Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Call to arms (Read 3725 times)
Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Call to arms
Jul 16th, 2006 at 11:55pm

Guys, there's a treasure trove of potential slingers out there!  Certainly more than I had anticipated, at least locally.  I spent the last 3 days at a local outdoor festival testing the waters a bit, and the interest was nothing short of inspirational!  

I cut out an 8 foot plywood Goliath which ended up being the star of the show.  So many people stopped to pose with 'big G' for pictures that if I would have charged a buck a pic, I'd have cleaned up....and if Johnny had done the painting, who knows!?

As it was, my inability to accurately render the human eye garnered more than one inquiry as to why I had made him wearing sunglasses.  I asked my daughter Kaley, who did most of the painting, to put a sign around Goliath's neck that read:

"These custom made slings really blow my mind."  She looked disgusted and said....."That's too long, I'm writing Slinging Rocks!"

We were quite busy and my son, Caleb, and I spent all our time either making custom slings or showing people how to use them.....and this during the three hottest consecutive days of the year thus far.  We had a blast and highly recommend the activity for any and all who would like to help further advance the legitimacy of our sport in the public eye.  I was quite pleasantly surprised at the wide variety of genuinely interested individuals....it seems the lowly sling strikes a deep and common cord in nearly everyone who sees it.  Almost peculiar, really.

Everyone who bought one of my custom slings lived in or near a rural area and although nearly half were sold to adults....the rest were for their mouth watering kids.  If I would have sold to every kid who wanted one, I'd have completely run out of them.  One 18yr. old was so excited, he ran around evangelizing about our booth to every boy he saw.  I got a kick out of the multitude of reactions to the sling.  

Guys, if we truly want an ISF, it's ours for the taking.  These shows aren't hard to do and I suspect they could be instrumental in greatly increasing momentum for such an undertaking.  Use my designs or make your own....The market is there and the variety of technological  enhancements, I feel, definitely serve to arouse a level of interest that can tip the scales in our favor.  I know one thing,  If I'd sold only two pieces of cord attached to a pocket....I'd have spent my weekend baking in 104 degree temperatures people watching, instead of educating dozens of potential ISF members.  

Here's a few pics of our weekend:

Take a chance guys....get out there and get noticed....I'm sure you'll be glad you did.  I had two older gentlemen pick up the figure 8 overhand on the first try by simply showing them to keep their hand still and upright while throwing the pocket downward and slightly outward and to throw forward into the cast as it came down behind the back.  They picked it up quicker than I did!

I'm bushed.  

Later,

TS
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2006 at 5:32pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Call to arms
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:13am

that's really great ts.  i can't believe you did so well, and there is so much interest.  nice goliath by the way  Grin

that just makes me feel great inside, that you had so much success there.  looks like you had alot of fun as well.

for the next show, might i suggest handing out copies of a packet that i put together from this site?
i copied and pasted all of the articles from this site about throwing styles into a word document (crediting thier authors or course  Wink ) and then at the end i wrote a warning/disclaimer and also that there was alot more information as well as videos and pics to be had a slinging.org.
i carry a few of these around with me whenever i think i might be introducing the sling to a new person or ten  Grin
because it is good to be able to give them guides to more styles than i can show them in the ten or fifteen minutes that i might have to show them.

great job though. 

btw, can you think of a cheap decent sling that i can give away to beginers for free?  i was thinking some sort of thin flexible plastic for the pouch with cheap braided nylon cord tied on.
i don't know, though, so i will keep thinking

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:25am

Well, there certainly wasn't much interest in my basic, traditional model....I think the advancements are what really tipped the scale for them to decide that slinging was worth giving the old college try.

Yes, I was unprepared for the response and wished I had more information to hand out.  I will be better prepared next outing.

The old saying, "Life imitates art" is true.....and apparently, the more our slings imitate art, the more people want to try the art of slinging.

I am finding that people really want form to go with the function.  I really do think it's the way to go if one can pull it off.  It seems to benefit all involved.

But of course, every bit of effort helps the cause and each in our own way, will end up being able to say that we took part in the resurrection of slinging from ancient to modern sports tradition.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:32am

Looks alot like what I do at Grey Company for my Metal Weapons Re-enactment stuff. We also put on displays.

Good to see you got some interest. (Does this mean you'll be starting a club up in your area?)

I'd like to say I had the time and interest in getting others to sling but I  don't think I am good enough to teach some one and really I'm not the most charismatic person under the sun.  But to keep us posted.

Siguy,

You have pampelet?

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:51am

nightweave, when i think pamphlet i think of those glossy little tri-fold papers that they hand out in travel agencies.  i do not print these.  i print out a four page packet on regular 8.5 by 11 inch paper and staple it all together with a cover page. 

ts, you say they go for the newer age and more high tech stuff ?   Grin  interesting.  perhaps it is because of the modern world we live in, and the dependency we have on thinks like computers and compound bows.(random i know)

well, it is good to hear that there is so much interest

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 1:00am

it just occured to me; perhaps you should sell your slings and grips on your website, so that people will be able to obtain them worldwide.

perhaps you could even sell the parts so that if something was worn out a person could buy a replacement part of fix up the sling themselves.

also, i forgot to ask before; what kinds of slings did you have with you?  from the pics i could see that you had the hardwood grip handle slings and your giant spool of dacron line (or perhaps some other line, i don't know). 
were you offering simple slings as well, such as the basic one that chris is fond of, or perhaps another basic design. 

i would like to be able to make braided slings on a larger scale, because i am personally quite fond of the stability and balance that they offer, but it seems that this is not possible.  i have a thought though.  if a factory can make nice braided nylon rope, why can it not braid slings?  perhaps another option for your slings, no? 

i do like the style of your slings though.  they are very modern and sleek looking.  streamlined in a way.

terribly sorry for rambling on.  i really nead to get to bed.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 2:21am

Way to go Techstuf!

Wish I were there! 8)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 2:59am

Wow! Very impressive. You've done well TS. Wish I could have been there. What was the occasion?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 5:10am

i plan to do something similar, but on a smaller scale - because it has to be implemented in the program of my Order (of the silver dragon).

it's great to see that it worked for you.

it could be a good idea to rent slings (with ping pong balls, tennis balls or other non lethal ammo) - 5 shots 50 cents, or the like. (with a provided target, of course)

(acctually i had an idea /and most of ppl that know me well freeze or start running st that word: idea, because my ideas go bum! and wush!  Grin/ of an archery range - like shooting ranges on carnivals, but here the target is a watermellon, at a distance of 6-10 meters.
stone ammo, of course - so you get the prize when you open it. i think it would work great in summer months  Tongue )

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 1:10pm

Nightweave, I don't know if we'll get a local club going....I'll have to wait and see how it goes.  I did receive enough interest from a local Boy Scout administrator that I'm sure we'll soon be visiting to instruct a few troops.

Siguy,  I plan to have the website up and running soon.  I'm getting a 'crash' course in web building.....I had planned to hire a web designer for the site I had envisioned, but the price proved a bit formidable for the design I wanted, so I am in the process of designing it myself.  

I had 3 separate designs with me at the show.  The basic traditional model was simply two dacron cords, leather pommel for the retention cord, knotted release node, swivels and pocket.

The Pro-Grip model was the same as basic only with custom hard wood grip in Ebony, Rose wood, or Cocobolo and a leather release tab.

The Pro-Grip mechanical was the same as Pro-Grip only with mechanical release added.

BK, we were attending our area's yearly John C. Fremont days festival.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 2:48pm

Nice! How many slings did you make all together?

That makes me want to do something like that too! You're a great inspriation for all of us others!

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 3:09pm

My son ended up assembling more than I did....I spent a good share of the time demonstrating techniques.

Gard, have at it.....Once people get a view of how the sling really works, it opens a few eyes......We also had a demo DVD running constantly which showed much more than we were able to demonstrate on site.

The following is a copy of an indemnity agreement which was signed by all purchasers or their parents.  I would recommend a similar document for anyone wishing to sell to the public.

The sling is but one in a long line of sporting implements that can be dangerous if used incorrectly.  Like several other sports tools, Baseball bats and golf clubs to name a few, it is designed to be swung in order to cause an object to fly for an an appreciable distance.  And just as Baseball and Golf require an appreciable  degree of skill in order to reach enjoyable levels of accuracy, so too, the sling requires no less an amount of practice in order to become proficient.  Golf and Baseball are played in highly regulated environments for good reason.  With these facts in mind, it is imperative to also operate the sling in a safe and suitable environment.

I, _________________________

(Signature of purchaser or parent/guardian)

(Printed Name)

Assume all responsibility, including legal and financial liability for all use of the 'Sling' and agree to use it only when the following conditions are met:

1.)  As it is the nature of this item to receive wear during it's operation, I will inspect it thoroughly before each use and will not use it if and when it begins to show wear on critical components including....split rings, leather pocket, sling cords, handle and all metal components.

2.) It has been determined before each use that I am not within 500yrds. of people, animals, or damagable property including but not limited to, cars, buildings and glass.

3.) Any people, animals and their property that accompany me during each use are at a safe distance, behind suitable protective shelter from possible  accidents.

Today's date: _______/_______/___________

Regards,

TS
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2006 at 4:00pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 3:14pm

a demo dvd?  is it footage of yourself slinging or did you find others to sling for the footage? 

that's interesting.  is there a possibility of you making it available for trade in the trade section, or possibly uploading it in three or four minute segments for us to watch on the site?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 3:17pm

Or can you give a link to where you sell the DVD if it is online.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 3:18pm

yes that too.

thanks willike

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)