Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
International Slinging Federation (Read 14881 times)
Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: International Slinging Federation
Reply #15 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 6:47am

sv you have a point; the sling has seen some bad publicity with the palestininan uses of it. But that does not mean it wouldn't take as a regulated sport

so its worth a try because Zwiebeltuete has a point as well i have been practecing a lot too but i still cannot put my stone consistently in a radius of a heador any other human killzone..(not that i'm trying to reach this effect in any way)

Taiki  
IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #16 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 6:29pm

Hi folks, here is Jarley from Rio de Janeiro (Brasil)
I would like to say that I totally agree with Dale and funda_iucunda words; FBTF is well-established, they care a lot about security and have a lot of experience on teaching people how to sling well and safely -not to mention their excellent bilbiographic references. The idea of stipulating two different categories, one played by people using only slings made of natural material (I only use this, my sling was made by the handcrafter that makes the slings to some of the FBTF members) and others for the ones that prefer sinthetic material.
Personally, I thought more than once about trying to contact some Clubs here, in order to find more people interested about  start slinging, and in these places we could practise with tennis balls. The matter is that I live in Copacabana, in the urban area of Rio de Janeiro, and i can't think about nowhere near here that could "host" a competition  with stones being used. This is something that bores me a lot, I don't use to sling a lot 'cause I can't make nice slings from natural fibers, and how i could teach people if I don't feel  myself as a GREAT slinger? even if I were, i would need lots of slings available for the one's I would teach... and sincerely i don't want to spend a lot of money - they are unexpensive, but if i try to buy 50 for instance  it would be costly, we have a lot of import rules here etc. Truely speaking, count on me to help in whatever you need as an international contributor, but i don't want to be so much involved here as to have to spend my free time organizing big events, or spending my own money on it.
but if people want to sling here, and they are nice people ok - we could then start to think about something more serious.
I will be really glad if we can plan an international  meeting  in the next-two-years, and i would prefer if it could happen in the Balear Islands, land of the FBTF
slingers. We would have a nice time there,  get lots of culture, and lots of slinging too... and could learn from them. I would just have to plan it at least one year before so, if you want, we can start to plan it by now...

PS: personally speaking (again Grin) I really don't mind about competition, I am 39 now and had been competing in futsal(indoor soccer) and wrestling when I was young... now I just want to have fun so, if we organize a competition, I could practise and prepare myself to be a referee... I would be glad to cntribute like this , and i would not have to compete against nobody... Wink 8)

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #17 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 6:59pm

Exactly because of the problems friebejr has there should be a special tennis ball class. When people train and compete outside the islands they will have these problems.

friebejr, if you need cheap slings I can recommend Lund's 3-knot sling. In Germany I can easily get the rope for such a sling for about 1-2 EUR. I normally use such a sling.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #18 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 10:14pm

nice suggestions, Zwiebeltuete!
I didn't thought about a specific cathegory for tennis balls, it is a great idea...
Concerning the slings, do you know someone who use to make them with the material you mentioned? I am interested to buy some. I think that  ANY sling cheaper than 10 euros is really unexpensive... Wink  the matter here are the taxes (60% over the prices), but if we buy unexpensive things, that's ok; but imagine if I would have to buy 50 slings in order to let them available to people that could be interested on learning how to sling... it would cost me 500 euros+300+shipping... Shocked

PS: I appreciate a lot people who know how to braid and to do handcraft works in general... I am both a teacher and a profesional handcrafter (I make handmade works using a vertical loom), but i have no patience to do slings... I tried to make some like the one's they teach at the FBTF home page, but I could not do nothing more than a poor thing... Embarrassed I really prefer to buy them...

Let's keep in contact!

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 3:17am

Quote:
I will be really glad if we can plan an international  meeting  in the next-two-years, and i would prefer if it could happen in the Balear Islands, land of the FBTF 

why not just go to the balaerics and compete as an FBTF shooter, instead of trying to replicate an organisation that already exists?

it might be better to support the organisation that's kept slinging alive as a competitive sport.

sv

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 9:15am

SV:

some comments about your post:

1) I don't think anybody thought about create a FBTF "clone". The matter is that there are people that are more competitive than others, and i don't think they'll be satisfied to play one match each 2 or 3 years - for people outside Europe, travelling to Spain is not exactly cheap...

2) For me it would be nice just to be there, we could arrange some championship together with them, and i'd be satisfied.

3) The main trouble: a lot of people here in our community prefer to practise with artificial/sinthetic material, and this is not allowed by the FBTF. We can't forget that slinging is a traditional game there, which concept differs a lot, IN MY OPINION, from the term "sport' in a general; soccer or basketball are sports, but are not traditional games(TG); krulbol in the Netherlands, Aunt Sally, quoits and shove ha' penny in England, Palet in France and Jukskei in South Africa are traditional games, even if they're organized in Federations like other sports. What I mean is that even when they're coimpetitive,  TG's are not organized with the main objective of getting higher scores only, they are a part of people's culture. That's why I love them, and have been researching this subject for more than 10 years now... I have nothing against trying to sling better for accuracy or for distance, nor against competitions - I just only think that life is enough competitive and  I don't need to be better than others also in my free/leisure time - I must try to do my best in my profession, as a human being etc. But well, I am starting to be too phylisophic Grincal and that's only to ask you:

Would the guys (I mean ourselves, the Communitty) be satisfied to play only with natural-material-made slings, and so probably reach less distances in their throws?

Anyway, i agree that we must have the FBTF as THE reference for us. And I can't forget to say that I had been once honoured by them with a FBTF license and a certificate some years ago... that I proudly put on  my room's wall Cheesy
We must try to be there , maybe... next year? it will be great, the first World Sling meeting and contest... it will be unforgetable.
And we can trust that Vicente, Mateo Caņellas and the others will do the best to make it a really nice meeting.
PS: what's your opinion, guys and girls, about creating a "tennis balls" competition? i think it is a great idea, but it should be a competition based on accuracy, not playing for distance, or the winner would be only the strongest ones, not necesarily the better slingers... (maybe the target should be a kind of wooden plate, put in a vertical plane, with holes from different diameters, each of them scoring different: less points for the biggest "holes", more points when someone make the tennis balls enter in the smaller holes... what do you think about it?

thank you for the comments, sv. i am waiting for your opinion about these other questions too, ok? Wink

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 10:17am

the holes won't make it because what if someone aims for the smallest one (let's say - just the size of the ball), and he fails by less than an inch, and oneone else aims  for the biggest one, and hits it.

now - the first one was by far more precise, but he dosen't get any points?

let's stick to the classical targets, and if you think that tennis balls rolled in paint ( Smiley ) would be just a bit too much, we make a target from the front layer, than layer of indigo paper, and than the record layer. indigo paper will leave a mark on the record paper, and if the hit isen't strong enough, than i think it shouldn't even count as a hit.

i'm still for the paint Cheesy

other stuff seems in place.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 12:09pm

reasonable enough to me.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 12:17pm

If we go for the traditional balearic target, I think it is a metal cirkel on a wooden board, with tennisballs you can hear the hits good enough.

If we have many people who score in the first round we can have a second round for those with a smaller cirkel.

I think it is a good idea to have an international slinging organisation, with possible for each country/state a smaller section or branch. So we can create competitions and apply for space to hold them.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 3:09pm

I like the traditional FBTF target as well. It is simple, rewards accuarcy on a level that is consistent with most slingers abilities, and it should work with a variety of ammunition. I don't like the very limited number of throws in sanctioned events, and it seems to me that some of the shorter distances are not necessarily appropriate - I expect that many people end up lobbing the throws at the short distance. I'd like to see the limits on sling materials, and (particularily) throwing style lifted for international competition.

friebejr is absolutely right in saying that the FBTF has cultural preservation as one of its main goals. They have done a great job of preserving (I'd imagine tenuously at times) the sport of Balearic slinging, and should be regarded as a great model on which to build other national organisations.

Matthias

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 7:33pm

The idea of the wooden-target with holes was thought only for the use of tennis balls as amunition - with stones, i agree that the metal circle, like the one used by FBTF, is much better!
(those things that happen when we have to express ourselves in another language... Embarrassedsorry... ).

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 7:51pm

Quote:
1) I don't think anybody thought about create a FBTF "clone". The matter is that there are people that are more competitive than others, and i don't think they'll be satisfied to play one match each 2 or 3 years - for people outside Europe, travelling to Spain is not exactly cheap...

good point, here in the easyjet/ryanair kingdom, it's cheaper to get to spain that to get a taxi home from the pub

Quote:
2) For me it would be nice just to be there, we could arrange some championship together with them, and i'd be satisfied.

i don't think so. bringing a nylon sling to the FBTF arena would be like bringing a crossbow to an archery club. or a grenade to a fly-fishing contest. i would expect a welcome if we play by their rules, but otherwise not.

Quote:
3) The main trouble: a lot of people here in our community prefer to practise with artificial/sinthetic material, and this is not allowed by the FBTF. We can't forget that slinging is a traditional game there, which concept differs a lot, IN MY OPINION, from the term "sport' in a general

yes, that makes sense, but there is a danger that we end up going down the fullerene/depleted uranium route. i personally think that the FBTF "natural materials only" is pretty fair (even though i usually use a nylon sling, i get good results from jute)  . 
remember the row about alumuinium cricket bats? it's just not the done thing, and that's the attitude the balaeric  traditionalists would most likely take with us.
so you are right, we either play by the established rules or make up our own. 

Quote:
We must try to be there , maybe... next year

i think i'll be ready by next year, it would be great to meet up and compete. this would give those who want to form their own organisation some idea of what they want to  achieve

anyway, i suggest we compete in the only established forum in the first instance. there is nothing to lose and a lot to gain. either we end up satisfied with what already exists, or we don't. and at least in that case we will have experienced regulated competition.

what about a slinging.org team to compete in spain?

sv

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 9:21pm

I am REALLY pleased to see how much international interest there is in organizing a Slinging Federation. It was my intent to organize the United States Slinging Federation along the same/similar lines as the Baleric Federation. I think the folks from each country should decide among themselves just how their own federations should be organized. If and when an International Slinging Federation comes into being, I think our Spanish Brothers should have a position in the forefront of the organization as they were the ones to keep the tradition alive most visably.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 10:09pm

I am really starting to think that my english is worse today than usually - an I am not saying that it is good... Angry
I'll try again to express myself better, ok???

1. I appreciate your sense of humour, but surely travelling to Spain is cheaper from a european country than from Brasil, be sure... I never thought taxis were so expensive in your country  Wink

2. I did  not say that we should play in Balearic Islands using nylon slings; by the way, I said the opposite, that they only use matural material in their slings.

I hope this is better explained now...if it is not, I promise to  Lips Sealed or to start writing in portuguese. Grin

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 10:40pm

Friebejr, you are doing just fine. I am sure that your English is much better than our Portugese/Spanish.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris)