line has practically NO stretch.  The difference between that and nylon is very perceptible.  But the fishing line does not handle very well by itself, and braiding it!  My braided slings have around four or five crossovers per inch, this stuff is like 15!  Braiding it takes FOREVER!  This way I get the nylon to protect the polyethylene, and I don't have to braid anything.

SpiderWire is just one of the high-density polyethylene fishing lines.  Tuff Line is another brand.  Spectra is a trade name for the fiber itself, a number of brands advertise themselves as using Spectra.  All these are rather expensive, so wait for somebody to hold a sale.  Or look for a sporting goods store that sells it in bulk; I got the 100-pound Spectra line for 15 cents a yard.  I bought 30 yards (US$4.50) and still have not used it all.

Another synthetic fiber that has little stretch is Dacron (which is actually polyester).  1/8-inch Dacron utility cord is only a few cents more expensive than nylon utility cord, and stretches very little. I have several slings using that for the cords.

Your upholstery thread sounds very good also.  Anything that can hold furniture together for years, has a lot of strength.

As for fancy versus simple, I like both.  I have some fancy rigs like the one I just built, just to see how they work.  This one, when I get it tuned right, feels like one that I will continue to use.  But I also have a basic leather-and-paracord sling that I can stuff in my pocket or roll up in a little ball, and it goes with me everywhere.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #33 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 10:57am

Dale, that is one decent approximation of my design!  I've used many variations of no foul pocket releases since the eighties....and adapted the dart release hook pictured in the members gallery for use with my shot pockets when I was in my early twenties.  I am now 39.

But I think Yurek would agree with me that which came first is of little importance.....especially compared to the hope that none of our creations comes last!

Your sling should impress all who see it.....and given the challenge our sport faces, whatever reasonable accoutrements that may be implemented to attract our modern minded prospective associates, the better.

And besides, a smooth consistent release at every cast, and high durability are good things.

Again, great work!

And many happy returns!

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris)