Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling Diary (Read 929 times)
Loki
Ex Member

Sling Diary
Jul 16th, 2006 at 8:25pm

Does anyone ever keep a diary to keep track of thier training progress? Just something to keep a record of the different types of slings they have tried or different ammo etc. etc. If so please scan and post on the forum, some times we can learn from others successes or mistakes.

Loki

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Sling Diary
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 8:33pm

i haven't kept a slinging diary, but perhaps i will start soon.
that is a good idea though

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:17pm

I am taking a journey diary for my travels to Newfoundland and that will be including my sling progress, how I can make it fair on the different, more open terrain. Grin

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 8:18pm

i started my sling journal today.  it is only a couple of pages deep (with really small pages) so far, but perhaps it will grow to be many pages.  i will try to keep it updated frequently.

in it i have and plan to include:
my preference for style of slings at the time i am writing
any new slings that i make
my power/accuracy records
anything else i can think of

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Wrenn
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Adelaide, Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 10:05am

When I first started getting back into slinging I decided to keep track of results as I worked purely on short range accuracy. My setup was a short (26 inch folded) yurek tennis ball style tape pouch sling, figure 8 cast, tennis ball ammo, 50cm x 50cm square target sitting at ground level, 12 metre distance.

Each practice day I would shoot several sets of 30 tennis balls at the target and track the number of hits.

For the first three months I kept records and you can see them in the crude excel output below:

http://www.coinmanipulation.com/misc/Sling/SlingAccuracy.htm

The main thing I found from the results was that it didnt take me that long to get a decent level of accuracy as I already had good familiarity with the sling, and experience in other throwing related sports. My original goal was to get to consistent 75% accuracy which I was getting close to after 20 practice sessions. But its fairly clear that going beyond that will require a much larger amount of practice. I guessed that to get to 85/90% would probably take another 40 practice sessions (or more).

Keeping track of the results definately helped me keep focus on the goal and keep my training methods consistent. It also let me see that I was getting solid improvements each time and notice certain trends such as the first 1-2 sets usually being bad as I warmed up (I later did 15 or so warmup throws with increasing power and some stretching before starting properly) and the last few sets generally getting worse as I got tired/sore. You can also see periods where I had 1-2 weeks off and that was enough to drop my accuracy levels noticably.

Since then I took a few months off on holidays and daylight savings/winter kicked in so I've mainly been doing distance stuff and chucking rocks in the bush instead of serious accuracy practice.

I thought about using the same approach with distance throwing but I havent found a decent location where I can do that properly and I have only been mucking around so far, trying to construct the perfect cricket ball sling Wink Plus its harder to keep track of the distance of lots of throws, takes more time, or you have to guess a lot more so it might not be very useful.

When I get time to get back into it I'll get back to the 75% level then experiment with a smaller target, as well a larger distance (20m) to the same target.

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:41am

Ok slinging diary.

Well I now have a Frapper Account (thanks to me putting my map location in) and I have started doing a slinging blog under my user name nightweave.

It's not so much a diary as what progress I am making with my slinging projects... Ok and cause I am an egotistical male.

If you want check it out, I am going to put my picutures up there that I get for slinging. Two there now from my last exploit.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15)