Palestinian Rioters (Read 10165 times)
David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Palestinian Rioters
Reply #15 - Jul 10th, 2004 at 9:41pm

A while back a guy wrote in and said that while he was in Samolia, in the Army, he was struck in the throat with a chunk of cement slung from a sling. It drew b l o o d           and could have been worse if it were a more direct hit.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 11:28am

I wouldn't be too quick to assume one way or the other about the ability or effectiveness of the kids with the Palestinian slings.  On the one hand, the mere throwing of a stone can "take your head off (even without a sling), and justifies the use of deadly force by law enforcement officers.  I learned this at the U.S. Border Patrol Academy, and had many a stone hoisted in my diresction, from angles/distances. and with incaccurate enough results that I did not see fit to use deadly force in return, BUT if someone were clearly in range, physically capable and cocked back to "take my head off" at a close enough distance, PARTICULARLY if they were using a sling, I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot to protect my life, and would treat the incident as if it were an attack with a firearm, or knife at close range.

So I don't discount the possibility that they may be effective in the hands of some of the kids, however, just because they have used the slings for a certain period of time STILL doesn't guarantee that they will be able to hit with them when the soldiers are firing back at them/LIKELY to fire back at them.  Even well-trained soldiers/marksmen in combat have an ABYSMALLY low hit rate in combat with the most accurate/convenience of space-age rifles!  Hundreds of shots fired per enemy wounded/killed!  Just look up the stats from the last several wars, if you doubt this. 

Another doubt arises, since, it was DAVID (A HEBREW  shepard under a BENJAMINITE-dominated culture who used the sling AGAINST the Palestinian Goliath, who was armed with a javelin and sword, that gives rise to the assump[tion that the sling was a weapon of choice in the region, BUT I thhink I read that the Palestinians and most OTHER groups of the region have traditionally prefered the bow spear, sword and Greek Hoplite-type weapons over the sling until VERY RECENTLY!  The sling is not a traditional Palestinian favourite weapon, so far as I know.)  Also remember that in Arab cultures, among others in the Region, the general level of even rifle "marksmanship" isn't that good, since showing machismo by firing into the air/posing for a camera with a sling, or making noise with a weapon/brandishing a sword is considered FAR more important than hitting your target.  The soviets, who trained these people, believed in the massed fire principle, hence the Kalashnikov design of their rifles, made to "spray and pray" first, with some abilkity at aimed fire as a secondary bonus.  This worked for combined arms tactics where the infantry only had to spoil the aims of rocket-launcher-armed troops to protect their tanks which in turn protected them as the blew past the front lines into the enemy's less protected rear area (A tactic possibly evolved from years of fighting with Mongols and their cousins, such as the Huns/Madyars, Hussars, Fins, Turks and Cossacks.

Also, with even basic riot gear, the effectiveness of a sling is greatly diminished.  It's true that the odd shot might find its mark between the chinks in the armour, but how many of us could ever hope to be that lucky/accurate against  armoured troops firing back at us?  I think the slings are there more as a show of defiance/ last resort, after rifles or pistols if even available, would more CERTAINLY be more likely to provoke aimed, deadly response from highly trained Israeli troops, with less sympathy from the world public, than if they are shot while "merely" hurling stones.  Most peoiple don't realise how dangerous a sling CAN be IF it DOES hit an unarmoured spot. 

As a psychological/ambush/harassing/last-ditch close range weapon of defense against soldiers not in full riot gear, the sling could certainly be effective if used properly, but I don't think we'll be reading about too many Israeli sling casualties any time soon.  The Palestinians are using pieces of torn-up asphault and concrete, as the Israelis are presumably trying to deprive them of other more dangerous materials to throw at their soldiers.

Just my guesses on the issue.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #17 - Jul 31st, 2004 at 7:41am

When a projectile hits armor, the force is still defused into the person, just in a less concentrated way.  I wouldn't be surprised if slings winded people or even broke ribs.  Rocks are far less dense than lead, and thats important to keep in mind.  We have Roman literature that notes lead projectiles penetrating flesh (they developed special tongs to remove them). 

It doesn't surprise me that a smaller group of highly trained and well equipped roman soldiers could take down a rag tag group of slingers.  Personally, I'd be impressed if they even lasted two days.  It's important to consider that slingers (like archers) are not formidable alone.  They have to work in concord with melee infantry.  It would be hard for ranged units to have any affect on well armored troops (with shields!).  The effectiveness of a sling really played out on ancient battlefield (Babylonians, Greeks, Assyrians, etc.) where there were mass infantry and cavalry devisions, and ranged attacks hailing in from both sides.  The superior range, time to reload and fire, and effectiveness of elliptical lead ammunition made slingers invaluable members of an ancient army.

Chris

IP Logged

jburdine1956
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Henderson, NV
Reply #18 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 11:12am

It is in the skill of the slinger, and the lack of caution in the reciever. A case in point. An Israeli soldier was starting to aim at a crowd of Palestenians with his M-16 and allegedly rubber bullets. The crowd divided and a youth stepped forward and did a quick throw right into the faceplate of the soldier. It smashed the faceplate. The soldier was rendered unconscious, and was carried away by his fellow anti-riot troops. If you have no modern weapons and all  you do is practice with what you have, you get good at it. I've heard stories of Palestenian teenagers shooting out street lights with their slings, as our hooligans would do with BB guns.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #19 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 2:09pm

JBurdine.....glad to make your acquaintance. 

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #20 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 8:13pm

Yeah!  Nice to see you here, J Burdine!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 10:22am

I find it interesting that the modern military gears all of it's soldiers and gear towards warding off high tech stuff while ignoring what a well trained person with low tech stuff could do.
  You think that they would have learned by know.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 11:05am

hey aren't those faceplates supposed to stop bullets?  if they can stop a bullet but not a slingstone, then i guess that is proof that a slingstone can be as or more powerful than a gun.  interesting  Grin  Roll Eyes

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Kukhri
Novicius

Reply #23 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 2:05am

Quote:
hey aren't those faceplates supposed to stop bullets?  if they can stop a bullet but not a slingstone, then i guess that is proof that a slingstone can be as or more powerful than a gun.  interesting  Grin  Roll Eyes

The face shields worn by riot police are rarely bullet resistant. Even so, what stops a bullet, may not always stop another projectile. They are two entirely different missiles.
As to whether or not a sling would have an effect on body armour, it depends on what type the soldier is wearing. Soft armour would not be penetrated by a slung stone. The effects of the stone would be distributed and diminished, but the wearer of the armour would feel the effects. Bruised ribs or worse. Hard armour again depending on the type, usually will not be effected by a stone and the wearer would feel nothing. It may be possible for a very strong sling cast to crack and diminish the integrity of old, low grade hard armour still the soldier would be fine.

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #24 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 5:12am

An armor does not need to be 100% something proof. In the story with the face plate, imagine what would have happened had it not been there!

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Antti
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Finland
Reply #25 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 11:02am

Stones from sling can be seen in the air, and you would have enough time to move a bit, or raise your shield if you see a stone coming your way..

I don't think slingstone would do much damage, if there is a riot-shield (or old roman big shield)  held between the stone and the intended victim.

But I think sling would be effective now, when shields and armour aren't used in a wide scale anymore.. exept maybe in israel/palestinians..

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 8:24am

Quote:
Well, that's just it.  I see these palistinian slingers all the time and I assume that they are fairly experienced with the weapon.  But I've not read any reports of Israeli soldiers being killed by a slingstone.  

On a sidenote, I was reading about the Roman conquest of Britain.  Of particular interest was the description of the Roman sackings of a string of hilltop fortresses manned by thousands of slingers.  Now according to history, none of these fortresses took more than 1-2 days of seige to conquor.  Of course by that time(1st century ad), legionaires themselves had stopped training with the slings.  So I'm wondering, if thousands of experienced slingers using lead projectiles with the advantage of elevation would fall to a relatively small force of Romans so quickly, then maybe the sling isn't as effective as the ancients say it is.

I watched a program some time back where they excavated a hill fort and found the body of a man with a ballista bolt head still impaled in his pelvis. They speculated that the reason the forts gave in so quickly was they had nothing to match the range and accuracy of the Roman ballistas.

Neal

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 8:27am

Quote:
hey aren't those faceplates supposed to stop bullets?  if they can stop a bullet but not a slingstone, then i guess that is proof that a slingstone can be as or more powerful than a gun.  interesting  Grin  Roll Eyes

different types of armour work depending on the velocity of the weopon. So a police officers stab vest will stop a knife but not a bullet while a bullet proof vest will stop a bullet but not a knife thrust.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar)