Send Topic Print
knapping (Read 2720 times)
cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

knapping
Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:51pm

i have heard of obidian  knives and was wondering if any one can describe how they are knaped?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: knapping
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:36pm

try doing a search.  there have been alot of good posts about that over time.  remember to set the max age since last post to something really high.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:40am

Basically, you have to hit the larger rock with a smaller one at just the right angle and area to detach a large flake, preferably about 6-7 inches in length. You're going to lose some material just to breakage and sharpening, so best to try to make it thicker and longer and wider than you need, as you can almost always remove rock, but never add it. Pck one side to be the blade, pick a handle and start chipping off small flakes from the blade area by light tappings at about a 130 degree angle from both sides, alternating to produce a sort of wavey edge, which actually works out to be straight, or mostly straight when finished. Use an abrasive rock to abrade the top and tip of the blade area and make handle area smooth enough to hold, wrap it in leather or suede or make a wooden handle, and you got yourself an obsidian/flint knife. Granted it will be small, but because of the fragility of the material, this is for the best.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 12:10pm

If you can, go to the Great Stone Technology Show and Knap- in at Letchworth state park in New York. It is the 4th weekend in August. It's a great time to learn and connect with people. There is also atlatl and slinging.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 10:09pm

Crap! I go back to university here in Virginia then. Oh man, that sucks...

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

RockChucker

Montreal MO.
Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 4:42am

bendsum bendsum  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 9:14pm

Know whats good for knapping flint? Those old can openers called church keys. They work wonders.  Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 9:46pm

Im going to the knap-in @ letchworth. First time at one of these functions what can I expect??

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2006 at 9:00am

some cut fingers Grin

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus)