Send Topic Print
Palestinian Rioters (Read 10168 times)
xerces
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Palestinian Rioters
Jul 5th, 2004 at 8:36pm

Hi all,

I keep seeing news photos of Palestinian youths using slings against IDF troops in Israel.  It appears to me that the bulk of the rioting youth are armed with slings.  Does anyone here know how effective the sling has been for these guys?

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Re: Palestinian Rioters
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2004 at 10:28pm

They have used the sling for so long over in palistine that it must be effective for the rioters.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

krippp
Tiro

Finland
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 8:38am

And if the sling was an effective weapon in ancient warfare, it's probably effective in rioting, also.  Wink

IP Logged

justin Ball

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 3:55pm

...and good for throwing grenades! Check out the posts on sling as a modern warfare weapon, and fireslings a few weeks back. I think its the perfect weapon: hides anywhere, fast and cheap to make, can throw just about anything one can put or balance in the pouch, used by a horde of untrained people it will still rain lethal fist sized stones onto a crowd...and if needed, can be made from a shoe. What are ther IDF gonna do? Arrest every Arab kid wearing shoes??

Justin

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 12:18pm

The slings they use have very long cords, almost equal to the kids' heights, it seems - and a fairly heavy rock. They're not going for high-velocity, small lead glandes.

Actually, the Israeli Army may be taking slings away. I am seeing much fewer now on the news, mostly simple rock throwing...

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 12:56pm

I think an answer to both the question of the effectiveness of slings (particularily those massive stone, long cord ones) and the apparent fewer number of visible slings is that using one is likely to get yourself shot at.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 7:23am

I think that the sling cannot be at all effective against an American-trained army fighting with armoured cars and M16s.  But I suppose if the Israelis decide to build the barrier, then the Palestinians can sling over it, whereas the Israelis would have to make loopholes.

IP Logged

xerces
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 2:21pm

Well the question is: can a sling stone hurt a soldier wearing a kevlar vest with ceramic chestplates?

IP Logged

ZaQ
Tiro

Ancient weapons, modern
soldier.

East Tennessee
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 2:37pm

No, not if it hit the armor.  If the rock hit the soldier in the neck and the neck was unprotected it could easily  crush his windpipe or jujular vien and kill him.

-ZaQ
WWW ZaQ556 ZaQ762  
IP Logged

krippp
Tiro

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 2:45pm

Remember that we're still talking about rioting, and not about actual city warfare or anything like that.  Wink
About kevlars, I'm no expert, but I still beleive that a high velocity, fist sized sling stone in the chest will hurt, even through a kevlar vest. And if it hits the head, it should at least cause a minor concussion. Unless they are wearing some super helmets that I'm not aware of. Smiley
And if the slingstone doesn't hurt through the soldier's armor, then it will certainly hurt if it hits the face, arms, or legs! And since many palestinians have used a sling from their early childhood, I'd assume they're quite accurate with those things, making them able to aim at the most vulnerable spots.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 3:55pm

the stone for the sling when it hits someone with kevlar armor, it transfers all of its energy to the person. This could result in broken bones, bruses, or just knoke them off their feet. And there is know telling what they are slinging at the soliders (gernade, gas bombs).

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 4:16pm

I'm glad I live someplace where nobody's trying to kill me.  None of my targets shoot back! Shocked

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2004 at 10:15pm

Me too.

IP Logged

xerces
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2004 at 12:18am

Well, that's just it.  I see these palistinian slingers all the time and I assume that they are fairly experienced with the weapon.  But I've not read any reports of Israeli soldiers being killed by a slingstone. 

On a sidenote, I was reading about the Roman conquest of Britain.  Of particular interest was the description of the Roman sackings of a string of hilltop fortresses manned by thousands of slingers.  Now according to history, none of these fortresses took more than 1-2 days of seige to conquor.  Of course by that time(1st century ad), legionaires themselves had stopped training with the slings.  So I'm wondering, if thousands of experienced slingers using lead projectiles with the advantage of elevation would fall to a relatively small force of Romans so quickly, then maybe the sling isn't as effective as the ancients say it is.

IP Logged

justin Ball

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2004 at 2:50am

You are correct in that the Romans took many hillforts in a short time, especialy those along the south coast/ south downs. However, though the Romans had lead projectiles, I'm pretty sure the local Celts, defending their hillforts, stuck to stones. Also, Roman siege weapons allowed troops to stay out of the way until a breach was made in a palisade, then troops could move directly into the fortification. Therefore they were out of range for much of the time, and when in range, were behind those huge shields of theirs.

Justin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus)