Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
making ammo (Read 18058 times)
Jeepslinger
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: making ammo
Reply #15 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 10:18pm

You can make a good cheap lead mold out of plaster of paris. Mold your glandes shape out of wax and cast your plaster around it. Make sure it's vertical in the mold. When it sets drill down to the top point of the wax glandes. Then, bake the whole thing to melt the wax out and harden it. Take a thin jigsaw blade and carefully cut the plaster mold into two halves. When you're ready, clamp the two halves together and pour in the molten lead, then let cool. It helps if you chamfer the hole you pour the lead into. The method is cheap and easy to make multiple molds. Does this help everybody? If it does, please post some shots of your ammo.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 10:45pm

Some of you pro aerodynamics geeks need to verify somethinfg for me please.

I am going to make some lead glands with fins molded into them to see if it will make them fly exta staight.

Assuming that I am right handed and using an OVERHAND cast, the spin caused by the release is in a clockwise or left to right direction. I am sure this is correct.

My question is: if the gland is in front of you and pointed straight ahead, would the fins need to be running diagonally from front right to back left on the gland to give it the same rotation as the release? If they are not in the right direction they will be fighting the rotation caused by the release.

I apreciate the input Grin

I am thinking about making the front point of the gland being able to accept some type of arrow type tip that would give it cutting action for penitration. Something that would screw into it and not be too bulkie to hang up in the pouch.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 9:50am

A right-handed slingster, pitching overhand, with the retained cord on bird or ring finger and hanging outside the fist, should release glandes with a clockwise spin as seen going away from the slingster.   So any fins on a glande should run from front right toward rear left.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #18 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 11:09am

It will be a pain to get this "right". The twist is same as a rh screw, like you both said, but the angle is going to be important too. Get it wrong to either side and the fins will be slowing down the glans (trying to spin faster if too shallow a pitch and slowing it down if too steep). Add to this the disturbance to the flow and I'm not certain that you have a winning proposition. The force exerted by the small fins over a short moment arm will probably be too small to fight the "gyro stabilisation" effect of the spin as well, but we'll never know unless you try! I expect that they will look pretty trick no matter what 8)

You want to try a couple of experiments for the sake of advancement of sling physics David? (and you other rifle-spinners out there?) Pick of some plastilene clay and make some prototype projectiles (if you are keen make them bi-colour!) and then throw them close range at a solid wall. Photograph the results. Then throw them long range at a wall (hitting the proverbial "broad side" Wink) and compare. I would like to see the attitude at impact...

Might be worthwhile for testing ideas like fins as well if you have a range where you can recover ammo and they wont get _too_ dirty. Make the test glandes big enough for appropriate weight and the effects will scale down for lead. If the clay available is too soft, bringing a bucket or cooler of icewater should stabilise them nicely.

Matthias

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #19 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 11:44am

Thanks Guys for the quick replies!

I too am wondering how much, if any, useful effect fins will have on a heavy lead gland in short range. I would bet almost none if I had to make a bet. Perhaps long range 50+ yards. Ranger is not the issue in my expirement.

I mainly want to try it in order to assure a point first hit at 20-30 yards. Don't you think a 4-5 ounce gland with a sharp point would penitrate an animal? Wild Pig or Turkey?  I came within 8 ft of a wild tukey at 50 yards while on vaction. It was on a dirt road near our cabin and I stopped the car and took the shot. I then followed it through the woods a few hundred yards hoping for another shot.

I have not puchased my 20'x20' netting yet but I do have an old trampoline I can stretch out and test the shots.

Yes, I plan to test some plaster ones first. We will see?

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #20 - Aug 14th, 2004 at 3:06pm

I used to punch holes in things with my sling, but you sort of lose track of how much power you are actually putting behind your projectile when most of your shots go out into the ocean. Pegging my ballistic pendulum to the ceiling a couple of times was an eye opener - I'd underestimated by about 3 the mass needed to absorb the impact force. Equally impressive is the flattened diameter of the clay glans on impact with the wall when I miss the target. Methinks at close range, pretty much any projectile is going to pulverise a turkey, let alone penetrate it Grin

Matthias

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 2:59am

Matthias wrote on Aug 14th, 2004 at 3:06pm:
I used to punch holes in things with my sling, but you sort of lose track of how much power you are actually putting behind your projectile when most of your shots go out into the ocean. Pegging my ballistic pendulum to the ceiling a couple of times was an eye opener - I'd underestimated by about 3 the mass needed to absorb the impact force. Equally impressive is the flattened diameter of the clay glans on impact with the wall when I miss the target. Methinks at close range, pretty much any projectile is going to pulverise a turkey, let alone penetrate it Grin

Matthias

Must agree. I once used to sling T.V glass at squirrels that tended to eat stuff I did not want them to eat. I tried asking them to stop. They ignored me... T.V glass chunks, about 1/2 oz each, slung from a "shotgun" sling, can easily remove a squirrel's head, nearly cut it in half( if I make them longer... they would), or literally "split" its head and half the body in two. its quite impressive. I used a 25 inch sling.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #22 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 11:16am

squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 2:59am:
T.V glass chunks, about 1/2 oz each, slung from a "shotgun" sling, can easily remove a squirrel's head, nearly cut it in half( if I make them longer... they would), or literally "split" its head and half the body in two. its quite impressive. I used a 25 inch sling.

Shocked

I was trawling for info on slingstones and glans plumbata dimensions only to find this.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 4:58pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 11:16am:
squirrelslinger wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 2:59am:
T.V glass chunks, about 1/2 oz each, slung from a "shotgun" sling, can easily remove a squirrel's head, nearly cut it in half( if I make them longer... they would), or literally "split" its head and half the body in two. its quite impressive. I used a 25 inch sling.

Shocked

I was trawling for info on slingstones and glans plumbata dimensions only to find this.

LOL, back when I used to hunt pests with a sling. You want me to take pics once I get another one?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #24 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 5:15pm

That's the only thing I know of that would make C_A wig out.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 6:34am

he does have a point whistle

A thread entitled 'look how much I can mutilate a squirrel with slung glass' will very definitely be a bad idea Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ericrose82
Novicius

Learning to Sling

Sedgwick, Kansas, USA
Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 8:43am

[quote author=BRENT link=1151350360/0#8 date=1063494426]one trouble with making ammo is losing it.but,i have an answer.go to micheals or an art store and buy the clay brand Sculpey,yep i spelled it right,buy the atomic orange color its really blaze orange but they call it atomic orange. Make it into a ball  and bake it you wont easily lose your ammunition.
Brent    [/quote]

Hi, just wondering, what kind of results can I get merely baking clay?  Is there a good way to make a homemade kiln?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 1:15pm

Regular clay air-dried is excellent ammo. It dissolves when wet and shatters on impact with hard surfaces but it is very easy to make, just roll them up in your hands and leave them to dry in a warm place for a few days.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #28 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 6:45pm

What David said.  I fire mine, I have a kiln and I pit fire, also.  It makes good ammo even better, the fired clay will break pine boards.  But, you still lose it so I usually just make up some and let it sit until I have a load of pots to fire.

IP Logged

ericrose82
Novicius

Learning to Sling

Sedgwick, Kansas, USA
Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 8:44pm

Thanks for the advice!

David- excellent photo with the balance scale!  I thought that a simple balance would make a great way to get consistent clay pieces.

Bill- if you don't mind sharing, how do you make the pit fire?  I would like to know how to do that.  I "fired" a clay ball by putting in my wood stove when it was nice and hot (on the top of one of the fire bricks), and it seemed to get pretty hard, but I'm not sure it was actually fully fired.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus)