Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New Pictures--Range Boost (Read 19983 times)
xerces
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New Pictures--Range Boost
Jul 11th, 2004 at 12:25am

In a previous post of mine, I wrote about a modification to lead sling projectiles that allowed for a low-pitched buzzing sound in flight.  This modification involved cutting notches vertical to the length axis of the projectile along the sides of a 4 oz lead fishing weight.

Someone mentioned that the notches may give the projectile additional lift.  I gave that statement a lot of thought and came up with something.    I purchased a bag of 4 oz lead weights that had a tiny hole drilled along it's length(to insert the fishing line).  I cut the 4 standard notches, 2 on either side of the football-shaped weight.  Only, instead of the notches being vertical, I made them diagonal to the length axis of the football.  

So basically each notch began on the outer edge around the middle of the football, and converged upon one tip of it.  Then I hand drilled a tiny hole  from the beginning of each notch to the shaft running along the center of the projectile.  I thought that as the projectile is on the ascent stage of it's parabolic trajectory, air would rush into the central shaft from the upper tip of the football.  When the air got to the middle of the football, some of it would pour into the four holes that I drilled and directly onto the notches that I carved on the surface of the football.  The air would rush against the notches and converge on the bottom tip of the football.  This would serve two purposes.  The first is that the diagonal notches would cause the football to spin faster and thus lower it's cep(circular error probability).  The second purpose is that the air rushing out of the bottom of the notches would exert force against the sides of the football, thus giving it abit of extra lift during the ascent stage.  I thought I had recognized my error after I made the projectile.  I thought that if the notches provided lift for the stone on the ascent state, surely the same notches would speed up the stone on the descent stage and thus negate any advantages of extra lift.  

But with a stone already made I decided to test it out for kicks.  So on friday, I took my medium sling and the stone with me on a fishing trip.  The lake that I fished in has a small island near it's center.  Using my laser range-finding binoculars, I ranged the distance from the shore where I fished to the island to be 310 meters.  Now normally, I would be able to cast a leadweight out to about 140-150 meters max.  Now this modified projectile, once leaving the pouch, flew way up, much higher than the unmodified weight.  There was no buzzing sound, but that was expected since the notches weren't designed to resist the air pushing against it.  The flight was extremely smooth(almost like a rifle bullet), I didn't see any wobble on the tips of the projectile.  Now that looked very odd, since it was as if the stone was flying through the air without any movement upon itself.  The projectile flew until it became a tiny dot in the sky and then it descended.  It appeared to me that the projectile struck the waters very close to the island.  Using my binoculars, I ranged the ripple pattern that the stone made.  The distance ranged was from 278 meters to 291 meters depending on where on the ripple the laser was hitting.  Taking the average of these two values yielded 284.5 meters, that's about double the range on a normal projectile.  That's longer than any stone that I've ever casted with any sling.

Now with this in mind, I'm making a few more of these projectiles.  My heavy sling was able to cast a normal lead-weight out to 195 meters.  If this works, then maybe these projectiles of mine will travel out to nearly 400 meters with that sling.  I'll post the results.

...  ...  ...  ...
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2004 at 6:20pm by David_T »  

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: New projectile design....range boost
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 2:17am

The reflection of an infrared laser pulse from a water 'ripple' is certainly possible, although unlikely.  I too have managed it on occasion, albeit at shorter distances than the numbers you give.  Assuming your account is factual,  you would have to have been stationed considerably higher than the surface of the water to have received a reading as the angle of incidence is much too low otherwise.  At the range you indicate,  your position to obtain an accurate reading would have to have been 130ft. ABOVE the surface of the lake at a bare minimum.  And this, of course, assumes the water was quite placid at the time!  Not that I completely doubt your entire account.....but I would also add that 4 ounce fishing weights make for very.....very small ripples.  Especially small to be trained in on by a laser range finder in time....and at the proper angle, mind you, to be of ANY value whatsoever.   Your account is not without some anecdotal value, however.    I found it very creative and indicative of a keen and inspiring intellect.   Have you entertained the notion of submitting a short story to any publishers of the Sci-Fi genre?

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

xerces
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 2:34am

Well, I was spotting from a short slope above the water.  But I was only about 2 meters above water level at the most.  This was done in the late afternoon and the lake's surface was very placid.  That ripple started small, but by the time I ranged it, it was quite noticeable.  If you don't believe me, buy a fishweight and try it yourself.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 2:41am

It is of no consequence.  I do agree with you in part. Ripples (of varying kind) do seem to get bigger as time goes by.   Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 6:39am

Quote:
Your account is not without some anecdotal value, however.    I found it very creative and indicative of a keen and inspiring intellect.   Have you entertained the notion of submitting a short story to any publishers of the Sci-Fi genre?  

I don't like your patronising tone.

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 8:14am

Interesting and worth continued investigation, I think.  Post some photos when you can. Dan

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 9:03am

Quote:
I don't like your patronising tone.

That's just part of TechStuff's special "charm".   We all have our own form of special charm.   Ask our wives.  mgreenfield  (Who's old enough to have seen a lot of special charm)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 2:48pm

Blessed are the peacemakers...---Mgreenfield, you have a way with words and smoothing out rough spots  Grin

The forum needs all sorts to keep things straight and on the level.

I would love to try some of your lead bullets! Can you send a digital picture of one that we can post?

Send the picture to the email address on the home page and I will post it or make it ready for you to post.

David

IP Logged

xerces
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 9:20pm

I've sent the pics.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2004 at 9:24pm

Good point, Dave.   Would that one day I obtain the patience to join their ranks on a full time basis.  Undecided

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 10:52am

Quote:
We all have our own form of special charm.   Ask our wives.

"Special Charm," huh?  That's not what my wife calls it... Wink Smiley

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: New Pictures--Range Boost
Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 6:22pm

Check out the pictures of the modified lead projectiles. I added them to the end of the first post.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 12:16am

lol....mine either Hobb......mine either.  Undecided

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 12:46pm

I'll bet you've seen this:
Why Do Golf Balls Have Dimples?

Because the dimples maximize the distance golf balls travel. Dimpled balls travel up to four times farther than smooth-surfaced golf balls.

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2004 at 12:52pm

ya know what I'd like to see? how about someone make a glandes with the same dimple pattern as a golfball?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)