Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My first (and best) sling [pics] (Read 3535 times)
kipsus
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Lithuania
My first (and best) sling [pics]
Jun 29th, 2006 at 3:48am

I made this one almost accidentally. It was supposed to be a joke but turned out to be a great sling. The pouch is nicely sewed (by my brother btw) from some aviation strip. Originally it was supposed to be a pouch for this:
The strings are parachute cords. I suppose it's kevlar core and nylon braid outside. Extremely strong and absolutely not stretchy.
I have made quite a few slings after this one. Some similar but different length, some braided. But this one turned out to be a perfect combination of properties.
http://photo.kipsus.info/sling001
http://photo.kipsus.info/sling002
Length from loop to pouch (end to end) 80cm ~ 31"
Comments are very welcome

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Re: My first (and best) sling [pics]
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 4:36am

that's a great sling. what's the black stuff covering the notches, is it heat-shrink plastic?

sv

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 4:38am

notches on the catapult, but also the loops at the sling pouch - presumably the cord is sewn under the black stuff too?
it's a neat and tidy job, and looks great

sv

IP Logged

kipsus
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Lithuania
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 5:16am

Yes the black stuff is simple heat shrinking tube. I also put a drop of black hot glue at the ends. One is still present.
Honestly, I don't remember how I managed to join the cord. I guess it's a combination of sewing, winding and super glue Smiley

I am on a holiday now so I will try to make an even better sling soon. Hard to do but I may succeed - who knows Smiley

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 9:44am

Welcome to the forum Kipsus.  Cheesy Smiley .
Really nice sling, better than the first one I made. Eventually I gave up and got one of the premaid slings from Chris and the site. Good luck, and make sure you have lots of room to start practicing.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 12:13pm

Kipsus,

Nice sling!  In my unhumble opinion, you put the pouch to much better use than had you attached it to your hand catapult.  Grin

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 12:54pm

that is a nice sling.  welcome to the gang.

many true glans and strong slings to you.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

kipsus
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Lithuania
Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 1:26pm

Thanks for the kind words but I'm not new to slinging Smiley I started when slinging.org was just a simple static page about slinging history. And now it has become a huge community. Great place!
And that catapult thing isn't mine btw. It's just an illustration of what I meant Wink

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 5:38pm

for some time now i don't have the time to go out slinging, so i just keep on making new slings, and now i have 5 slings waiting to be tested, and it'll be a week or two, maby even month before i test them.

that sucks.

btw sling looks great, shure is better than mine first (or second, and third, or...)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 6:47pm

mordacaj, i do like you and on rainy days i will sit in front of my desk and put together different designs of slings and other things that i can do indoors.  i now have a small tacklebox organizer full of ten or fifteen slings.  \

but yes, that is really a marvelous sling.  very simple and strong design that will hold up for a long time yet, by the looks of it.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 7:15pm

great sling there kipsus. definately better than mine 8)
welcome to the forum (as a member Wink)
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 4:54pm

Hi and welcome to the forum kipsus.
Your sling looks very nice. Cheesy

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 6:36pm

Kipsus,                                                                                    
         Greetings, and I'm glad you finally signed up! I, too, came to Slinging.org many times over a period of some months. Then I realized that everytime I stoked up my computer I would come here FIRST. So.......what the heck, I signed up and it has been fun comparing notes with all of our fellow slingers!                                  
         My first sling worked "OK" but my second sling has been great. Odd how such a simple thing could display such "nuance." Well, as the old saying goes,"The devil is in the details."                                       
         Your use of the black heat shrink tube is interesting. My first sling had big exposed knots which are not esthetically pleasing, but I also wonder if they don't sometimes interfere with the release. I will have to try this heat shrink tubing. Excellent work, kipsus!  Cheesy         
                                                                                  .......Dan

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 10:28pm

Check out MGreenfield's recent posts, he tried a few things and concluded that the smoother, the better!

I recently slung some dirt clods and I found dirt on one side of the release cord, near the pouch.  Obviously the clod rubbed the cord on the way out of the pouch.  So knots can get in the way of the stone or whatever you are slinging.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

kipsus
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Lithuania
Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 1:22pm

Thanks again for all the nice words Smiley
Heat shrink tubing is a very good way to hide or at least "smooth-out" knots. I have noticed their negative influence on accuracy too. Good knot - no knot Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)