Send Topic Print
new braided design (Read 634 times)
Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
new braided design
Jul 2nd, 2006 at 5:45am

since i got it that the one-string-sling is not a good design for large (tennis balls) ammo (if the cords are braided, if they are just a thin string, than with those add-onns in the pouch they work great), i had a tought how to make another one-material sling.

ok, so it's basically a 12 string braided split pouch design (make a fingerhole of 6 string braid, than overlap them to a 12 string). braid in round style, than a cm before the pouch turn it into a flat braid, than split it in two 6 string flat braids, but just for another cm or two, and than braid 3 braids (4 strings each). than close the pouch in two flat, one flat, and round retention cord.

that way you can get a braided sling for tennis balls, without thouse troublesome knots at all, and have a pouch balls will not fall out prematurely. (in normal split designs, or normal one-string slings, tennis balls allways fall out before i planned tham to do so)

anyhow i type all of this because i haven't had the time to braide one (accutally, i have braided one, but as the idea came to my mind, the retention cord turned to be too short, and the sling (all ready short, so shortening the anchor cord had no sense) was useless), so when i braid and test it i'll try to photo it (together with two or three other slings i'd like to show you), so it may be clearer when you see it.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Loki
Ex Member

Re: new braided design
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 3:06pm

for your tennis ball sling try making your run-of-the-mill balearic sling but make the pocket justa little smaller than the tennis ball.

Loki

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
i made it!
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 2:45pm

eureka!

ok, not the 12 string design, but 9 string - flat braid for the wrist grip, round all the way to the pouch where it divides into three normal braids, coming together into an inch of flat braid, and than continuing round, but with threads cut away gradually - so it ends in a normal 3 stringed braid, with some knots for release and grip.

the split pouch is 2 inches long, wich is a bit too short for the tennis ball, but that's why it ends in an inch of the flat braid. it may not work with a nylon rope, but hemp has much better friction, so that last part helps to hold it in place. (ofcourse, yanks and too fast changes of direction will cause the ball fo fall out, but it dosen't fall out in other cases).

it's good for all sizes of slingable rocks too - from the pebbles size of a thumb tip, to the sizes of a tennis ball.

i may have made the pouch a bit too small, but it's functionable this way too, if you place the ball carefully.

/2 more weeks and i'm off to the dubrovnik - and there i plan to make a new island, with a help from a friend.  Grin /

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)