Rising Shots (Read 1760 times)
MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Rising Shots
Jul 5th, 2006 at 7:57pm

I was wondering if anyone here had any tips on technique or form that could help me with a bit of an unusual problem. It seems that when I aim at close range targets, particularly those of less than 8 feet in height or less than 30 feet away, my helicopter shots exibit a tendency to exit the sling pouch in sort of a rising parabola which makes me almost unfailingly overshoot my target every time. Needless to say, this is very infuriating, and even what I think should/would be a very level shot at the base of a tree hits high up on the trunk, as much as 15 feet upwards, from only 10 yards away. The other day, I was aiming at a 6-6 1/2 foot tall target set 15 yards away, and I was overshooting the top by a good two feet or so, even though I was aiming downwards. Anyone else have this problem or maybe know why I do?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Re: Rising Shots
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 8:24pm

I have a similar problem.  I do not really do a helicopter, it is more like Jurek's two-windup sidearm or Sv's one-windup sidearm.  The windup swing(s) is/are not horizontal, but at an angle that implies a very drunken 'copter pilot.  But anyway, the snap is done at shoulder level, and if I do the windup wrong, my sling is too high or too low when I start the release snap, and so the sling is falling or rising at release.

Since the problem occurs when aiming at close targets, watch yourself, especially your windup swings, when aiming close.  I am betting your windup is "looser" or slower, and so the sling is lower as you start your release snap, resulting in a rising sling at release.

The first paragraph above my own experience.  The second paragraph above is semi-educated guesswork.  Let me know if I need to replace "semi" with "un" in the previous sentence...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 9:33pm

i use a multi swing windup with sidearm release at a little above waist height to about mid chest height.  i do not have the problem of my ammo burying in the ground in front of me.  i do not put any power into the windup though, and just do that to get the stone moving, and when i am short on time i just do a sort of short whip up and around to release, again, just to get the stone moving.  perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on the windup, and need to focus more on the release. 
if you put a lot of power into the windup, then you can be thrown off by the swing and release at a bad time.  again, i only use a windup to get the stone moving because my slings are longer and have a delay when i try to sling without windup.  with my shorter slings, i don't usually bother windup, or it is very limited, because i don't need it to get the sling moving.

here's the short version for those of you who are too lazy to read the whole thing above:
maybe the problem is windup.  try to focus less on the windup and more on the release.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:41am

Your brain will get used to a target height/distance if you have been using that much. Then, if you suddently have a different target, your brain will send same signals as when using the regular target.
Throw a couple of stones with same technique as you're using, just without a sling. This makes your brain understand it's not the old target.
Hope this helps! Wink

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:55am

If Gard's idea doesn't work you can always train your brain to think that I use this slinging style for long range and another for short range. I'd suggest the apache for it's accruacy or maybe the Greek over-arm shot.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 1:16pm

Thanks to everyone for their help and input. I was doing some dry run shots on my break at work the other day without a rock or a sling, and I was looking at how I snap my wrist when I shoot and I realised that I do have a tendency to angle my shots slightly upwards which most likely accounts for the rising parabola of the rock and my overshooting. I was thinking that instead of releasing the rock above my head, maybe if I sidearm it from about high chest level, this might work. Don't know why I didn't think of that before, but thanks again to everyone. I'll let you know how this works out.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 1:58pm

Well, if you do fix the problem try to remember exactly how you got an ascending parabola. Personally, I think it would be cool to have someone try to block a projectile screaming towards their chest only to have it rise at the last second and nail his face... but that's just me.

P.s. Teach me, please? Wink

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:34pm

i use the trick that nightweave suggested.  i use my sidearm thing for distance and extreme power.  i use something like the apache style for close ranges and accurate shots.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 10:14pm

Quote:
    Well, if you do fix the problem try to remember exactly how you got an ascending parabola. Personally, I think it would be cool to have someone try to block a projectile screaming towards their chest only to have it rise at the last second and nail his face... but that's just me.

P.s. Teach me, please? Wink

When I sling, my wrist tends to snap forward and slightly upward which I guess sends the shot out of the sling spinning upwards as the sling continues downward and I suppose the shot rolls out of the sling which produces a lifting spin. Combine this with the fact that my whole upper arm looks to angle about 30 degrees from true vertical which makes the shots go upwards. But that's just my hypothesis on all this. Maybe I just have really bad form. I know that in my most powerful shots, I put so much of my weight into the shot that my body ends up nearly parallel with the ground. It does however, help to be that low when you need to hunker down in tall grass after an errant shot. And the need has arisen before, yes.

palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)