Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
International Slinging Federation (Read 14894 times)
Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: International Slinging Federation
Reply #90 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 2:15pm

Lol never said i wouldn't love to see the movies Cheesy and it Would be cool if someone gets off fireballs with a sling But its just bad publicity for the sling in general if people see you can do things like that with one (offcourse anyone with have a brainstem can figure it out but hey Tongue)

Taiki  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #91 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:46pm

I think the International Slinging Federation will just have to deal with them. There are many notices posted throughout this site on the dangers of slinging and anyone who get in trouble as a result of his/her poor judgement should not assume that much support will come from this site or any federation. Undecided

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #92 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 10:48pm

I will send a very nice card to whatever Burn Unit you are in though. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #93 - Jul 15th, 2006 at 4:12am

Quote:
I think the International Slinging Federation will just have to deal with them.

I agree.  And Slinging.org, as the likely communications hub of the proposed ISF, can make the obvious and wise choice to partially indemnify itself by simply not hosting dangerous topics that obviously run counter to the best interests of such an undertaking.

Of course there are those who would argue that such stipulation itself, may be splitting hairs considering that many perceive the sport of slinging as too dangerous and a public disservice even in and of itself.

I personally have received, on numerous occasions, inquiries into my motivation for sharing such a dangerous, even 'anarchic', sport with the general public.

My response usually includes comparisons to other sports such as Golf or Baseball which involve the swinging of an apparatus in order to cause an object to fly an appreciable distance.

If our sport were to catch on to the extent that rapid, appreciable growth is experienced.....only time will tell who is the better judge of human nature as applies to the sling.....Those who know it well, or those looking for yet another convenient scapegoat for society's ills.

When I first sold my CO2000 dart & arrow launchers to the public,  a certain someone cajoled me with the expression:

"Oh look, the next thing in drive by shootings."

I suppose if I were selling a new set of kitchen knives, he might have said....

"Oh look, the next thing in domestic stabbings."

In a world largely governed by tyranny in it's various guises, anarchy is a certainty....real or imagined.  Either as a natural reaction to oppression or manufactured to produce a means to a desired end.

Quote:
There are many notices posted throughout this site on the dangers of slinging and anyone who get in trouble as a result of his/her poor judgement should not assume that much support will come from this site or any federation.

And posts involving poison, explosives, or incendiaries can easily be construed as providing support for the lower common denominator you describe.  There's a million places on the net where such banter is accepted and encouraged.

The point is, we certainly have enough to chew on, should we really decide to sink our teeth in.....without storing up extra fuel for someone else's fire.

I for one, would really like to see such a body as the ISF, enjoy public acceptance.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #94 - Jul 15th, 2006 at 7:16am

Just imagine what our fans would be like as compared to say...........World Cup soccer! Shocked

John Walker  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #95 - Jul 15th, 2006 at 2:08pm

Perhaps we slingers were simply born in the wrong millenium.

8)

TS
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2006 at 12:31am by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #96 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 7:28pm

it certainly seems that way, doesn't it ts?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #97 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 7:57pm

perhaps not -  there hasn't been a better time in history to be alive

sv

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #98 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 8:34pm

perhaps not another time was better for living, but not perhaps to practice those hobbies which we have taken to liking

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #99 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 9:14pm

Maybe it is us who need to evolve? As a species, man has never proven himself to a peaceful herd animal. But that is a topic for a different thread.

John Walker  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #100 - Jul 16th, 2006 at 9:16pm

yes it seems that we are always uncontent with being who we are and always we need to go further(though we often have gone backwards instead)

but yes kahuna, this should be braught up elsewhere, if at all
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:14pm by siguy »  

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #101 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 4:50am

regarding my current skill - i'm all too happy that i don't have to live from my sling (either as a herdsman, or as a live target)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #102 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 7:25am

@TechStuf:

You can compare the sling with the bow & arrow. The bow is archaic, it is a weapon, it is dangerous and yet it is a popular sport. And the sling like the bow are one of the very very few weapons which are not controlled by the German weapon law. For crossbows, spears, swords, clubs, ... you need permits to go to a fair. With sling and bow you just can legally go there without any permit. (But IANAL!)

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #103 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 12:35pm

Quote:
We need 75 national organizations on 4 continents each having national competitions, and international competitions between countries to even be considered for the Olympics.

this is what was written by craftsman in the take down blowgun thread in reference to getting the blowgun into the olympics. 

i would assume that the same rules apply to all sports, so that is what we need in order to get the sling into the olympics. 

as far as i know, we have the 4 continents part covered, but we need to organize 75 national organizations for the sling in order to be considered for the olypics.

i think that we need to get to work  Grin

btw, if i am wrong please correct me.  i may be jumping the gun a little bit here in saying this, so please let me know if this is not true

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #104 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 1:31pm

ZT.....good analogy.  I noticed the scutiny of our 'strange animal' at the outdoor festival I attended recently, especially from the festival co-ordinators.  It seems that it is not currently classified, at least locally.  Time will tell as to how our sport is made to evolve.  Hopefully, public administrators will not judge our sport solely on it's weakest links.  Paintball and other sports involving high speed projectiles are occasionally egregiously misused, yet they seem to enjoy wide acceptance.  I hope the same will be true of Slinging.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker)