Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Short sling (Read 1489 times)
drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Short sling
Jul 4th, 2006 at 10:06am

Has anyone tried making a short sling, maybe cords about a ft, a ft and a half long. I believe it would transfer more of the energy into the projected article, meaning a fast, harder hitting shot. Would it work?

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Short sling
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 10:21am

my shortest sling is about from the palm of my hand to my elbow 'roughly 30cm) it doens't really shoot far but i'm pretty accurate with it Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 12:03pm

Quote:
Has anyone tried making a short sling, maybe cords about a ft, a ft and a half long. I believe it would transfer more of the energy into the projected article, meaning a fast, harder hitting shot. Would it work?

my short sling is from my hand hanging down to about an inch above the ground. Any longer than this and the stone tends to catch or drop out while slinging apache style.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 1:49pm

i once made a very short sling with cords about a foot long.  it worked well, but i prefer my longer slings.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 3:51pm

When I first started out slinging in '91 i had a sling with no finger loop, just knots on the end of the cords. It was about 15 inches, it served me well, but all my slings are 21 inches now. 21 inches works well for my accuracy and range. It is most likely just what I am used to

Loki

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 10:39pm

Longer sling=more leverage=more power=more distance&greater killing capacity=less accuracy

Read some of the articles, and many of the posts to get more of an idea (I think the Apache article touches on this)

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 11:15am

I use 3 different slings, 2 of which are 39" (99 cm) from the centre of the pouch to the end of the knot, and the short one, is a 29" (74 cm) sling that tends to work pretty well for accuracy. I made one sling, before I knew how they were measured, that was literally 24" from tip to tip instead of from centre to tip. I could definitely whip projectiles out of it, and reasonably accurate, too, considering I had just started slinging but I felt that it didn't offer enough distance and benefits to be functional for someone my size, so I trashed it.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

SilverFoxKnows
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

SoCal
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 4:19pm

The first one I made turned out pretty short, about a foot from finger loop to pocket. I think what really hurts it is the pocket is too small. The second braided sling I did is still fairly short, about 18" from loop to pocket, but has a bigger pocket and is pretty fun. 2"-3" long football shaped rocks land pretty close to target out to about 30'. I think the sling is capable of more than I am at this point. I've thrown 'em farther than 30" but not on target.

Frank

SilverFoxKnows@yahoo.com

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 5:09pm

I dont have more than 30 yards, little more, little less maybe, and I dont have much power/range, so a short sling with accuracy might do good.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)