Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
how long do you like youre sling? (Read 7517 times)
ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Re: how long do you like youre sling?
Reply #30 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 2:26pm

Tint,

Do you have any video of you using the 19" sling? Can you get good power out of something that short?  Do you have a good video showing a 19" sling being used to good effect?  I seem to remember that your more powerful and natural looking throws were with a sling that looked much bigger than 19".

Tint wrote on Jul 4th, 2006 at 2:52am:
My favourite is 19"

The longest one I have is 5'6", very powerful but not much feel.

IP Logged

ArizonaSlinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #31 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 2:53pm

I'm 6' 3" and I have long arms.  I think my arm span is about 6'6".
My three slings have the following lenghths.
37"
42"
48"

I use the Jurek pocket design made with leather from Wal-Mart. All my slings have a leather "knot" and the cords are store-bought braided nylon. They are a little thicker than parachute line.

The 37" was built for throwing lead. It has a small pocket 1.5" X 3.5" I hardly ever use it because I'm not into throwing my money away.

The 42" I use for everthing except for tennis and baseballs. The pocket is 2" X 4".

The 48" is unique.  It has two layers of leather in the pocket and is  3" X 6".  I can "fan" out the two layers and make the pocket deaper and wider.  I use this for throwing big stuff like baseballs and tennis balls.

I use a style that might be termed the figure 8.  It is the same style that is shown in the sling video that cracked like a whip. My slings don't have the mass distribution for cracking, but I bet I'm shooting rocks at over 60 m/s. Perhaps 100 m/s on occasion. I like ammo that weighs an ounce or two.  I am not that accurate.  I can probably hit a refrigerator about 3/10 times at 100 feet. The other 7 times I'd be scaring the refrigerator real bad. Smiley

I really want to learn the pirouette style.  There is an account in the Book of Mormon where a lone defender slays 6 attackers with a sling. Since I've become familiar with the pirouette style, I've imagined in my mind that the pirouette style was used in this instance.  I believe that this style is best for throwing large ammo (3-10 ounces). Just my opinion.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #32 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 7:52pm

now for a real answer My prefered length is 43 inchs make a nice length for overhand for me

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #33 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:20pm

I did have footages of me using a 19 inch sling in my rapid fire videos from 2005.  but the old link doesn't seem to work anymore....... Embarrassed

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #34 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:25pm

here is a link to my newer videos:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1156823087/0#0

The shortest sling in this one is about 30 inches long.  there is also another link to the older videos on the thread.  I don't know if we can make the link work again Tongue

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #35 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 11:31pm

Found it!  Here:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1115875122/0

mind you I am just a little guy Cry  19 inches looks longer on me than on most people.....

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #36 - Dec 22nd, 2006 at 6:13am

I make all my slings the length of my slinging arm, from the tip of my thumb to my armpit. Between 20 to 22 inches.

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #37 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 8:19am

What is the minimal sling length?? What is the shortest length I can use? I'm 163cm tall(approximately) Huh

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #38 - Jan 26th, 2007 at 12:46pm

ArizonaSlinger wrote on Dec 15th, 2006 at 2:26pm:
Tint,
Can you get good power out of something that short?

Short slings work very well with the 3/4 turn underhand/sidearm throw that I showed in the whip-sling video. This is the way I threw growing up, using slings as short as 14". I can still develop almost the same amount of power witha  ~19" as I do with longer slings and a fig-8.

Short slings are *fast* though. I can't make them work with throwing motions that are longer, or involve larger movements - the sling just gets away from you. All slings have a natural rythm that can be tuned to fit your throwing style. I suspect that as we get older, heavier and slower, longer slings suit better than the short ones, but the young fast guys should be able to use one with great effect - just find a throw that works.

Matthias

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #39 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 3:29am

My main sling is 107cm (+- 42in) and I use that for all slinging. If I go longer than that my favorite, the fig 8 style, feels out of control.

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)