Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
make a crossbow????? (Read 2398 times)
TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

make a crossbow?????
Jul 4th, 2006 at 10:09pm

hey, wuts up. I saw a thread about makin crossbows on here, but cant figur out how to make 1. ??? I googled and searched till my head hurt, and i still cant find a streight foward how to. Angry  Id love it if u guys could help. Grin

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Re: make a crossbow?????
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 9:26am

first learn how to make a bow. Thats the hardest part. Then you shave the stock down to the shape you need it. Just invent something for the trigger its not hard.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 1:21pm

good news is I can already make a bow. Grin  thanks, it seeme simple, but can anyone tell me hoh to atatch the bow to the stock or am i on my own there? and this is an awsom sight!  8)

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 4:13pm

that's the trouble I have too. I would make a gap in the stock large enough for the bow. But don't nail the bow into the stock  Smiley. I've done this, not good.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 4:17pm

I do remember we have had this question before, search and you might find the answer.

(Remember to set Max Age since last post: .. to a high number.)

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 5:32am

The medieval way is easiest: use a long strip of wet leather, tie the bow to the stock and let it dry - the leather will shrink and grip the bow strongly. Otherwise, obtain a copy of Hoffman's Making crossbows and other weapons - everything you need to know is there.

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 10:42am

I have used a mortar/tenon joint for attaching the crossbow to the stock. Just whittle out a little pin in the "handle" of the stock that projects out about 1/2" or so, and then drill a corresponding hole into the stock. Use a little epoxy.

Then what you do is just lash the prod onto the stock.

Drill a 1" hole into the stock, and then loop some cord around the bow and through the hole about twenty times. Then you can tie up the skein and it will be very tight. If you use wet cotton it will shrink neglibly.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 12:04pm

I cut a notch in the front of the stock big enough for the bow. I then drill a hole behind that notch, and lash the bow in there.

The fun part about this type of hobbie is there is no set rule. If you have an idea try it! I think that if you can make it with the correct tools, and materials of whatever time then it is historicly correct. You got to know that there where people who did not follow the same rules for makeing things as every one else. Also isolated peoples would have to just make things up.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris)