Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Slings in the Olympics (Read 22835 times)
Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Re: Slings in the Olympics
Reply #60 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 5:04pm

To don1:
Couldn't agree more.  This is NOT going to be a single phase effort and will NOT happen over anything less than several years' time.  Great suggestion about starting at the local level... that's part of why I've tried to teach and train every chance I get.  I do need to be more pro-active about getting local activities or events organized and going.  We live in a small community where a slinging contest might make the front page of our twice-a-week local paper... free advertising!!!!!!! 
Thanks for the input.  As an "old fart" I say we are all still very young yet... especially in slinging.  I have a clear vision of where we can, and I believe should, go.  The path from here to there is very, very, fuzzy yet however.
Thanks again for a great suggestion.  We can pontificate forever on our website but if it never translates into outerworld activity then what's the point...???  hope any of us who have any proficiency at all in slinging will commit to the path you have.

GeorgeN

George N

IP Logged

wolf-hound
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #61 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 5:12pm

Once I get started, I plan on taking my sling to the local SCA events.  They already have archery, and some people use atlatls occasionally.  I think if they saw some really proficent slingers, they'd take up an interest as well.  It only takes a few people to compete in a small contest to attract a lot more attention. 
Wolfy

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #62 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 10:57am

Wolf, which Barony you in? I am from the Rhydderich Hael in AEthemearc. We also have other SCAdians here!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #63 - May 14th, 2007 at 3:57pm

Yep Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried here.
Kingdom of Ansteorra here
Currnetly of the Barony of Namron. About to move to the Barony of Northkeep.

Marc Adkins

slingbadger wrote on Apr 10th, 2007 at 10:57am:
Wolf, which Barony you in? I am from the Rhydderich Hael in AEthemearc. We also have other SCAdians here!

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #64 - May 14th, 2007 at 6:32pm

Actually, I did a little research on the coins. They all ( there are thousands of them) come from an area in Turkey called Aspendos. All are solid silver, about 25mm. They are in various stages of wear. Sometimes the slinger is in a full tunic, sometimes he's naked. A few I've seen, he's barely there. They were made in the 4th cent. B.C..
  If you want to acquire one, be ready to shell out between 2-3 thousand dollars.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #65 - May 14th, 2007 at 10:17pm

Thats why they call them Aspendos! You have to ransom your A-- to spendos kind of dollars for a silver coin.LOL Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)