Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finishing a round braided sling (Read 1165 times)
Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Finishing a round braided sling
Jul 13th, 2006 at 10:29am

I am almost finished with my Puruvian or andean sling(don't know what to call it). How should i finish it off so it stays together. I am tapering the release cord from 16 strand core to 8 strands with an 8 strand round braid. This will be my first sling of this kind so i don't know how to finish it.
Thanks

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Finishing a round braided sling
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 12:39pm

You can tie about any knot in the ends, but the nicest results you get when you use on of the crown knots.
I would use this one:
http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/tables/crown_knot-8-3_table.html

If you think that is not string enough you can try a diamond knot.
http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/tables/diamant-8_table.html

There are more knots you can use. If you find the knots with 8 strands confusing, take the ends 2 at a time and tie the crown knot of 4 ends.
You can find it, and a few more on this page: http://knopen.ismijnhobby.nl/tables/used_knots_table.html

Yes, I just made an add for my own website, but I do not get money for it, it just cost me so I hope you do not mind.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 3:07pm

When I tie the knot do I cut the 8 strand core off and then tie the knot with the 8 strands I used to braid with?
Or do I use all the strands to tie the knot?

I like you site. It is very helpful.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 3:21pm

Thanks, I try to keep it in such a way that people understand what I am talking about.

If you want a knot as small as posible so there is no blob at the end of the braid, you use as few strings in your knot as you can get away with. That is 8 in your case, and before you tie that knot you can cut away your core, or you can tie the knot around the core and use that as a tassle.

On the other hand, if you want a knot you can use as release knot you tie with all the strings and use a diamond or a crown knot and follow with a wall knot and an other crown knot.
Or make a starknot or something else big.

You can use the strings as a tassle or you can cut the ends near the knot, but use in that case a diamond or a starknot.

I hope this helps.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 7:45pm

If I tapper it down to 8 strands and make a tassle on the end will it crack. I would rather not have it crack? It is fun to hear the crack but if I ever deside to take it hunting the crack would spook the game before the rock gets to the target.
I better get off this coputer and get to work. I only have 14 more inches of round braid.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2006 at 3:45am

If you leave the ends you knot after you finished you can hear if the crack is there, if you later want to use the sling for hunting you can still cut the strings short.
If you leave the ends long for a few days the string will settle into the know nicely and will not come undone when you cut the ends, which may happen if you cut them too short soon after tying.

Willeke

IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 10:13pm

I am not familiar with tassles on slings. So do you hold the tassle at the end of the releas cord kind of like a knot or is it purly for decorstin ???

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 11:25am

the tassle hangs out of your hand behind the release node.  mostly for decoration, but they can be used to adjust for different sized ammo

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)