Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Use of the Sling as a Warlike Weapon (1847) (Read 2536 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
The Use of the Sling as a Warlike Weapon (1847)
Apr 29th, 2004 at 11:22pm

Finally got my hands a great little article on the sling from 1847.  I was lucky enough to get a photocopy of it despite the NY Historical Society's decrepit copy.  I must say, this rivals Korfmann's Scientific American article in terms of great info. 

It will be posted in the articles section in the upcoming week, but here are some factoids for you to consider:

• Greek projectiles were not just football shaped, but tapered slightly more on one end (more like a droplet).  This has serious aerodynamic implications as many of us know who've been involved in that discussion. 

• "Stones or bullets could be projected from a sling to greater distance than either arrows from a bow, or javelins with the aid of a thong. "

• Slingers used on boats to provide cover for troop landings (Romans)

• Slings sometimes had 3 or more cords for heavier payloads, including one  pound projectiles.  (Previously debated.  I salute Mike G. for first bringing this to my attention)

• Ceramic projectiles slung when still red hot.

Chris

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: The Use of the Sling as a Warlike Weapon (1847
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 1:01am

Interesting find!   So many uses for the sling!   One of the myriad weapons we became proficient with when I was on active duty was the M-203 grenade launcher.  I can attest to the effectiveness of the sling in this area.  I have experimented in the past with finned mortar rounds weighing just over a pound launched from a sling.   I can just imagine a beach littered with smoldering sling ammo....what a melee!  I doubt we can expect to see the sling make an appearance in the upcoming movie:  'Troy'... Sad   I for one, would love to see a movie that realistically showcases the sling!   Can you just imagine if 'greek fire' was used in the sling?  Imagine raining a hail of the stuff on the enemy and igniting it with fire arrows!   I really enjoyed the scenes in the movie 'Timeline' depicting the incendiary bombardment of La Roque castle at the village of Castlegard.   Methinks someone got paid good to live out a fantasy!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 2:26am

Interesting to have new information on sling, I´m looking forward to read it, and interesting those topics you advance, especially that of the three or more tongues, that is new for me. I knew the others though about the droplet shape of Greek glandes I thnk it is not a common design... it´ll be interesting to read the article carefully.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 6:40am

Chris
Is this a book or some kind of magazine article? You've got me "chomping at the bit" to read this article! Does it have any illustrations in it?
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - May 1st, 2004 at 5:23pm

Chris
When will this article be ready to read?
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2004 at 7:50pm

I'm really tied up until wednesday, but I plan on updating the site quite a bit after that.  If you've got any articles to send me, please send em' now so I can do all the work at once.

Chris

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2004 at 1:06pm

Chris
I'm going to hold my breath until I see that article!!
Thanks
Johnny(who is now taking a deeeeep breath!)

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - May 5th, 2004 at 10:29pm

I'll hopefully have time to scan it tomorrow.  I hope to have it up by this weekend. 

Patience grasshopper,
Chris

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #8 - May 6th, 2004 at 12:51pm

Geez Johnny... I haven't seen anyone turn that shade of blue and still have a pulse.  Wink

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2004 at 8:37pm

Chris
My lungs are about to explode!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - May 12th, 2004 at 12:45am

I know I know.  Sorry Johnny.  I knew you'd be asking again any day now.  Even using OCR on my scanner, it's hard work converting it to text.  Here is a little sampler for you; The first page:

THE  USE  OF  THE  SLING,
AS A WARLIKE WEAPON,
AMONG THE ANCIENTS.
COMMUNICATED TO THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES
BY WALTER HAWKINS, ESQ., F.S.A.,
IN A LETTER ADDRESSED TO
SIR HENRY ELL1S, K.H., F.R.S., &c., SECRETARY,
LONDON: PRINTED BY .1. B. NICHOLS AND SON, 25, PARLIAMENT-STREET. 1847.

OBSERVATIONS
HE USE OF THE SLING, &c.
36, Finsbury Circus, 23rd November, 1846.

MY DEAR SIR HENRY,
   As I believe that the collection of the Society of Antiquaries of London does not include a specimen of the Leaden-pellet or Sling-bullet of the Greeks, I do myself the honour to forward you one; of which, together with the accompanying drawing, I beg the Society s acceptance.                                       
   This specimen was found lodged in the Cyclopian walls of Samé in Cephalonia.
   The determination of its date must depend on the degree of probability which may be attached to the supposition that it was deposited there by one of the Achaean slingers from Aegium, Patrae, and Dyme, of whom there were one hundred in the army with which the Roman consul, M. Fulvius, reduced that place, after a siege of four months, B.C. 189. (Livy, xxxviii. 29.)                        
   It will be observed that in shape it very nearly resembles an almond. It appears to exhibit on one side the characters ?AIN? or ?AINE, commencing at the smaller or taper end, and extending to the larger, where they are slightly defaced in consequence of the forcible compression of the pellet from impact.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)