Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sprang (Read 1991 times)
english
Ex Member

Sprang
Jul 23rd, 2004 at 5:27am

I just found some "sprang" instructions on the 'net, I was thinking of making a pouch from a piece of home made sprang cloth.  It might be a bit stretchy, though.  I'll give it a go, and let you all know how it turns out.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Sprang
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 6:07am

Never heard of "Sprang" other than a form of Spring---Spring, sprang, sprung Grin

What is it?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 9:33am

Sounds cool English!

Sprang is a "primitive" fabric construction that looks a bit like a cross between knitting and weaving. The work is actually "braided" but on a frame while the warp is under tension. You know when you are braiding and the free ends want to braid themselves if you don't keep untangling them? That is Sprang. True sprang is always symmetric, and has a "finishing ridge" where the two sides meet when you run out of string.

It was used mostly by the Vikings in uses that we would now use a knit (see my post about knit slings - knitting is a modern invention) You can do some nice openwork patterns, so making a sling pocket from only the body cords should be possible if desired. I wouldn't worry about the stretch - it wil mostly be across the pocket, and since you'll probably need some kind of "frame" or edge anyway, it will only help make the shape a little nicer.

Maybe try Naalbinding as well? I look forward to your report(s)! (and pictures)

Matthias
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2004 at 7:41pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 5:36pm

Naalbinding looks a little more complicated.  And I am still in the learning stage with sprang.  I guess I'll need a really small loom... should be ok.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)