Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Novel with Slinging.. (Read 871 times)
Kristal
Descens

Iowa
Another Novel with Slinging..
Jul 2nd, 2006 at 4:29pm

Recently I read a set of books by an author named Karen Hancock  http://www.kmhancock.com/

Anyhow, she has 3 books so far in her the Legends of the Guardian-King series. In her second and third book the main character does a bit of slinging.

She is a Christian Fantasy Writer.

Anyhow...I will try and get over the fact that I am not being as original as I thought I was going to be...sniff, sniff....here I thought I would be soooo unique and write with a slinger in it.  Ohh well.   At least her character does have special powers.  Grin

--Kristal

Kristal Shaff, Fantasy Author

My Website
WWW authorkristalshaff  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Another Novel with Slinging..
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 4:32pm

To take you a bit farther down, but it is good reading, in the series Joust, Alta, Sanctuary Mercedes Lackey has the hero sling.

But again, he is just using his normal human powers.
You make us feel special  Embarrassed

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 5:25pm

Kristal,                                                                         
         There, there, don't cry, honey.  Cry  Have you ever read "The Clan of the Cave Bear?" Actually, I've never gotten around to reading the book, but I did see the movie version at the suggestion of a female friend who is just nuts about the whole series! The main character, Ayla, is her heroine. There is a very interesting treatment of the sling in this novel. Ayla gains power and independence when she learns how to sling ( not to mention finding it easier to obtain LUNCH. ) This is a big deal as apparently the use of weapons is forbidden to women ( taboo ) in the tribe of Neanderthals who adopt Ayla when they find her as a child.                                                
         We know ( that is WE SLINGERS! know ) that the sling is a significant piece of ancient technology which dates back before recorded history and was ( and is ) widespread throughout the world.
It is puzzling and rather annoying that it has been largely ignored in both literature and film. By exploring the sling in your novel you are doing us all a service, especially for people who may have never heard of the sling but will learn about it when they read your work.         
         Also, you are to be  warmly commended for signing up with Slinging.org to learn about the sling so as to ensure technical accuracy in your work. I have seen and read stuff where it was obvious that the author(s) did not care about technical accuracy and let me tell you it is very annoying. Kudos to you for your diligence!                         
         Now, you've found " a star to steer her by," so be of stout heart and good cheer and hold course steady!                                  

So, do you feel a bit better now?    Cheesy                    .......Dan

IP Logged

Maeglin_Dubh
Ex Member

Apprentice Craftsman

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 10:45pm

I haven't read the last book of the Guardian King series, but I like the first two. Very rarely do I find slinging in literature. Sitting in the Sick Bay at camp this morning I started reading 1 Samuel, including the part where David killed Goliath. Haven't read that bit of the Old Testament in a while....

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 10:58pm

i once picked up a book that didn't look very interesting when i was bored.  in the first chapter this young girl was telling someone that she could handle the bow over her shoulder, and use a sling as well.  i stormed through that book that night and went to bed very unhappy that there was not another single reference to the sling for the rest of the book.  this was so thoroughly frusterating and you had better believe that everyone in my house knew.

but anyways, i think that it will be very nice to have  another book that talks about slinging.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris)