Send Topic Print
My Slings! (Read 3475 times)
Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
My Slings!
Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:16pm

I recently made another sling for a friend which would be my second sling. Its launch is not as hard but it is more accurate.
My first sling, the one I currently use, is, well, childish at best. Its short, stiff and not as accurate but its launch can be relatively hard.
I decided it was time to finally post a picture of my first sling whom I affectionately named "Tundra".

When I get photos of the other sling I will put them up.
Im currently working on two new ones as well, including a staff sling.

Edit:
This is my second sling, just got the pictures!

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Re: My First Sling
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:39pm

Those are cool Bjarn. Tahnk you for posting the pics

Loki

IP Logged

Vargblod
Novicius

Urrg!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:49pm

*is the proud owner of Thule, the second sling!* Cheesy

It works so well.

And hello to everyone by the way!

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:50pm

Thanks and it was probably about time. Been here for a while now and had the sling before I joined!

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: My Slings!
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 8:16pm

those are nice slings bjarn.  what about that giant sling that was in your grasp in that pic that you posted a link to a while back?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:13am

Bjarn!                                                                            
         Very nice work!  The details are interesting: I note that you appear to have a long tab of leather as the release node. The pics are nice but it is not entirely clear if this is a flat strip of leather or rolled into a sort of tube? Although my sling is made entirely out of rope and I use a knot as the release node, I also left a sort of "tail" about three inches long beyond the knot. I find that rocks of different sizes fit the pouch differently and I can adjust my grip above or below the knot to compensate. I assume the strings are paracord or similar ( synthetic? )
Could you tell us how long these slings are?                                      
         I look forward to seeing your new slings, especially the staff sling as this is also on my to-do list.     Cheesy                  .......Dan
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2006 at 2:04am by Slinger_Man_Dan »  

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:33am

Quote:
*is the proud owner of Thule, the second sling!* Cheesy

It works so well.

And hello to everyone by the way!

Greetings, Vargblod! Welcome to the forum.                                                                     
         I would surmise that since you are the proud owner of Thule, the second sling, then you must hail from Bjarn's neck of the woods.
It is good of Bjarn to "spread the art." Since you signed up, I take it that the forum has amused you? ( as it has amused me! ) But I believe you will also learn a great deal ( as have I! )                        
         I look forward to reading your posts.            .......Dan

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 12:18pm

Siguy, that "giant" sling is the same sling as the first photos. My dear Tundra. haha.
It's a rolled tube of leather bound to the end of the release.
I just added that a couple days ago when I made Vargblod's sling.

My sling is roughly 70 inches. I am not sure how long Vargblod's is, I never measured it.
I always thought my sling was small....hehe, but Siguy says he's giant! Shocked

I work my sling much the same was Dan, though I didn't plan out how Tundra would work, I didn't know what I was doing and my sling was born of impatience for some sort of weapon, then he became my love and he goes everywhere with me. I knew nothing about what a sling was when I made mine.
More knowledge was put to use when making Vargblod's sling since I'd spent so much time seeing everyone's slings here on this forum and reading about it.

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 7:58pm

Very nice sling, Bjarn! I like the rolled leather release tab idea. It's very original, very innovative. It's good to see that other slingers here name their slings, as well. Lets me know I'm not the only one that does it. Nicely done, Bjarn! and congrats to Vargblod for joining us!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2006 at 2:57pm

I did something "very original and very innovative"?
Wow, thanks!
I just thought I would do it because it would help make the pouch stronger and hold the rock in better!

WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2006 at 4:21pm

Hallo alle!

I took a long leave of absense from the internet due to my eagle project. But now i'm back. Just out of curiosity, how does that second design perform? I noticed that yours seems to cup the munition, as aposed to the regular single hole punched leather. i use the regular and perfer it over all of my woven slings, but i think i'll try that sort of pouch. by the by, what kind of leather did you use.

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

Vargblod
Novicius

Urrg!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 8:53pm

She is in Newfoundland on a trip so I'll answer since it's my sling now anyways, she made it out of Deerskin, and I think it performs well, I seem to be more accurate with it than I was with hers, but it's hard to tell. I'm far from an expert since I haven't tried any slings besides those two Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)