Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone had similar experiences? (Read 2398 times)
Tito

Australia
Anyone had similar experiences?
Jun 25th, 2006 at 8:01pm

Ever had one of these things happen to you...?

Back in September 05 i had the wonderful idea of making a fireball sling. the pocket would be made out of chainmail and there would be flexible cable for a short distance up both cords so nothing would catch fire. i bought all the neccesary tools and stuff...except for the chainmail.
i had the idea that if i tried to make my own chainmail out of home-made rings (like altay's chainmail), the rings would eventually pull apart during one of my throws, and spread fire and havoc to those nearby Roll Eyes. then someone from the forum (sorry but i can't remember the name right now) suggested that i use keyrings, because they won't pull apart. a great idea! so i went down to the local hardware store (Mitre 10), placed an order for 70 12mm keyrings (they were cheap at 10c each) and waited for the order to come through...and waited...and waited...and waited. after visiting the said store a number of times to see if my order arrived, they finally told me in FEBRUARY 06 that someone else had taken my order. the guys at the hardware store thought that the guy who got my keyrings was me... cos hey, how many idiots order 70 keyrings?
frustrated i replaced my order and waited...and waited...and waited. again after visiting the store again and again to check it they had arrived...i got the news LAST SATURDAY (10th june 06) that they stopped making the 12mm rings sometime last month and someone was supposed to call me and explain why! (at least that's what the girl at the hardware store told me)
isn't that just typical... Angry

Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Anyone had similar experiences?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 9:44pm

that's horrible!!!   i can't beleive that happened to you!  those jerks should be reprimanded and stuff.

how sad that is.  perhaps you should try ordering 13 mm rings and hope they get put there soon.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 9:55pm

At the very least are they going to give your money back? That's horrible, Tito. How many times can one place screw up an order, seriously?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 9:47pm

thanks guys
there was only one good thing which happened from this...and that was i thankfully didn't need to pay a fee for placing an order. but even so, Mitre 10 is burned off my shopping list. maybe i'll try Home Hardware or if im desperate, Bunnings.
Tito

That's one small sling for David. One giant headache for Goliath.&&The safest place to stand when I sling, is right in front of me!

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 10:15pm

Quote:
there was only one good thing which happened from this...

That you know of....

Save the fireballs for your trebuchet, thus avoiding a bigger mess.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 11:41am

Learn from us Americans: Sue for emotional distress!  Tongue Roll Eyes

Thats a joke though, I'd make them pay for the rings for me. Otherwise start a huge campaign against them with boycotts and everything else.  For some reason, stores are always very good to me  Grin Wink

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 12:07pm

Try using kevlar wicks next time, as long as the fuel isn't soaked up by them they won't burn, and if they do it'll go out without damaging much, infact, you could probably make a pretty cool fire sling from fire juggling stuff.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2006 at 7:10pm

you know TechStuff...you're probably right. a treb would be better for fireballs...except a sling's more fun Tongue. i guess it looks like i am a CrAzY kId whose got a really wacked idea...but hey, im in for the thrill of throwing fireballs 8) (this doesn't mean that i won't have all the safety stuff ready. i may be a pyro but im not stUpId Wink)

i still need the materials for making a fireproof pouch.  thanks for the kevlar idea Matt_C. i hadn't thought of that

one more problem... im not sure where i can buy kevlar in Melbourne. any help from the aussies here?

thanks guys

Tito

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 12:23pm

if you want to throw fireballs that light after they hit,  (and don't say i told you this because i don't want to get in trouble) (i haven't tried this so don't blame me if it doesn't work) take a tennis ball, cut a little hole in it and fill it half way with lighter fluid or the like and take a dozen wood matches and break the sticks in half.  stuff the heads through the hole and throw the ball at something.  the matches will rub together and go up in flame.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 12:57pm

Do not try this.

Unless you know what you do and have a safe place to do so.

I would recomment this to be above 18 only.
And fireproof surroundings only.

And even then you have to be real carefull.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 1:56pm

no matter how fun slinging fireballs would be - slinging with you skin still crispy and cracking shure ain't no fun.

you need an abandoned airplane track to try this.

or a desert.

or better still - an abandoned airplane track in the desert!

seriously - fire ammo is the most dangerous kind of sling ammo, more dangerous even than "big game hunting glans" imho, because by that you combine two very unpredictable things - slings and fire Tongue

/as a kid i liked to set things on fire, so now there's still a bit of a piromancer in me, and, besides the security tips, i have only one request.
could you please film it?  Grin Grin Grin /

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Tito

Australia
Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 10:22pm

i know the idea sounds crazy, and i understand how everybody wants me to be safe and sound, with no harm whatsoever (i think you've tried to deter me before, willeke) Wink but there is a HUGE dried up lake near where our holiday house is, so the problem of location is not a problem. if i do try this, then we will have lots of water and fire safety stuff nearby, so that aspect is covered. the only this which is not covered is the pouch and the ammo. i abandoned the idea of using hollow paper mache balls filled with kerosene (they got eaten by mice..stupid creatures). but i have an idea for using the ends of firetwirling sticks also soaked in kero or...or...i haven't really given this much thought actually ???. any ideas for ammo which would give a great trail through the air and explode on impact?

oh and Mordechaj, the reason i am trying this is so i can get the video. cos if it works, it would make the BEST video yet! 8)

Tito

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 3:02am

Tito,
It is not you I warn, but all the 'innocent' children visiting this forum.

And knowing your country, having seen the damage bushfires do, I am glad that you have a safe place to play with fire.
But most of us do not have such a place and need to realize that playing with fire and slings might be off limits.

Have fun and do not forget to have a video made.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 8:01am

www.firetoys.com

Read up on the materials and fuels, you could probably sling relatively cool burning fuels using kevlar balls or the like from a woven firestring pouch, or whatever you choose.

You might want to avoid slinging during the summer...as things tend to be a little more dry.

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 8:24am

what ever the material of the sling is - soak it in water.

tennis balls filled with lead/stones... and sprayed with lighter fluid will fly good, and leave a nice trail in the air, but they will not explode.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick)