Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 22
Send Topic Print
Is it real? David and Goliath (Read 137967 times)
LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Is it real? David and Goliath
Jul 14th, 2006 at 7:41am

Is that story a real event? ???

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Re: Is it real? David and Goliath
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:21am

loh_kah_hoe,

Well now that depends on several things.
Are you christian?
Do you believe the bible is a factual account?
And your relgious out look.

Now being rasied a christian, but now not so much a believer any more. I can say honestly I don't know but it is a great story.

Weather it is true or not, all I can say is all myths and ledgens haves some true too them.

Beyond that I don't have a time machine so I can not confirm.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:27am

Well,,, Goliath would have been about 9 feet tall. That is not beyond the realm of possibility.
  Personally, I think its more along the idea of a cautionary tale. It also shows what the simple man ( or kid,David's are really isn't mentioned) can do against a better armed adversary.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 12:39pm

In German TV was some days ago a documentation about David. I have not seen all, but they analyzed also the slinging event and assume that there is some historical content in it. They also analyzed slinging and measured speeds of up to "90 kph" if I did not mishear, which is embarrasing slow.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 8:56pm

I'm not Christian and I'd have never heard of David and Goliath if I didn't search for slings. ???

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 9:04pm

really? that's interesting.
btw, also try searching under slingshot, as alot of people don't know the difference

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 8:11pm

It was fairly common in that era for opposing armies to select their best warriors to fight in order to avoid greater bloodshed.   

As to the veracity of the biblical account.....here is but one source of interesting information:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A9914268

And as we already know, the power and accuracy potential of the sling is more than enough to have accomplished the alleged task.

I found the following DVD fairly intriguing:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1286661

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 9:01pm

I remember! Grin I was searching for slingshots, then I stumbled across this website. Cheesy Then a 'new' weapon was introduced to me! 8)

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 9:37pm

something like how i found this site, but i think i was searching for sling because i had remembered it from long ago

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 10:39pm

There are a wealth of, as yet unknown, 'primitive' implements which make creative use of one's biomechanical potential.  I daresay enough to fill several dimensions alternate to our own.  I sometimes wonder why we don't see more of them in the Sci Fi genre.

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:58am

TS,

I don't know either but thanks for the Tip. (I'm SF writer)

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 11:42am

I have been studying ancient religions for years and they have not found any proof what so ever that David even existed, much less the bones of Goliath. And I was raised christian (though it should be called neo-christian) though I am not now, I heard the story as a child. Though I should say at this point that I do not think of the Bible as a historical text, but instead it is a book of stories meant to teach ppl morals and ethics.

Loki

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 2:41pm

If you'll read the information at the link above, you'll find that mention of the "House of David" is a matter of archaeological record.  Such writing carries dynastic indices which, when coupled with other finds, shows conclusively that such an account as David & Goliath was well within the realm of possibility.  

When we look at the facts we already know.....we can readily ascertain that such account or one of high similarity was not only possible, but probable as well, given the variety of battles settled by single combat.

We know what the sling can do, and to find record that someone actually did it is, to me.....no indication of embellishment.

Smiley

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 3:42pm

At no point did I say that the event was not possible, all I said was that no proof of said events has EVER been found, thats all. In no way am I discounting the idea that some of the events in the Bible did not happen. Not even The Knights Templar found any proof that David or even his son Solomon existed, much less their kingdoms. That being said, if thier kingdoms did not exist how much else is fabricated?

Loki

IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 3:47pm

I almost forgot to say something. The Bible was written by men, just like all holy text, and the bottom line is that men are inherently flawed and fallible.

Loki

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 22
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)