Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started clean up of the casting styles page (Read 2466 times)
nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Started clean up of the casting styles page
Jun 24th, 2006 at 4:49am

Hey,

Have been reading again. Started editing, got annoyed, started clean up and rationalisation of casting styles- then thought maybe I should let you know. 

http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Casting_Styles

Suggestions on layout welcome but I am going to keep going, editing and rationalising that is. Have stopped for today because I have RL to do.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Started clean up of the casting styles page
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 10:43am

looks good.  keep up the good work!

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2006 at 8:54pm

Thanks nightweave!  It's looking really good!

IP Logged

Cliff
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 6:51pm

I want to to some work on the wiki in a bit, so I was wondering what I could do. 

I would be interested in working on the casting style section.   The main flaw with it is that the styles are described in different ways, and some are unnecessarily long, and others are too short / need elaboration.  Also, there is much redundant information.

Perhaps we should standardize a format.  I think that the figure 8 is described in an excellent format (and the illustration does a lot of good)

http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Casting_Styles#Figure_Eight

However, it is a little bit long.  I just wanted to know how others felt about a standardized format, and their opinions on what it should look like.  I will try to do a sample or two in a few days, and so I can see what other think about them, before I waste time doing unneeded/wasted work.

paracord sling tutorial thread: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196026630
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 7:50am

Hello Cliff,

Have tried to standardise the casting styles page a couple of times but the authors of their parts of this page do have the right to change them back as is the case if you have a look through the histories on the page itself.

To be honest I think due to the type of contribution given by slingers there is no real way to standardise the information without getting it all from one writer and editor. It is also almost impossible to get them to read a style sheet or even understand what one is without compromising the level of care to do something on the wiki. That is why wiki's are the way they are, all I currently do for the wiki is try and keep it logical and clean, look at the history and you can see that has been done.

Also bringing standardisation brings up other problems like which one, American, British, Australian, Canadian?  Personally I am an Australian so I edit so, but I do pay particular attention to making it as general as possible while still being Australian. Either way it really isn't as simple as going why don't we standardise I rather like the: "Do it my way" version seeing as I want to do the editing.

If I thought people would read it I'd do a style guide for the wiki, but it's just as easy for me to give the wiki a once over every couple of months to make sure they, the contributers, are playing fair than to sit down a write a style guide which people won't read.

Anyway that's my two cents.

Nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

slingwizzy
Descens

Slinging rocks!

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 8:22am

looks good indeed, well done Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)