Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 137974 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #300 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 10:18am

and david cut his head off - just to make sure Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kindor
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

western oregon
Reply #301 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:46am

There are many pictures of the valley of elah, where this battle took place, just do a search on yahoo. It is my belief that Goliath having a helmet of any kind, is not a valid argument for him to not be hit in the forehead, As he likely would have pushed his helmet up to see better, not taking David as a serious threat, and as for Goliath falling face down after being hit with a slingstone, as an army medic I can tell you that a bullit will not knock a forward moving soldier on his back, how much less a stone, smaller than an egg, would knock backward someone of goliaths stature.  His head would have rocked back, but not his body, it would have fallen forward. I believe it happened exsactly like it is described in the KJV Bible. He was done for, even before David lopped his head off with his own sword.  By the way, in " the complete works of Josephus" a famous historian, there is also an account of this story. That agrees with the Bible

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #302 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 6:33am

Many "True Christians" here in America believe that the KJV is the one true Bible. According to them, it was written by Jesus himself, in English.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #303 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 6:46am

Wait... KJV stands for King James Version right? Do they... not know when King James ruled?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #304 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 6:29am

NO. They are very ignorant of history. It doesn't fit their view of the world.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #305 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 9:13am

LOL, what I meant was that they added a few more cubits to Goliath's height.

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

Slingky
Tiro

Everett, WA
Reply #306 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:42pm

Here's an interesting and somewhat measured article that reflects on 3 extra-biblical discoveries related to King David: https://theophilogue.com/2009/04/24/extrabiblical-evidence-for-king-david/

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #307 - Jan 18th, 2020 at 2:46pm

Here’s a question for all you Bible scholars: After David acquired fame and fortune for killing Goliath, did he continue to use a sling in battle?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #308 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 9:13am

at that point I guess they'd form a slinger unit, plus didn't he become king shortly after ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #309 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 8:49am

I see one mention of elite soldiers who could shoot arrows and sling stones with either hand, but nothing about how David fought after the account of his battle with Goliath. There was quite a bit of time before David became king. The king’s son gifted him a bow and armor, so I am curious if the sling was still a go-to weapon or not after he had nicer things. Slinging might be pretty difficult depending on the armor. I was hoping someone here might know more about that.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #310 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 3:24am

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jan 20th, 2020 at 8:49am:
Slinging might be pretty difficult depending on the armor. I was hoping someone here might know more about that.

While I don't have any personal experience, I'd say that slinging with armour on is plausible so long as it doesn't impede your hip or arm movements.

I've seen a Manuscript marginalia from the Medieval period  which depicts a Knight in a hauberk and a heater shield using a sling.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #311 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 4:44am

Well that's the thing, what do we mean by armour (or armor...)? Chainmail? Easy to sling in I would say. Full plate? Maybe not impossible but I think fig 8 might be a struggle. Even then, plate armour has varied a hell of a lot.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #312 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 5:00pm

In the book of Judges, the Philistines had cornered the regional market on blacksmithing, so the armor was probably patterned in the same style as Goliath’s.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #313 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 7:43pm

According to the story. the armor was bronze scale mail. It doesn't mention if the armor was just chest or if it covered the arms. There were also bronze open faced helmets, and bronze greaves.. David did not wear any armor. He tried on King Saul's armor and it was too big for him.
  David was lighter and more maneuverable. Goliath never stood a chance.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #314 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 12:18am

slingbadger wrote on Jan 21st, 2020 at 7:43pm:
According to the story. the armor was bronze scale mail. It doesn't mention if the armor was just chest or if it covered the arms. There were also bronze open faced helmets, and bronze greaves.. David did not wear any armor. He tried on King Saul's armor and it was too big for him.
  David was lighter and more maneuverable. Goliath never stood a chance.

Shortly after that, Jonathan gifted his personal armor and bow to David. That’s what I am referring to. Not the armor he refuses before fighting Goliath.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)