Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
vikingsling
Jul 8th, 2006 at 12:59pm

Reading in the old posts I found this topic with nearly all links and photos dead. I hope that someone is willing to search for replacements, would be great.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10768576...

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Re: vikingsling
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:01pm

Well, some of this topic I believe was covered in the Project Goliath thread but people stopped posting. Cry Cry Cry Cry

The Cynewulf links are still dead in google, though I believe I posted on in the other thread I mentioned.

This one still works though:
http://www.geocities.com/baldurstrand/slings.html

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:53pm

Well, I didn't find the link, but DTB had
this
picture of the vikingsling. He posted it in the topic "Viking slings/slingers" which is found in the Project Goliath section.
Dunno if it helps, but that's what I could find... Undecided

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:06pm

that helps alot gard, because the whole time i was sitting here wondering what this sling looks like, but i could not find anything.

in the other topic it says that the slits are going in the wrong direction to really be effective, but i dissagree with this.  i think that they are maybe there so that the pouch would form around the ammo while still being able to open well.  it is sortof like the sting sling with mutiple strands in the pocket.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 3:32pm

Quote:
that helps alot gard, because the whole time i was sitting here wondering what this sling looks like, but i could not find anything.

in the other topic it says that the slits are going in the wrong direction to really be effective, but i dissagree with this.  i think that they are maybe there so that the pouch would form around the ammo while still being able to open well.  it is sortof like the sting sling with mutiple strands in the pocket.

yeah I remember someone describing this sling pouch but they didnt have a photo of it. Now I know what they mean.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 9:50am

I did not make the sling in the photo, but i made a sling like it. It is a little wide for my likeing, but the slits do let the pouch fold up on the ammo better. I was useing real light weight leather too bad the slits weakend the leather and made them into holes for smaller rocks to fall through Tongue

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 10:19am

The actual sling pouch is something like 10 cm long. The slits run horizontally, and are in groups of 5. Somewhere I have a picture of the slings from the site, with all the lengths, etc. There is no cords on them, just the pouch, which was at first thought to be either a shoe tongue, or a chatelaine. They were found in a shoemaker's shop.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Morphy)