Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Slings in the Olympics (Read 22933 times)
Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Re: Slings in the Olympics
Reply #15 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 11:07am

Slightly OT, but I just saw the first Olympics event in Olympia in a long, long time. They wanted to have a discus throw there, but modern athletes throw too far. Apparently ancient discus throwers wouldn't even qualify! So they brought the shotput to Olympia as first event, which is kind of funny, since that wasn't an original Olympic event, it's from Scotland. Wink

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #16 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 11:10am

Vincente posted a great link to the FTBF web pages, where you can look at past results and records. Make sure to choose the Catalan (red and yellow striped field flag) pages rather than Engilish as the english pages are still incomplete.

http://www.tirdefona.com

Some pages with scores are under "resultats-classificacions" Looking at the men's (homes) results for CAMPIONAT DE MALLORCA 2003, we see that the average looks like about 5 points on ten throws (5 from each distance) taking into account that many of the slingers may not have competed in every event. I imagine that his means ~3-4 hits. The best scorer averaged more than 11 points, and the best individual score was 18 points.

The total available points are 30 (for men) hitting all iron, and 15 scoring only board hits. Scoring 18 is pretty impressive, and hitting 4 of 10 is no mean feat either!

I'd personally like to see more throws. 10 is ok when spread over 15 meets, but wouldn't be enough for a national championship or the olympics. Maybe Vincente can fill in the pieces here?

As for the archery check this page:

http://archeryweb.com/archery/olympics.htm

On thier way to a gold medal, and archer will shoot 168 arrows over 7 rounds. After a ranking round where each person takes 72 shots, competetion is single elimination head to head matches based on your rank out of the first round (which is thus pretty important). The rings are scored simple 1 to 10 - archery having the advantage that the projectiles "stick" to the target... (I know, I know... lead sticks nicely to concrete walls when slung at high speeds Wink)

How did I do Vincente? Close?

Matthias
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2004 at 2:36pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Judge referee of the FBTF

Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Is
Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 6:09am

Well, the first of all, maybe I would recommend them that if you visits http://www.tirdefona.com they make it by means of the link in Spanish language (the flag of the center) because this way if they have necessity to use a translator it will be they easier to find a translator of Spanish to English that of Catalan to English. 

The pages in English language is quite abandoned because we need that somebody translates everything to the English language, and this somebody it doesn't exist. 

As for the records, Matthias has exposed it very well, me alone he could add that they notice the established record of children for example in 23 points of 30 possible, and even more spectacular in the short distance, all the categories have established the record in 9 points of 10 possible, mark very difficult of overcoming. 

In the section "Resultados > Actas Tiradas" you can see what has happened in each event. 

The next event is on Saturday August 21, if I can, I will try to make some pictures and I will publish them for you.

Greetins,
Vicente

Quote:
Vincente posted a great link to the FTBF web pages, where you can look at past results and records. Make sure to choose the Catalan (red and yellow striped field flag) pages rather than Engilish as the english pages are still incomplete.

http://www.tirdefona.com

Some pages with scores are under "resultats-classificacions" Looking at the men's (homes) results for CAMPIONAT DE MALLORCA 2003, we see that the average looks like about 5 points on ten throws (5 from each distance) taking into account that many of the slingers may not have competed in every event. I imagine that his means ~3-4 hits. The best scorer averaged more than 11 points, and the best individual score was 18 points.

The total available points are 30 (for men) hitting all iron, and 15 scoring only board hits. Scoring 18 is pretty impressive, and hitting 4 of 10 is no mean feat either!

I'd personally like to see more throws. 10 is ok when spread over 15 meets, but wouldn't be enough for a national championship or the olympics. Maybe Vincente can fill in the pieces here?

As for the archery check this page:

http://archeryweb.com/archery/olympics.htm

On thier way to a gold medal, and archer will shoot 168 arrows over 7 rounds. After a ranking round where each person takes 72 shots, competetion is single elimination head to head matches based on your rank out of the first round (which is thus pretty important). The rings are scored simple 1 to 10 - archery having the advantage that the projectiles "stick" to the target... (I know, I know... lead sticks nicely to concrete walls when slung at high speeds Wink)

How did I do Vincente? Close?

Matthias

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #18 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 6:34am

Thanks in advance for some pictures of your competitions Vicente! 

Where do they all get the stones that are used? Are they all different sizes? Do they each go to a big pile of stones and pick/ choose the ones they want to sling?

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Reply #19 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 10:47am

The slingers catch their stones in the torrents or in the beaches, it is curious, but when they finish throwing all the slingers in each distance they run to pick up all those that have not broken to be able to use them again. There are also slingers that use normal stones, caught of the garden.

The sizes are diverse and to pleasure of each slinger, I will make pictures and you will be able to see the stones

David, no, they don't go a big pile of stones, each slinger brings its stones and he also has them very jealous.

Greetins,
Vicente

Quote:
Thanks in advance for some pictures of your competitions Vicente! 

Where do they all get the stones that are used? Are they all different sizes? Do they each go to a big pile of stones and pick/ choose the ones they want to sling?

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #20 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 7:09pm

Pictures of the stones would be very nice. Do you have restrictions on the weight of the stones or rules of how small or large they must be?

Also Vicente, what is the "5 cm" mark on the bottom of the target drawing?

IP Logged

Vicente
Descens

Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2004 at 2:42pm

David,

No, there are not restrictions on the weight of the stones, not any rule

5 cm mark indicates the width of the paw / foot of the target. you know

Greetings,
Vicente

Quote:
Pictures of the stones would be very nice. Do you have restrictions on the weight of the stones or rules of how small or large they must be?

Also Vicente, what is the "5 cm" mark on the bottom of the target drawing?

Greetings,&&Vicente

IP Logged

Texassoroban
Novicius

Reply #22 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 11:08pm

wow maybe I should have posted my olympic comments here instead.  As I sit here thinking on it where do the fans stand? I mean with Archery and rifle if you stand behind the shooter your chances of getting hit approach 0.  But with a sling the point of release is anywhere within a circle around the slinger.  Seems like you'd need some sort of netting or something to catch stray stones.  Maybe like what they use at golf courses only more robust.

IP Logged

SPOOKYSHOGUN
Tiro

Stones want to fly so
let them. Sling proudly!

California
Reply #23 - Aug 29th, 2004 at 12:24pm

Slings in the Olympics! That would be a dream come true. If it ever happens, I'm trying out. I wonder how many hopefuls there would be? It seems we are a niche community but there could be many more out there that don't post. I for instance read this Forum often, but don't really post. Maybe there are a lot of closet slingers in the world.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Aug 29th, 2004 at 1:16pm

I think that if the sling was in the Olympics, then Spain, the USA, Poland (because of Yurek, naturally), Peru, Ecuador and other would win consistently.  I think also that the sling could have a net like that for the hammerthrow, as with that, the point of release is virtually anywhere in 360 degrees.  The net would of course have to be finer.  Slingstone size would naturally regulate the size of the net loops.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #25 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 4:05pm

Old topic, worth reading.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #26 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 9:03pm

thanks willike.  very interesting stuff there, perhaps even more so because of talk of the ISF in the other area.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #27 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 9:37pm

Thanks Willike for bringing this forward.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2006 at 4:05pm

Vicente,

you wrote that the FBTF is looking for somebody to translate into English. Unfortunately that's not what I'm best at. But I translated the FBTF rules into German several months ago. If that is of interest for you I would be glad to send it to you.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #29 - Dec 26th, 2006 at 7:54pm

It Definately seems that way and reminds me of a quote outta Brave New World. I don't have that particular manuscript in front of me but from what i remember. the games practiced in that anti-utopian novel required lots and lots of expensive gear, while the stuff that was simple to do was either banned or discouraged. It was an attempt in the novel to drive consumerism....

Ok enough cerebrics Smiley Just something I vaguely remembered while going through threads

Marc Adkins

friebejr wrote on Aug 15th, 2004 at 3:43am:
These coins are really great, Chris... nice primary sources. Really, really cool.
I think that slinging is no more included in the Olympic Games for many reasons: it is no more practised by a lot of people; our sport sounds a bit "rustic" for those who don't practise it; and we can't forget that it needs  big places to be practised... I would feel mcu happy if we could help to increase this sport among poor people, who don't have money to buy expensive equipments to play some other sports...  I have been researching traditional sports and games for almost 10 years, and one thing that I can't understand is why so many nice games,from around the world, which required a few and inexpensive equipment, were substituted by other ones which need so much money to be practised... ??? ??? ???
I have nothing against these more expensive sports, but it sound sme a great mistery why some traditional ones- many of them are virtually extinct - have been replaced by them...

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)