Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible New Sling Style? (Read 1468 times)
Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Possible New Sling Style?
Jul 5th, 2006 at 11:40pm

I was wondering, the way I shoot my sling is it Apache, Figure 8 or something totally different?
     The way I start is my arm is bent upwards behind me as if I'm trying to scratch the spot between my shoulder blades, just below C7, kind of like the mid section of a Figure 8. Then, I swing my arm up and forward completing the throw.
     So, since this doesn't have a wind up is this considered an Apache type throw?

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Re: Possible New Sling Style?
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:52am

Hey Tumakas,

I'd call it a variant of the over-arm cast. New yes but a variant. The same as the Apache is a variant of the over-arm cast.

We'll just have to call it the Tumakas casting style.

Then I can say to people, "Can you do the Tumakas?" I like it.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 8:41am

you should try that with a longer sling tumakas so you can grab the pouch behind your back holding it taunt Wink thats how i have been doing something simular Cheesy

never the less its variation that makes us better Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 9:36am

Actually, "Tumakas" means to escape but I won't mind having a throw named after me... Grin

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 9:56am

This is what I understand Apache to be.

Perhaps more like the "Tumakas Variant of the Apache cast", but since we all do Apache slightly differently anyhow, that's pretty unnecessary.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:00pm

Tumakas,
Your style is definitely not the figure-8.  Check out Weaver's or Nwmanitou's videos and you will see the difference.  The part of the figure-8 that is behind your back, is part of the windup; you don't use any windup swings.

Are you facing your target directly, or are you standing at an angle to it?  Your description sounds rather like MagnumSlinger's "bowing centerline" style.  In that style, you stand facing the target, with your sling hand behind your neck (like you were rubbing the back of your neck) so that the sling hangs down directly behind your backbone.  Then raise and straighten your arm so that your hand passes directly over your head.  As your arm becomes straight, bow sharply from the waist toward your target as your sling arm continues to swing forward.  The combination of your arm swinging and your upper body bending, puts quite a bit of power into the stone.  The bowing centerline style is not good for distance, but it is quite powerful and accurate at short ranges.  I think MagnumSlinger designed the style for self-defense at close quarters.  You would only get one shot, but the shot would take out one assailant, and his cohorts would have to revise their opinion that their victim was unarmed.  Good psychology.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:01pm

Actually, I'm looking over my left shoulder as if I was doing a Figure 8 exactly, just without the wind ups. As for the Bowing Centerline I just might have to try that, I like anything with a lot of power.

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 8:50pm

hmmmm Tactical slinging....

I'd be in on that. Could just imagine that in a movie.

"Hands up you stinking slinger."
As you reach for your emergency fully loaded back sling.

Works from me, just like those never ending bullet clips.

Oh and then you do Tumakas at them and your safe.

All sorted.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy)