Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
International Slinging Federation (Read 14884 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
International Slinging Federation
Jun 28th, 2006 at 6:28am

We are looking for volunteers to serve as acting Directors for each nations slinging Federation. This would be the formal body that would organize each countries slinging teams for international competition. All ideas, thoughts suggestions etc will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Re: International Slinging Federation
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 7:38am

I would gladly take up the post for Hong Kong/China.

I think we need to make up a wat to compete to make it more interesting than just hitting a target, like a scoring system where some hits are more important than others.  I'll post some ideas soon.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 7:54am

if there is noone else i volounteer for the croatian post.

we should have different range categories, maby even age too.

but as a main problem i see - security Cheesy

and what would the ammo be? personal choice or ..?

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 8:01am

err. there is much to talk about it. where would the competitions take place, how would the federation be directed and governed..

darn, i hate it whey i lack the words in english, and i'm too tired to go searching in dictionary now.

i'm giving my full support to this idea, and will help in any way i can, but just be warned - there is a LOT of work just to get it started.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 9:32am

Regarding competitions I think it is necessary to have rules for the ammunition or even standardized ammunition with the aim of being less dangerous to bystanders. I think that would make the organization of competitions easier. If people are allowed to sling lead glandes security is much more work than if people are allowed to sling only paper balls.

So in my opinion the distribution of leading positions when it is agreed on the basics, the aim of the federation, charta?, rules?, competition classes. That is on what it lives, not who has which position.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 12:08pm

perhaps instead of age as an organizer, and how long a person has been slinging.

as for ammo, i think that each person should be allowed to use their own ammo, as some people train with a specific ammo to gain accuracy (consitstency seems to be key) and if you suddenly switched their ammo on them they would suffer.

perhaps for the united states there should be a representative for each state or two states, as the entire country is really big to be covered by one person.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 1:40pm

Take a look at the various posts by Vicente, who is an offical of the Federació Balear de Tir de Fona (the Balearic Federation for Slinging, is I think how it translates to English).  That will give you some idea of how much work is involved.  Some things, that don't seem threatening, can be enacted quickly (e.g., it only took them a few months to decide to allow members/competitors that do not actually live in the Balearic Islands, after one of us asked about that).  Other things may be debated forever (e.g., whether to allow a longer sling: should records using longer slings, overturn prior records set before the longer slings were allowed?).

We debated these matters ourselves, several times, with regard to getting slinging into the Olympics (the FBTF has beaten us to it, they submitted their own regulations to the Olympic Committee several years ago).  Do a search in the forum on "Vicente" or on "Olympics", you will find most of the related posts.

My two cents' worth:
I think that any international federation, should support competitions in two broad classes: Traditional (a la FBTF rules: natural materials only, stones used as found and not reshaped, overhand style with at least two wind-up rotations, etc) and Freestyle (Kevlar cords [or even carbon nanotubes, once we figure out how to do it], precision-molded lead glandes, any style you feel like using, etc).  There should also be two orthogonal classes (accuracy and distance) making a total of four basic events (Traditional accuracy, Freestyle accuracy, Traditional distance [in which I expect to see Larry Bray and probably Jurek], and Freestyle distance [David Engvall, and TechStuf]).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 2:01pm

How do they ensure safety at their competitions? When allowing Kevlar slings with darts that is probably not easy. I would try to get at least one class with less possibles of hazzards so that people which have difficulties finding the correct environment can at least train and compete in that class. The regulation of the slining style in the traditional category is not favourable for me, but I will not win a penny anyhow, so I think the FBTF regulations are a very good starting point.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 2:56pm

well you could have a catagory for the specialized gear
and that could be held in a extra safe area.
by standers farther back more nets in place. sturdier
back drops that sort of thing
and in u.s.a ill put up my time to help when and where as you all know i travel a bit lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 3:51pm

When we discuss an organization on an international level we shoult not omit the FBTF. I visited their website several months before I found slinging.org. Their rules and their disciplins an scoring system seem very reasonable to me.
For competition they use well shaped natural stones. Beginners and children use tennis balls. Public relations activities in the city are done with tennis balls as well.
On the range the crowd is protected by a netting arranged like a soccer goal behind the slinger.

funda

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 9:54pm

do you have their url

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 2:01am

The Federació Balear de Tir de Fona has a web site at this URL:

http://www.tirdefona.com/

The text is written in Catalan, but they have translations in progress into Spanish and English:

http://www.tirdefona.com/espanol/marcoesp.htm

http://www.tirdefona.com/Ingles/marcoing.htm

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 5:05am

this notion is unfeasable and pointless for the following reasons

1. the FBTF already exists, so a lot of work will be expended in constructing a replica (probably inferior) of what is already there.

2. the FBTF has a large congregation of local slingers, enthusiasts from an early age, dedicated at a genetic level to make their hobby work. make no mistake, it is a lot of hard work and organisation,  and volunteers' time.
we are widely dispersed, and are not a cohesive force - just a few enthusiasts of varying abilities, techniques, and temeprament.

3. who will pay for insurance?

4. who fancies a court case when some nut case learns to sling in a club environment - perhaps taught by one of us - and who then slings at someone and kills them? 

5. people of a certain inclination discover the sling themselves, and perhaps that's for the best in legislation-mad UK
an organisation that promotes widespread use of what amounts (kinetically speaking) to a .45 revolver made from a bootlace is asking for trouble. 

5(a)  how popular would slinging be with the authorities when it's packaged and sold with a picture of some ninja nut-case on the pack - it's only a matter of time, if people think it'll sell. look what's happened to pen-knives, they used to be little sheffield  ones you could buy off a card in a newsagents. now they seem to look like some klingon robocop S.W.A.T accessory which could kill a rhinoceros,   for 16's only. and that's due to change too. 4 years in jail  for carrying one!

no, gentlemen, i suggest we stay low-key and survive, and compete in spain if necessary.   

it is MUCH CHEAPER in time, money and risk. 

sorry, but there it is.

sv

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 5:44am

The FBTF uses Flash for their menus. That's why I haven't noticed them yet (and will ignore them in the future).

The danger of being regulated by the law is certainly present, but I do not believe it is that big. In Germany the sling falls in the same unregulated category as the bow. (But not the crossbow) Also not very regulated are muzzle loaders. The reason why they are not regulated is that they are not very convenient to commit crimes with. Even after 9 months of slinging it is much easier for me to stab one with a kitchen knife to death than to kill with my sling, unless he stands unmoved for halve an hour waiting for multiple hits.

Zwiebeltuete

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 6:00am

this is yearly entertainment near where i live

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38120000/jpg/_38120882_riotlineup.jpg

what's missing from this man's hand? clue; cheap to make, can severely dent a policeman's helmet (!)

i dunno, maybe it's better to keep slinging out of the spotlight.

sv

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15)